St. John's comments on Executive Order on Immigration

• 279 replies

Poison

Re: St. John's comments on Executive Order on Immigration
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
So are you saying i

And as someone who lost family and over 25 others on 9/11 I say cram it Bobby.

The Saudis are still more than welcome here.

So explain the holes

So are you saying include them too or just allow everyone in?

I'm saying that if you think this is about our safety, your argument has some serious holes in it.

No, I'm not saying just allow everyone in. I'm saying that Trump is a bigot, and his decision is driven by bigotry. It has nothing to do with our safety. Don't you find it telling that Saudi Arabia isn't one of the counties that has been banned?

I'm  fine with including Saudi Arabia as well.  Trump being a bigot is your opinion on
on Trump.  If the ban saves one American life it's worth it.

How will this ban save lives? Trump has banned Muslim immigrants from countries who are not the country that is responsible for 9/11. Yet people from Saudi Arabia are welcome here. Instead of casually tossing them into the mix, shouldn't you question this choice?

The 7 countries are the top breeding areas for Isis at the moment. I don't see what the propblem is with more screening and vetting. As Mullin said, if it saves 1 American life it is a success.

Obama did a damn good job protecting our borders. He was dialed in. He wanted to actually do the job. This imbecile is only concerned with his ratings. He could give a shit about this country. There is nothing American about that pussy.

If you don't want to let someone in, don't. It's worked for the last 8 years, but somehow now it's a good idea to announce a ban? WTF for? Who do you think will really pay the price for this? How many on the fence, young, angry Muslims who are already living in this country just became radicalized with this "shrewd" move? Think this will save an American life? I think it's going to get thousands of innocent Americans killed. ISIS was never a problem on our soil. Kiss that shit goodbye.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:08:25 AM by Poison »

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

I'm saying that if you think this is about our safety, your argument has some serious holes in it.

No, I'm not saying just allow everyone in. I'm saying that Trump is a bigot, and his decision is driven by bigotry. It has nothing to do with our safety. Don't you find it telling that Saudi Arabia isn't one of the counties that has been banned?

I'm  fine with including Saudi Arabia as well.  Trump being a bigot is your opinion on

How will this ban save lives? Trump has banned Muslim immigrants from countries who are not the country that is responsible for 9/11. Yet people from Saudi Arabia are welcome here. Instead of casually tossing them into the mix, shouldn't you question this choice?

The 7 countries are the top breeding areas for Isis at the moment. I don't see what the propblem is with more screening and vetting. As Mullin said, if it saves 1 American life it is a success.

Obama did a damn good job protecting our borders. He was dialed in. He wanted to actually do the job. This imbecile is only concerned with his ratings. He could give a shit about this country. There is nothing American about that pussy.

If you don't want to let someone in, don't. It's worked for the last 8 years, but somehow now it's a good idea to announce a ban? WTF for? Who do you think will really pay the price for this? How many on the fence, young, angry Muslims who are already living in this country just became radicalized with this "shrewd" move? Think this will save an American life? I think it's going to get thousands of innocent Americans killed. ISIS was never a problem on our soil. Kiss that shit goodbye.

Ask the Boston Marathon victims how well that worked

Poison

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 08:46:36 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

You're looking at the alternative facts. The two brothers in Boston were American citizens.

Foad

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
You're looking at the alternative facts. The two brothers in Boston were American citizens.

No. Both came to the US under a grant of political asylum. One was naturalized, the other wasn't.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

They were born here or came as refugees?

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
gempeshaw could have done more to speak about the mission of the school and how current government policy makes it more difficult to fulfill that mission.  http://www.stjohns.edu/about/our-mission
" We are committed to a life of stewardship as a caretaker of God-given talents, resources and knowledge, and caregiver responding to the needs of others." 
"Awareness of and esteem for all individuals. A courteous regard for all people whose diversity is embraced and shared in learning, teaching and service to others within the University community and beyond." 
"Our community, which comprises members of many faiths, strives for an openness that is “wholly directed to all that is true, all that deserves respect, all that is honest, pure, admirable, decent, virtuous, or worthy of praise”"
"Wherever possible, we devote our intellectual and physical resources to search out the causes of poverty and social injustice and to encourage solutions that are adaptable, effective, and concrete. In the Vincentian tradition, we seek to foster a world view and to further efforts toward global harmony and development by creating an atmosphere in which all may imbibe and embody the spirit of compassionate concern for others so characteristic of Vincent."

