Kyvon Davenport, F, Georgia Highlands CC

• 106 replies
Re: Kyvon Davenport, F, Georgia Highlands CC
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
Is there a list anywhere of potential grad transfers for next year? Searched all over and can't seem to find anything

Won't be anything public like that till after the season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Agree we don't need any true centers, but we really could use those Boozer or Brand types.  Big, thick PF types that play interior ball.

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »
Agree we don't need any true centers, but we really could use those Boozer or Brand types.  Big, thick PF types that play interior ball.

Again where are they? Look up and down class of 2017.

MCNPA

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »

Again where are they? Look up and down class of 2017.

Not saying there are in he 17' class.  I'm just saying that people aren't necessarily pining for a "true center" as  much as they are an interior player of any type.

desco80

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
We're talking in very broad and vague terms here.  But I generally agree with Dave that true centers are hard to find, and ones you would be willing to give real minutes to are even more rare.

I would like to see better rebounding and interior play both offensively and defensively.  But I think we're likely to get that from Owens and Yakwe. 
And to me a "banger-type", is a guy who can rebound but is built more for football than basketball.  Ie can't hit a foul shot or handle at all.   I'm not interested in giving minutes to a guy like that.

We need a backup center.  This is true.   But our bigs aren't asked to play with their backs to the basket.  Lets not lose our increasingly apparent identity by adding a slow footed aircraft carrier.   

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
True bigs are harder to find and give minutes to now than they were in the past, but there are still out there and the good ones are more skilled and athletic than they were in the past and therefore are huge assets to any team. Interior-only bruising bigs are still playing huge important on really good teams. See Karnowski, Salt, Egbunu, Bam, Landen Lucas, Meeks, Haas, Landale, Ristic, DJ Johnson, John Collins.

All of those guys with the exception of Collins don't venture outside the paint all that often and definitely aren't beating opponents down the floor. That doesn't stop their teams from pushing the pace when they want to. Getting even a poor version of a guy like that is what we so desperately need because we were dominated by other team's bigs in most of our losses

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2017, 11:59:13 PM »
We're talking in very broad and vague terms here.  But I generally agree with Dave that true centers are hard to find, and ones you would be willing to give real minutes to are even more rare.

I would like to see better rebounding and interior play both offensively and defensively.  But I think we're likely to get that from Owens and Yakwe. 
And to me a "banger-type", is a guy who can rebound but is built more for football than basketball.  Ie can't hit a foul shot or handle at all.   I'm not interested in giving minutes to a guy like that.

We need a backup center.  This is true.   But our bigs aren't asked to play with their backs to the basket.  Lets not lose our increasingly apparent identity by adding a slow footed aircraft carrier.   

Should be noted too that Sima left. Not that he was a world beater but he could play contributing minutes. Having Sima and adding Brown would have been incredible for depth and versatility in year 3 of staff. Even without both I still feel good about front court.