Game 9: Cal St. Northridge

• 135 replies

Foad

Re: Game 9: Cal St. Northridge
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
Mussini has been one of our most solid defenders this year -- I won't argue that is probably not a good sign sign, but it is true.

Yeah solid like molasses in February.

Foad

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
If Mussini isn't hitting jump shots,

Set shots, shirley.

« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »
Now is the time to tinker with lineups. Not in big East play. See who works better together against these scrub teams

Ponds and Lovett are the top 2 players on the team. Noone is saying otherwise

Best players play. Tinker with everyone else.
30 plus for Ponds and Lovett
Ahmed should play however many minutes he is not in foul trouble.
Mussini 15
Don't care about anyone else

There's not much else to tinker with but our guards. We need 1 of these guys on the court at all times. They can both start down the road, but let's see who works better with Ellison and who works better with Mussini.
I'd rather find out which front court combinations are best.  Ahmed + Sima?  Owens + Yakwe?  Let those guys develop chemistry in moving without the ball on offense and on the defensive glass.

I actually think our best defensive lineup would be if Owens, Sima and Yakwe can play the front court along with Ponds and Lovett in the back court with Ahmed as the 6th man. I think this would allow Ponds and Lovett to play tight on the ball defense as we have 3 shot blockers to step up in case someone gets beat. If we need a bucket inside, bring Ahmed in. If we need an exta shooter, Mussini.  If they have a big guard who's killing Ponds or Lovett with their size, bring in Ellison.

goredmen

« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
Now is the time to tinker with lineups. Not in big East play. See who works better together against these scrub teams

Mussini 15

There's not much else to tinker with but our guards. We need 1 of these guys on the court at all times. They can both start down the road, but let's see who works better with Ellison and who works better with Mussini.
I'd rather find out which front court combinations are best.  Ahmed + Sima?  Owens + Yakwe?  Let those guys develop chemistry in moving without the ball on offense and on the defensive glass.

I actually think our best defensive lineup would be if Owens, Sima and Yakwe can play the front court along with Ponds and Lovett in the back court with Ahmed as the 6th man. I think this would allow Ponds and Lovett to play tight on the ball defense as we have 3 shot blockers to step up in case someone gets beat. If we need a bucket inside, bring Ahmed in. If we need an exta shooter, Mussini.  If they have a big guard who's killing Ponds or Lovett with their size, bring in Ellison.

That would mean at least one and probably two of Yakwe, Sima and Owens would have to defend on the perimeter which would be far from ideal

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2016, 05:21:49 PM »

Mussini 15

That would mean at least one and probably two of Yakwe, Sima and Owens would have to defend on the perimeter which would be far from ideal

I think Yakwe can defend a 3. Not sure about play offensively though.

« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »

Mussini 15

2-3. defense wouldn't be the issue.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2016, 05:56:11 PM »
Guys like Yakwe and Ahmed have the athleticism to play great defense. They haven't yet, but they could. I think our best line up might be LoVett, Ponds, Ellison, Ahmed and Yakwe. Right now, Sima doesn't move at the speed we need him, too. He's been a liability against just about every player he's up against. Yakwe isn't much better, but at least he has the physical tools.

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2016, 06:00:32 PM »
Guys like Yakwe and Ahmed have the athleticism to play great defense. They haven't yet, but they could. I think our best line up might be LoVett, Ponds, Ellison, Ahmed and Yakwe. Right now, Sima doesn't move at the speed we need him, too. He's been a liability against just about every player he's up against. Yakwe isn't much better, but at least he has the physical tools.
Agree with this . Play sima more if the team is big. Problem is foul trouble. Ahmed  ant stay out of it.

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »

Mussini 15

Don't get me started on the lack of a zone. It is mind-boggling.

Marillac

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
Mussini has been one of our most solid defenders this year -- I won't argue that is probably not a good sign sign, but it is true.

Yeah solid like molasses in February.

Alan Jackson.

TONYD3

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2016, 06:27:18 PM »

Mussini 15

Watching seton hall now. Hawaii zone slowing them down in forst half.

paultzman

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »

Mussini 15

You do know that game was played last night?

goredmen

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Mussini 15

Damn why'd you tell him. I was gonna try and get him to bite on a 2nd half bet

TONYD3

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2016, 06:48:43 PM »

Mussini 15

Yeah should have mentioned, I DVr all big east games . Watch the ones that interest me quick

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »

[/quote]

They played a little bit against northridge. Did not look good but really seemed like it was due to not knowing what they should do not so much that they can't do it. When Owens was in the middle of the 2-3 there were times he was guarding the ball at the top of the key and at the corner of the baseline.  Interior defense. Interior. Big guys should stay put, control space, and not be so worried about guarding 15ft+ from the hoop. Try to form somewhat of a group effort.

Its weird, our team seems so unselfish on offense but on defense they gamble and let their teammates out to dry on so many occasions. I think you let ponds be the guy who takes his chances. So far not only has he shown the best ability to force steals and get deflections but hes also proven to be crafty and canny not committing too many fouls in the process.  Too good of hands not to let him.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:49:02 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
Just wanted to say that we easily let opposing guards penetrate that leads to our bigs rotating and going for blocks.  Which leads to either no rebound or an interior pass for an easy layup. Our guards need to stay in front of their defensive assignments.

Looking at you, Ellison.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:21:22 PM by Towerofshred »