The Perfect Coach for ST John's

• 186 replies

Foad

Re: The Perfect Coach for ST John's
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
To me it just seems predetermined that Tim Cluess will be the next coach. I mean if Vegas were laying odds on such things he would have to be the favorite right? He has been successful and has ties to the program.  Yet no one outside of maybe Baldi seems to want this. I don't. I guess because he is not really young and coaches at a crappy school? If this does become reality will be fascinating to see how Baldi reacts.

If nothing else we'd have a lot more information about what kind of car Cluess drives.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »
To me it just seems predetermined that Tim Cluess will be the next coach. I mean if Vegas were laying odds on such things he would have to be the favorite right? He has been successful and has ties to the program.  Yet no one outside of maybe Baldi seems to want this. I don't. I guess because he is not really young and coaches at a crappy school? If this does become reality will be fascinating to see how Baldi reacts.

If nothing else we'd have a lot more information about what kind of car Cluess drives.

What makes anyone think he wants this nowhere job?

Foad

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 11:42:43 AM »

What makes anyone think he wants this nowhere job?

Maybe he's looking to test himself against other Division 1 coaches.

derk

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
If we get a young hungry coach that ends up leaving us for a better job we'd be extremely lucky

No hire has been good enough to get a better job. Should be crystal clear who the real problem is. The only way this ever turns is if the university accepts that they have horrendous judgement.

And then what ?

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
Will brown first job at community college - 90-10
Will brown last 6 seasons- he has won atleast 19 games.
Chris Mullin 8-35 in big east. Mullin vs big east minus depaul- 5-30

I had a better record at the same school as an assistant and Fordham96 says I know less than the town drunk.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

That would be a hire that no sane person could complain about. A head coach who gets his players to compete in his conference and against any team anywhere.

First four  years at Albany

7-13
7-21
5-23
13-15

Lifetime winning percentage slightly north of .500. Two conference championships in 16 years. Eight of 16 seasons with .500 winning percentage or less, including four with less than 10 wins. All in the mighty America East against such powerhouses as  University Maryland Baltimore County, University of Hartford and U Mass Lowell.

Screw Danny Hurley, get me this guy on the phone stat.

Man, this is some sound logic. I bet if Chris Mullin ever turns it around and leads SJU to 5 Tournament appearances and multiple conference titles, you'll agree we can look back at his 8-34 Big East record through his first few years as evidence that he sucks as a coach.

Forget logic. Practice reading for comprehension.

Perhaps get your point across better.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »

I had a better record at the same school as an assistant and Fordham96 says I know less than the town drunk.

Forget him.
You are just in a little slump
Layoff Simon relax on Ponds love and you will be fine.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:42:21 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »
Will Brown - Suny Albany

That would be a hire that no sane person could complain about. A head coach who gets his players to compete in his conference and against any team anywhere.

First four  years at Albany

7-13
7-21
5-23
13-15

Lifetime winning percentage slightly north of .500. Two conference championships in 16 years. Eight of 16 seasons with .500 winning percentage or less, including four with less than 10 wins. All in the mighty America East against such powerhouses as  University Maryland Baltimore County, University of Hartford and U Mass Lowell.

Screw Danny Hurley, get me this guy on the phone stat.

Man, this is some sound logic. I bet if Chris Mullin ever turns it around and leads SJU to 5 Tournament appearances and multiple conference titles, you'll agree we can look back at his 8-34 Big East record through his first few years as evidence that he sucks as a coach.

Forget logic. Practice reading for comprehension.

Perhaps get your point across better.

Fair enough. Prospectively I'll endeavor to be less obfuscatory.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »

The point made earlier by FOAD is correct, and I have said it 1000X here.  We tolerate rebuilds that take years at one place but never tolerate it here.

Meaning if these coaches had 2-3-4 year runs here that they had at place X we would be running them out of town.  But when they happen somewhere else we say, "See what a rebuild job that guy did, that's what we need here."  It's disingenuous and totally fair to point out.

