Rugby

• 12 replies

LoganK

Rugby
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »
So I'm watching the Varsity Cup Championship in rugby between BYU and Cal.  I have no idea what's going on but it's entertaining as hell and I want to play, lol.  Anyone have any clue how rugby works?

TONYD3

Re: Rugby
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »
So I'm watching the Varsity Cup Championship in rugby between BYU and Cal.  I have no idea what's going on but it's entertaining as hell and I want to play, lol.  Anyone have any clue how rugby works?
I don't know how old you are. I wanted to play in college never did and then in early to mid 20's. Just turned 36. To old. Their are teams locally. They always are looking for players. I always wanted to play. Good luck hope you do it.

LoganK

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »
I'd first have to learn how to play.  So far it seems like a combination of football and wrestling with a little bit of soccer mixed in. Like I said, looks fun, but I have no idea what's going on, lol.  Maybe I'll look in to it.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
Teams know that. Beginners are welcome.

esuhr

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
Logan,

Rugby is a great game... there is a place on the field for just about any size, shape or speed.  Most of the clubs in the NY area are part of the Met Rugby Union.  You can find a club near you through their site I would think.  My brother played with the club in Rockaway and they were a great group of guys.  I don't know if they still do but Rockaway used to host a big sevens tournament in June t Ft Tilden.  It was always a good time...

esuhr

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »
My bad... the Met Union is now the Empire Rugby Football Union.  The directory can be found here:

http://empiregurugby.com/contentPage/280735/senior_men

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 11:07:35 PM »
Logan,

Rugby is a great game... there is a place on the field for just about any size, shape or speed.  Most of the clubs in the NY area are part of the Met Rugby Union.  You can find a club near you through their site I would think.  My brother played with the club in Rockaway and they were a great group of guys.  I don't know if they still do but Rockaway used to host a big sevens tournament in June t Ft Tilden.  It was always a good time...

7's was a great day in Rockaway. I never played but all my boys did

redslope

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
Rugby is great game.  You can regularly catch matches on Fox sports.  Some of the best are the Tri Nation between South Africa/Australia/New Zealand.  Amazing how hard the game is and played without equipment like our football which derived from rugby.  People believe that the equipment worn by FB players increases the injuries as players use their bodies/heads in tackling causing significantly more concussions.  Locally Xavier HS has a team that has won a number of national championships.

From History SJU had a very successful rugby club in the 1970's to 1985 when the administration banned the Club for a rugby disease--too much partying.  I know one of the guys who played until the club was disbanded and he and a few of the "old boys" were among a group that went on to form of the Village Lions.  They have a web site and you can go to it and locate date/time of any games coming up.  After game get togethers are fun.  It would be great if President Bobby could allow a new on campus club because it would be a great way to spend an afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:11:53 PM by redslope »

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
Rugby is an amazing sport...

I attended Xavier High School is Manhattan and played rubgy there while in school. Xavier HS has one of the premier high school rugby programs in tyhe country and are currently ranked #4 in the country.

My friend, former classmate and coach at Xavier, Mike Tolkin, is currently the Head Coach of the  USA Eagles - the US Men's National Team. Two former Xavier Ruggers are currently Eagles.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »
I played at Stony Brook for a season when I quit the Football team, then a short while for a men's team that played at Cantiague park for a brief stint.  I still can't explain the rules to you if I tried but it was a lot of fun.  Basically run with the ball forward, can only pass the ball backward, but can kick forward.  Very tiring game, lemme tell you.  No real timeouts and always running.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
I played two years at SJU. What a great time. Too bad the program at SJU no longer exists. Doc was the man!!! 

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:02:18 PM »
I played at Stony Brook for a season when I quit the Football team, then a short while for a men's team that played at Cantiague park for a brief stint.  I still can't explain the rules to you if I tried but it was a lot of fun.  Basically run with the ball forward, can only pass the ball backward, but can kick forward.  Very tiring game, lemme tell you.  No real timeouts and always running.

What years did you play at Stony Brook..?

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »

What years did you play at Stony Brook..?

Sorry pmg, just saw this.  94-95'.  For one season.