Jose Alvarado, PG, Christ the King HS

• 73 replies
Re: Jose Alvarado, PG, Christ the King HS
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
Recruiting for Kansas or kentucky is not the same as recruiting for st. john's.

Exactly! 

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
If they need another point guard shouldn't they try getting somebody with a much  better upside

Every team needs 2-3 guys that are willing to work their ass off without thinking they are entitled to anything but being a member of a good team.  Even Kansas and Kentucky round out rosters with these types of kids -- it just so happens that sometimes those kids are top 150 players or decent JUCOs or transfers. 

I think this is something that SJU fans fail to grasp.   If you have 13 top 75 kids...3-the chances are that 3-4 of them (and their "camps") are going to be very unhappy and that could easily ruin a season.  With a kid like Alvarado, Mullin can be very up front from day one about his contributions mainly coming in practice and off the court the first 2-3 years. 

Chilleb

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »
I've been watching him since junior high. Not a big fan. I think he's a fine A-10 player. He's peaked IMO. He's a little older as well. We can do better.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
If they need another point guard shouldn't they try getting somebody with a much  better upside

Every team needs 2-3 guys that are willing to work their ass off without thinking they are entitled to anything but being a member of a good team.  Even Kansas and Kentucky round out rosters with these types of kids -- it just so happens that sometimes those kids are top 150 players or decent JUCOs or transfers. 

I think this is something that SJU fans fail to grasp.   If you have 13 top 75 kids...3-the chances are that 3-4 of them (and their "camps") are going to be very unhappy and that could easily ruin a season.  With a kid like Alvarado, Mullin can be very up front from day one about his contributions mainly coming in practice and off the court the first 2-3 years. 
Agree with this. If Alvarado buys in and accepts his role early in his career, he's a nice addition. Worst case he transfers, best case he pushes Lovett and can be a steady upperclassman in a few years.

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »
I've been watching him since junior high. Not a big fan. I think he's a fine A-10 player. He's peaked IMO. He's a little older as well. We can do better.

Agree

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »
I kind of like him.

I like his moxie, he definitely has his head up and can run a fast break. Also loved when he set up that steal on the inbounds after a made basket, shows how crafty he is.  He looks real comfortable in the pick and roll as well. My only question s can he shoot it from deep? Hasn't shown that yet. I think he would be a pretty good 4 year PG for us. Not a star but the kind of kid who's a pain to play against.

derk

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:43 PM »

Unless you're an elite program, you can't have 13 top kids.. There is nothing wrong with having a nice 4 year kid who is willing to play back-up for 2 or 3 years and then step up his last two.
Plus, you also have the benefit of recruiting a local kid. 

Slice used to do that all the time at Pitt.

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
Exactly. A kid like Ron Ramon comes to mind.

derk

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
Exactly. A kid like Ron Ramon comes to mind.

Levance Fields. Didn't he also get one of the Gibbs brothers.

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
This guy out of the picture?

QuanMan

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2016, 02:18:46 PM »
Isaiah Washington > Markquis Nowell > Alvarado
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
@AlvaradoJose15 - Best PG in the city
Rutgers, Seton Hall in pitched battle for top hoops recruit nyp.st/2cMpCML via @nypostsports

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »
@AlvaradoJose15 - Best PG in the city
Rutgers, Seton Hall in pitched battle for top hoops recruit nyp.st/2cMpCML via @nypostsports

Yuck. Better off going mid major

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2016, 11:05:12 AM »
Why ya think? 

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
Why ya think? 

Are those the 2 top schools pursuing him?

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
Gtech too, I believe.  There were others but I have no idea how serious the interest.

Have heard mixed things.  Some people think the kid could do very well in one of the big conferences.  Others think a step down conference-wise is better.

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »
Gtech too, I believe.  There were others but I have no idea how serious the interest.

Have heard mixed things.  Some people think the kid could do very well in one of the big conferences.  Others think a step down conference-wise is better.

That's what I'm thinking. Looks like the bigs dropped off this kid. He should go play for Massielo

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
Why not Iona.

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2016, 03:52:27 PM »