My point with Mullin is this SJU team should not be losing to DePaul and Georgetown at home in year 3 even without Lovett.  Also I gave him the benefit of the doubt of going after a person like Zach Brown as opposed to Hasahn French and that blew up in their face.  Sid Wilson was a mistake.  Kid never wanted to be here. Rohrssen debacle. Whiffing on a lot of recruits.  Could tell you stories about how they failed to make Naz Reid's top 10.  You wouldn't believe it.  Or Muhammad recruitment. Now they weren't going to land all of those kids anyway but there have been big mistakes.  Big mistakes and things that should not happen to a well oiled staff and a person who has the name recognition of CM.

But at the same time there is no way they would make a change this early, ain't happening.  There is a enough here that they can win a few games including beat some good teams and get some momentum to go into next year with some added depth and see what we can do.  But that does not excuse what has turned into a huge disappointment this year nor does it mean 100% that he will turn this around next year.  But I think it is plausible and right now it is the only way to think anyway.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »

The point made earlier by FOAD is correct, and I have said it 1000X here.  We tolerate rebuilds that take years at one place but never tolerate it here.

Meaning if these coaches had 2-3-4 year runs here that they had at place X we would be running them out of town.  But when they happen somewhere else we say, "See what a rebuild job that guy did, that's what we need here."  It's disingenuous and totally fair to point out.

My point with Mullin is this SJU team should not be losing to DePaul and Georgetown at home in year 3 even without Lovett.  Also I gave him the benefit of the doubt of going after a person like Zach Brown as opposed to Hasahn French and that blew up in their face.  Sid Wilson was a mistake.  Kid never wanted to be here. Rohrssen debacle. Whiffing on a lot of recruits.  Could tell you stories about how they failed to make Naz Reid's top 10.  You wouldn't believe it.  Or Muhammad recruitment. Now they weren't going to land all of those kids anyway but there have been big mistakes.  Big mistakes and things that should not happen to a well oiled staff and a person who has the name recognition of CM.

But at the same time there is no way they would make a change this early, ain't happening.  There is a enough here that they can win a few games including beat some good teams and get some momentum to go into next year with some added depth and see what we can do.  But that does not excuse what has turned into a huge disappointment this year nor does it mean 100% that he will turn this around next year.  But I think it is plausible and right now it is the only way to think anyway.

Can't help myself.
So you started by saying people need to be patient that rebuilds take time.-Fair point but what most of the board not calling for Mullin's head have repeatedly posted. But of course you put your condescending spin on it.

However here are various reasons Mullin has sucked.-Yes but no one is saying he has done well.

Finally you end with he should be kept because of some predictions that you then say may not happen and even if things do turn around he still should be blamed for how bad things are currently.-Way to take a stance ::)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:23:57 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »

Can't help myself.
So you started by saying people need to be patient that rebuilds take time.-Fair point but what most of the board not calling for Mullin's head have repeatedly posted. But of course you put your condescending spin on it.

However here are various reasons Mullin has sucked.-Yes but no one is saying he has done well.

Finally you end with he should be kept because of some predictions that you then say may not happen and even if things do turn around he still should be blamed for how bad things are currently.-Way to take a stance ::)

No that is not what I started saying at all.  I said people are patient with someone else but not with their own school.

I didn't say you had to be patient or not be patient.  I said it is inconsistent.  That is not the same.

You're assuming I said something.

Furthermore I don't agree with your other nonsense.  I have been totally consistent, he absolutely deserves criticism for this year, it is why I have said he needs to take TWO BIG steps forward next year.  Some think that is too much to ask.  I don't.

But either way he'll be here next year.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:29:27 PM by fordham96 »

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
If you are disappointed. You haven’t been watching. I was disappointed 2 years ago. Only 0-7. More beatdowns coming. Modest change or no change = same shit

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »
Could tell you stories about how they failed to make Naz Reid's top 10.  You wouldn't believe it. 

Try me.

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »

Can't help myself.

No that is not what I started saying at all.  I said people are patient with someone else but not with their own school.

I didn't say you had to be patient or not be patient.  I said it is inconsistent.  That is not the same.

You're assuming I said something.

Furthermore I don't agree with your other nonsense.  I have been totally consistent, he absolutely deserves criticism for this year, it is why I have said he needs to take TWO BIG steps forward next year.  Some think that is too much to ask.  I don't.

