Gov. Carey

• 5 replies
Gov. Carey
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
Think it should be noted on this here site that former NY Gov Hugh Carey - a St. Johns man - passed on.

May you rest in everlastin peace in His grace.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Re: Gov. Carey
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »

Hugh Carey a great Governor that solved NYC and NYS fiscal crisis in the 1970's, May he rest in Peace.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
R.I.P.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
St.John's alum Hugh Carey may also be remembered as the individual who lead the appropriation that funded the Carrier Dome.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
St.John's alum Hugh Carey may also be remembered as the individual who lead the appropriation that funded the Carrier Dome.

And the horde that calls themselves NY's team. 

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »
He was a dandy guy along with being a supurb governmental leader.. At his 50th anniversary from StJ law he sang an impromptu "New York, New York" to the hundreds of fellow grads in the Carnesecca Arena, on stage, a capella, and professionally
presented with a little dance to go along with his contribution. He had a range of talent that the public never knew.
On the saturday morning of the reunion he appeared at our shared suite with Irish Coffees at 8 in the morning and sang Irish songs to me and my fellow grad roommates.
The guy was the real thing hosting a 2 hour discussion on government and private funding issues along with many other grads from elected and appointed offices. The hilarious, and harmless, digs and jabs between the two sides of the political spectrum, mostly inspired and provoked by the Governor, were enjoyed by all.  You could tell that both sides were on his side and both loved him.
He was a man of many parts. In WWII he was a field grade officer and earned the Combat Infantryman's Badge while leading his men in the push across the Rhine .  His stories were always upbeat, tinged with humor, and warm.
Among his many tributes is the building on campus named for he and his wife. May the future StJ students who  live there have a little of Hugh rub off on their personalities, their conduct, and their love of St. Johns.