B and the Pope

• 11 replies
B and the Pope
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:03:02 PM »
Two high-minded brothers meetin today at the Vatican.

Yo where all the ND alums protestin in St. Pete's Square? Thought so. Bunch of jive-baitin hypocrites.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

Re: B and the Pope
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:19:07 PM »
"Look, we were all here.  We all heard what was said and we're in agreement that Corenelius said c*ck sucker."  "He just said you suck cock.  That's all he said about you."   "Now, cmon...dig into that fondu, you lilttle c*ck sucker!"

Semi Pro

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
Two high-minded brothers meetin today at the Vatican.

Yo where all the ND alums protestin in St. Pete's Square? Thought so. Bunch of jive-baitin hypocrites.

I personally think the ND alums were absolutely absurd, but I don't think you can fault them.  If they truly believe that the right to life is the most important thing to them, then what is wrong with them protesting?  Everyone has a right to protest in a cause they believe in, and the right to life is not one that is based in hatred nor discrimination nor anything wrong - in fact, despite the fact that I don't necessarily agree, fighting and protesting for the sanctity of an unborn baby's life cannot in my opinion be considered "wrong" as long as the protests are done tastefully and properly.

Meeting with the Pope is entirely different than giving a speech at a graduation.  Those same ND alums are probably happy the Pope is meeting with him because they hope the Pope can convince him of his beliefs.

I usually am right with ya choz, but don't understand the problem in people protesting something they believe.  It was about right to life for those ND alums, not who was speaking.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:05:24 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Aint sayin they dont got the right to protest.

But when the pope open his door and open his hand and you close the door casue somebody got some differnt beliefs and on a college campus no less where free exchange of idea is key, than sometin aint right.

And this comes from a brother who march 'gainst the clinics.

-Choz4Life
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:39:03 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »

But when the pope open his door and open his hand and you close the door casue somebody got some differnt beliefs and on a college campus no less where free exchange of idea is key, than sometin aint right.

-Choz4Life

Fair enough - I agree with you on that.  I think Notre Dame the school was absolutely right to open their doors - when the President is willing to talk on your campus, especially one as historic as Obama, you let him speak...and they did.

The ND alums who protested were very small-minded.  That said, I guess I was just confused to what degree you were upset with their actions - I understand now.

Funny when lots of people say the Catholic Church is so intolerant, however their leaders and their priests are willing to exchange ideas and speak with the Pres while their followers in America are not.  Interesting.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »

-Choz4Life
Funny when lots of people say the Catholic Church is so intolerant, however their leaders and their priests are willing to exchange ideas and speak with the Pres while their followers in America are not.  Interesting.

The Catholic church has been intolerant for centuries.  Inviting BO to speak at  ND does not make up for the thousands that have lost their lives opposing the church. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
Holding thousands of lives lost over the last few thousand years against today's church and catholics is akin to holding present day germany responsible for the deaths of so many jews. Neither present day group was there then, nor do they do things similar to that which happened in the past.

The catholic church is certainly flawed, but I think holding the past against them now is just ridiculous. We live in the present. Russia isn't communist, Germany isn't Nazi, and the Catholics don't kill those who disagree with them anymore.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
Holding thousands of lives lost over the last few thousand years against today's church and catholics is akin to holding present day germany responsible for the deaths of so many jews. Neither present day group was there then, nor do they do things similar to that which happened in the past.

The catholic church is certainly flawed, but I think holding the past against them now is just ridiculous. We live in the present. Russia isn't communist, Germany isn't Nazi, and the Catholics don't kill those who disagree with them anymore.

I am Catholic and I was not trying to hold anyone responsible for it.  My point was only that inviting BO to Notre Dame does not in any way mean that the Catholic Church is now tolerant.  One liberal act by ND does not cure all the ills--and thre are plenty happening right now.

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Ok I agree w you.  But what NDs invitation did do is prove that they are truly a catholic ACADEMIC institution.  ND often gets marked as "the" catholic u in america and they are very religious but also hold true to the principles of a top notch academic institution.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:59 AM »
Every shitbag country and its leaders are shitting on Obama

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:28 AM »

this has no relevance to this topic at all...start your own...and you're supposedly a MOD...::eye roll::

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »

this has no relevance to this topic at all...start your own...and you're supposedly a MOD...::eye roll::

Im just stirring the pot