Around Big East

• 3954 replies

RedVet

Re: around the big east
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »
By my count Big East won the challenge 9-3.  I'm suprised anyone other than Florida won.

Wasn't surprised to see Rutgers lose. They look awful.

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Congrats to D'Angelo Harrison on his third-straight BIG EAST Honor Roll nod. Hattrick after opening 2012-13 w/ 7-of-8 20-point games! #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:27 AM »
Nova blog lacing into Jay Wright. BTW, watched Temple/Nova game. Dunphy continues to impress.

“@VUhoops: FINAL: Temple Blows Out Villanova 76-61 http://t.co/ktJq1BD9

Foad

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »
Nova blog lacing into Jay Wright. BTW, watched Temple/Nova game. Dunphy continues to impress.

“@VUhoops: FINAL: Temple Blows Out Villanova 76-61 http://t.co/ktJq1BD9

"Most troubling however, is the clear lack of coaching during the halftime break. While Fran Dunphy made the necessary adjustments to put his team in a position to win, Villanova appeared to regress significantly in both their gameplan and execution, which falls squarely on coach Jay Wright."

A perfect example of the "half time adjustment" canard.   

Villanova was leading by 4 at half time, having shot + 50 percent from the floor. They shot 33 percent for the game, meaning they shot like 10 percent in the second half. They didn't score a field goal for the first ten minutes of the second half going 0-10 from the floor and made 7 FGs total. That sort of ineptitude has nothing to do with a half time speech or any sort of strategic tweak or adjustment, unless the author thinks Wright failed to remind them at half to throw the round thing in the hole.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
Quote from MCNPA's best friend

I agree with you to a point. Most times it comes down to execution, one team playing better that particular game or one team just being better. I think coaching comes into play more leading up to games. However sub patterns and defenseadjustments will have an effect on the game. It might not always result in the difference between a win or loss but it def affects the game. In regards to coach I think he stays to long in the zone and sometimes his sub patterns do not seem to make the most sense.  Lavin knows more about basketball than anyone on the board so I am sure he has reasons for some of this, but coaches can sometimes be stubborn.

Foad

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
Quote from MCNPA's best friend

I agree with you to a point. Most times it comes down to execution, one team playing better that particular game or one team just being better. I think coaching comes into play more leading up to games. However sub patterns and defenseadjustments will have an effect on the game. It might not always result in the difference between a win or loss but it def affects the game. In regards to coach I think he stays to long in the zone and sometimes his sub patterns do not seem to make the most sense.  Lavin knows more about basketball than anyone on the board so I am sure he has reasons for some of this, but coaches can sometimes be stubborn.

It's difficult to know what to make of you. On the one hand, as an outstandinng student high school and college athlete your opinions are deserving of respect and admiration. On the other, your troubling inability to properly use the quote function suggests that you are suffering from mental disability or defect. It's a conundrum.

Anyway, I'm not saying that game coaching is unimportant. That would be silly. What I'm saying is that if you come and shoot 10-10 in the first half and come out and do exactly the same things and shoot 0-10 in the second, it's silly to blame that on coaching, and especially an "adjustment", which suggests a slight tweak in game strategy or planning. I didn't see the game but I suspect Jay Wright, who was ahead at the half, suggested to his team that they continue scoring more points than the other team. There's no strategy, whether in game or at half time, that's going to coach up a team that doesn't score a basket in the first 11 minutes of the 2nd half and if there were an adjustment Wright could have made that would have resulted in his team scoring he'd probably have implemented it.

Regarding TGAPL, I think he has a defensive system that he thinks is going to work long term and he's implementing it. Is Boeheim 'stubborn' if he plays a 2-3, even when Syracuse is getting hosed?

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
"Regarding TGAPL, I think he has a defensive system that he thinks is going to work long term and he's implementing it. Is Boeheim 'stubborn' if he plays a 2-3, even when Syracuse is getting hosed?"
Quote from first person  on the board to ever use both conundrum and canard in the same thread

I knew you were going to use Smiley Jim. Once you win the National championship you can do whatever you want and it and shouldn't be questioned. At least it won't by me. Even so couple years ago they came out of the zone and played man all game against ND if you remember.

paultzman

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
Latest ESPN BE ratings;

The top of the league is rock-solid strong, with six nationally relevant programs in Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Notre Dame and, yes, I’m buying -- Pittsburgh.

After that, things already are muddy. Connecticut is better than anyone expected but irrelevant in the national picture, and Marquette remains a work in progress.

Everyone else has some major work to do.

1. Syracuse. With James Southerland doing a good Dion Waiters impression, starring as the sixth man, the Orange keep steamrolling the competition, getting Jim Boeheim within single digits of his 900th win in the process. Arkansas is the only team that has gotten within single digits of Syracuse this season. And the Razorbacks lost by nine.

2. Louisville. The Cards turned up their trademark withering defense against Charleston (the same team that beat Baylor, which beat Kentucky, if you’re into transitive theory), holding the Cougars to 38 points and forcing 27 turnovers. The only caveat: Louisville still isn’t great offensively. The Cards hit only four of 14 shots from behind the arc. Next up: UMKC.

3. Cincinnati. The Bearcats are quietly sensational. With Cashmere Wright saving the day with a buzzer-beating jumper against Alabama, Cincinnati remains undefeated, relying on a three-guard lineup that is as potent as any in the country.

4. Georgetown. Everyone wanted to talk about the Hoyas’ awful offense in the 37-36 victory against Tennessee last week. Fair enough. It was brutal. But the defense was impressive, as it was Tuesday against Texas, limiting the Longhorns to only 41. Georgetown is already very good offensively. The D could make for a scary combo.