I think the university mission is about rising above fear and hate and helping those in need, irrespective of faith, and training talented students to carry out that mission.  There may be some risk in doing that, but being catholic is about doing what is right even when it is the more difficult thing to do (remember that guy, jesus?).  that's not a political statement, whether dem, repub, or other, the university should stand for doing what is right  as a Catholic-Vincention University

Foad

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
They were born here or came as refugees?

They were furriners. The father was granted political asylum, the kids received derivative asylum. The live one was naturalized, the dead one wasn't.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
I think the university mission is about rising above fear and hate and helping those in need, irrespective of faith, and training talented students to carry out that mission.  There may be some risk in doing that, but being catholic is about doing what is right even when it is the more difficult thing to do (remember that guy, jesus?).  that's not a political statement, whether dem, repub, or other, the university should stand for doing what is right  as a Catholic-Vincention University

I think the university should be wary of calling half their donors bigots because they disagree with their politics. It's not so bad when you do it, but it could affect their bottom line.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »

I think the university should be wary of calling half their donors bigots because they disagree with their politics. It's not so bad when you do it, but it could affect their bottom line.

Yup, they were better off saying nothing. I see Marquette had a similar release

Foad

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »

Anything that makes Chuck Schumer cry has to be good for the country.

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »

Anything that makes Chuck Schumer cry has to be good for the country.

Ya he deserves an Oscar for that performance

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »
Trumps action will not save American lives, ultimately it will cost lives.  He is playing into the Islamist terrorists hand by providing another reason for Muslim's, home and abroad, to radicalize.  If you are a young Muslim in Brooklyn this is going to piss you off, perhaps enough to buy the radical agenda.  This agenda is fulfilling a campaign promise by a man who often speaks before he thinks.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
Trumps action will not save American lives, ultimately it will cost lives.  He is playing into the Islamist terrorists hand by providing another reason for Muslim's, home and abroad, to radicalize.  If you are a young Muslim in Brooklyn this is going to piss you off, perhaps enough to buy the radical agenda.  This agenda is fulfilling a campaign promise by a man who often speaks before he thinks.

If a six month ban on immigration from seven countries causes a young Muslim in Brooklyn to commit mass murder because of his religious beliefs then their really is a problem with Islam.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
So are you saying i

So explain the holes

And that would be a factor because you like others don't give a hoot if those immigrants coming into our country bother to do it legally and become lawful citizens.

redslope

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 01:09:25 PM »
I never thought I would be on the same side of an argument as the Koch Brothers but when their Funded think tank, the Cato Institute is against the Exec Order on Immigration and points out that over the 40 years from 1975 to 2015 no immigrant from these 7 countries has come and killed an American in the USA we are in agreement. 

Also we are walking away from one of our allies by excluding Iraqi's where people have put their lives at risk to help us.  The stories of Iraq war vets this weekend were very telling when they expressed gratitude to the interpretors and other assistants who helped our troops and now need out protection but were being turned away. 

This was a stupidly written order that shows no thought by a president who can only think in 140 character ideas; he can not go deeper. This was not reviewed by State, Defense and treasury.

I also wondered why Saudi Arabia was not on the list along with Egypt and UAE.  Isn't it interesting that the Trump Organization has businesses in those 3 countries but now of the 7 named,

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
I never thought I would be on the same side of an argument as the Koch Brothers but when their Funded think tank, the Cato Institute is against the Exec Order on Immigration and points out that over the 40 years from 1975 to 2015 no immigrant from these 7 countries has come and killed an American in the USA we are in agreement. 

Also we are walking away from one of our allies by excluding Iraqi's where people have put their lives at risk to help us.  The stories of Iraq war vets this weekend were very telling when they expressed gratitude to the interpretors and other assistants who helped our troops and now need out protection but were being turned away. 

This was a stupidly written order that shows no thought by a president who can only think in 140 character ideas; he can not go deeper. This was not reviewed by State, Defense and treasury.

I also wondered why Saudi Arabia was not on the list along with Egypt and UAE.  Isn't it interesting that the Trump Organization has businesses in those 3 countries but now of the 7 named,

Where is Isis strong now, which countries?

Foad

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
  Isn't it interesting that the Trump Organization has businesses in those 3 countries but now of the 7 named,

What's really interesting is how solicitous of Trump's business interests the Obama administration was when selected those countries. Prescient even.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 01:32:20 PM »

Would you feel better if it came from the Pope instead? Because it did.

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »

Would you feel better if it came from the Pope instead? Because it did.

Same guy who lives behind a huge wall and on top of an arsenal?

Poison

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »

Saudis Arabia and Egypt will be added to the list the second they hurt Trump's feelings.