But either way he'll be here next year.

Ok that is fair. And believe it or not I basically agree with that.

My only point in regards to Mullin has to do with patience with rebuilding. Honestly no fan wants to sit through a rebuild. However this fan base came close to patience under Norm Roberts. Again my point is if you were ever going to have patience it should be with Chris Mullin. At least more than 2 years worth of patience. Most disagree I guess. But then as you said who would they ever have patience with?

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
Could tell you stories about how they failed to make Naz Reid's top 10.  You wouldn't believe it. 

Try me.

No way not public. 

But my larger point is I would still try to spin news like that it as well it happens assuming that the ship was still heading in a good direction.  But this year and this start has not boosted my confidence.  No more benefit of the doubt, he needs to own this and his mistakes and get this thing right.  He'll have the rest of this season and off-season to try to get this thing pointed in the right direction for 18-19.

I mean I can't imagine what this board and games at Carnesecca will be like if a year from now SJU is 2-5 next year in the League. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:48:12 PM by fordham96 »

Johnny23

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
If you are disappointed. You haven’t been watching. I was disappointed 2 years ago. Only 0-7. More beatdowns coming. Modest change or no change = same shit

No doubt and Mullin has failed in meeting the most modest of expectations this year. Regression.

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »

If we are 30-36 after two years under Cluess, Hurley or whoever you will be bitching coach should be fired.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »

No doubt and Mullin has failed in meeting the most modest of expectations this year. Regression.

If all you consider is winning games this year has been close to a disaster. If you broaden the scope of the inquiry he's managed to balance the roster and amass some pretty good talent.  Assuming no defections to Arizona, this is next year's roster

Marvin Clark(Sr)
Tariq Owens(Sr)
Kassaum Yakwe(Sr)

Marcus Lovett(Jr)
Shamorie Ponds(Jr) ****
Justin Simon(Jr) *****

Mikey Dixon(soph) (MAAC Rookie of the Year)
Sedee Keita(soph) ****
Bryan Trimble(soph) ***

J'raan Brooks(fresh) ****
Boubacar Diakite(fresh) ***
Josh Roberts(fresh) ***
Greg Williams(fresh) ****

Six upperclassmen, seven underclassmen. Six guards, seven forwards. As opposed to what the last couple of coaches managed, which guaranteed a rebuild every four years. Maybe he's completely over his head and knows nothing about basketball and all the talent in the world won't help him. I'm hoping he's the next Will Brown. #fingerscrossed

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »

If all you consider is winning games this year has been close to a disaster. If you broaden the scope of the inquiry he's managed to balance the roster and amass some pretty good talent.  Assuming no defections to Arizona, this is next year's roster

Marvin Clark(Sr)
Tariq Owens(Sr)
Kassaum Yakwe(Sr)

Marcus Lovett(Jr)
Shamorie Ponds(Jr) ****
Justin Simon(Jr) *****

Sedee Keita(soph) ****
Bryan Trimble(soph) ***

Josh Roberts(fresh) ***

Six upperclassmen, seven underclassmen. Six guards, seven forwards. As opposed to what the last couple of coaches managed, which guaranteed a rebuild every four years. Maybe he's completely over his head and knows nothing about basketball and all the talent in the world won't help him. I'm hoping he's the next Will Brown. #fingerscrossed

Yes.

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »

Marvin Clark(Sr)
Tariq Owens(Sr)
Kassaum Yakwe(Sr)

Marcus Lovett(Jr)
Shamorie Ponds(Jr) ****
Justin Simon(Jr) *****

Sedee Keita(soph) ****
Bryan Trimble(soph) ***

Josh Roberts(fresh) ***

Has any program in the country ever had two separate Diakite's and Keita's in their history? Since we can no longer claim to be 4 or 5th or whatever it was in wins all time I think the program should choose this to brag about.

BTW you would think based off our past history we would stay away from Keita's. Like can you imagine the Cubs having a Bartman? The Rangers a Potvin? The Red Sox another Buckner? Though they do have a Mookie so who knows.