5. Notre Dame. The scheduling gods were kind to the Irish -- offering them more than a week to savor the win against Kentucky. Notre Dame returns to action against Brown on Saturday.

6. Pittsburgh. The Panthers keep rolling, and in the process, they are coming up with a pretty sweet inside-outside package in the form of Tray Woodall and Talib Zanna. The point guard and the forward have been solid all season for Pitt, which sits at 8-1.

7. Connecticut. The Huskies' guards, Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright, are sensational. The question: Can they be enough for the long haul? That’s the biggest issue for UConn and coach Kevin Ollie these days, evidenced in the loss to North Carolina State, in which the Huskies were simply outmuscled inside.

8. Marquette. The Golden Eagles had the week off, welcome especially after the news that alum and former assistant Rick Majerus had died. Now Buzz Williams' team needs to regroup for Saturday's game against in-state rival Wisconsin. Marquette likes to score -- but can it against the Badgers?

9. Providence. Freshman Kris Dunn is still out with a shoulder injury, but the Friars keep winning. With seven scholarship players -- including a hampered Bryce Cotton -- Providence beat Rhode Island easily Thursday. And every day is closer to Dunn returning.

10. DePaul. The Blue Demons are on a three-game win streak, and while the quality of competition leaves much to be desired, building confidence is crucial right now if DePaul is going to make any strides come Big East time. The feasting should continue Sunday against two-win Milwaukee.

11. South Florida. That the Bulls have no inside game isn’t surprising -- Gus Gilchrist is gone -- but it’s still an absolute killer for Stan Heath’s squad. South Florida simply couldn’t compete on the glass against Oklahoma State, and until USF can find at least some semblance of a paint presence, it will be tough sledding.

12. St. John’s. The Red Storm keep building themselves large holes to climb out of. The problem: Sometimes you can’t finish that climb, especially if you’re not that adept at scoring to begin with. That’s why St. John’s took a bad loss against San Francisco. The Red Storm can cure what ails them against one-win Fordham in the Holiday Festival on Saturday.

13. Seton Hall. The Pirates needed a late 3-pointer to seal a victory Tuesday against New Jersey Institute of Technology. That’s not going to instill fear in anyone. Fuquan Edwin can’t do it alone, although he’s trying.

14. Rutgers. When Eli Carter can’t score, the Scarlet Knights can’t win. Plain and simple. Carter went 1-of-12, including 0-for-6 from 3-point range, and Rutgers lost Saturday at Ole Miss. That’s too much pressure on Carter.

15. Villanova. Things are not pretty on the Main Line, where the Wildcats are simply a mess. Yes, Villanova beat Vanderbilt, but that says as much about the Commodores’ struggles as it does Villanova’s strengths. This is a team without a rudder right now, ineffective defensively and confused offensively -- and rival Saint Joseph’s is salivating at all of that ahead of their meeting Tuesday.

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
providence is playing better than i expected considering how thin they are.  if ledo and henton are on the team next year, they're gonna be real tough to beat.  that's a big if though.

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 01:57:47 PM »
G' Town beat Towson in close game 46 - 40. It was close all the way. Skerry, ably assisted by former SJU Coach Kevin Clark, is doing a nice job at Towson.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:59:56 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Official @ncaastats: #STJBB second in the nation w/ 9.0 blocks per game. Obekpa third w/ 4.9 per game, Sampson 103rd  1.7 per game.”

“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB also 10th nationally w/ 10.3 TOs per game, amazing for fast-pace! 31st nationally with a +3.9 TO margin, 43rd with a 1.24 ATO ratio.”
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:13:15 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Official @ncaastats: #STJBB second in the nation w/ 9.0 blocks per game. Obekpa third w/ 4.9 per game, Sampson 103rd  1.7 per game.”

“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB also 10th nationally w/ 10.3 TOs per game, amazing for fast-pace! 31st nationally with a +3.9 TO margin, 43rd with a 1.24 ATO ratio.”

I have to question what is meant by fast pace.  I'm still waiting to see our fast pace.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: RT @BigEastMBB: Check out the video highlighting our Players of the Week http://t.co/W2Qmv2Ny #stjbb”

Poison

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

Well, we fall behind pretty fast.
I have to question what is meant by fast pace.  I'm still waiting to see our fast pace.

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: Starting Five: St. John's, Michael Carter-Williams and the A-10 NCAA Tournament chances http://t.co/edKHv8sy via @nypost”

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
Braziller: It's not just two games. St. John's struggles go back further than that, nearly losing to Holy Cross and Florida Gulf Coast as well.

Read more: - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/starting_five_prospects_storm_struggles_3OEm950rRgNFf8kzot1tMK#ixzz2ElypQHG4

I know these two were tighter than many of us expected or would have liked but double digit wins in both does not qualify as nearly losing.

Moose

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
Braziller: It's not just two games. St. John's struggles go back further than that, nearly losing to Holy Cross and Florida Gulf Coast as well.

Read more: - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/starting_five_prospects_storm_struggles_3OEm950rRgNFf8kzot1tMK#ixzz2ElypQHG4

I know these two were tighter than many of us expected or would have liked but double digit wins in both does not qualify as nearly losing.

And the other guy thinks were are tournament bound but Marco is our only shooter............

MCNPA

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »
Funny thing is that Louisville is a top 5 program this year, and yet they too don't have many real "shooters".  Go figure.

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »

And the other guy thinks were are tournament bound but Marco is our only shooter............

Think he said next year.

Moose

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »

Think he said next year.

Missed that.  So proof he's even more nuts :)