Kyvon Davenport, F, Georgia Highlands CC

• 106 replies

Poison

Re: Kyvon Davenport, F, Georgia Highlands CC
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
I never meant to infer that Chris is doing a better job than Lavin.  Lavin's record speaks for itself.  He did some really good things, especially early on.  And then he left our program 10000000 worse than what Norm left him.  Mullin & Co. are now having to dig out of that, and it will take time.  As long as there is progress towards sustainability on the court and in the recruiting game, I will gladly take that.

We don't need a big man to play major minutes? Who is going to do that for us? By my count, no one. I also think it we should cool it with all of the examples of how Mullin is doing a better job than Lavin. At least until he put together a winning season.

Mullin was a better player than Lavin. He's got em there.

Lavin didn't leave our program in bad shape. He was let go, and it fell apart. Mullin inherited a program with no talent, but that's not the same thing. Lavin would have had a promising freshman point guard in Brandon Sampson, possibly Chris Obekpa and yes, that's not enough to win a lot of games, but players took off after he was fired.

Lavin didn't come up empty in recruiting until the season right before they fired him. As far as recruiting goes, Lavin and his staff brought in quality classes for longer than Mullin has. It was a risk to hire Mullin, and it's possible that it will pay off one day, but right now, we have the weakest frontcourt in the BE and there are zero signs that will change.

Brandon Sampson is not a point guard and he's an average player on the 2nd worst team in the SEC in his sophomore season.

Lavin did recruit some talent but he got lazy and we never had enough depth. The players from his first two recruiting classes made one NCAA Tournament as a 9 seed and never had a chance to win that game. Had Lavin stayed another year we may not have gone 1-17 last year but we wouldn't have been good at all either. It's not crazy to think he could have spent 10 years here and not won one tournament game as he is a perpetual underachiever.

I'm far from thrilled with this current staff so far mainly due to lack of player development, but they are bringing in talent and building a foundation to what could be a consistent program. Yes the frontcourt is very weak right now but the staff did have a bite on that kid Livingston until the higher ups shot them down. Livingston would have been a major piece of this team and would have been a big difference. Can't blame the staff for not getting the green light to bring him in.

Let's see how next year's roster shakes out before making judgments. There is still time for Matt to pull a rabbit out of his hat and land a capable JuCo or grad transfer

What talent is being brought in? Between Livingston and Brown, the staff needs to get their shit together, and stop recruiting kids that they already know have serious issues. The school moved on from Lavin because Obekpa smoked a joint at a really bad time. He didn't assault any police officers, or steal anything.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »
Sampson is not exactly lighting it up at LSU and looked lost on that team last year as a freshman....Obkepa was no shoe in to be around all year or even on the team lets just say he was....then ali, jones and felix...The VCU kid would have been ineligible like Lovett was....am i missing anyone who we had or involved with?.....That team would have been 4-8 win team last year with not a great future at all.

We don't know what team Lavin would have fielded had he been extended. His hands were tied, because recruits knew that STJ was considering moving on. You listed several players, but we don't know how the class would have shaped up, because we didn't give him that chance. Again, not saying we should have, but we need to stop saying that he left us with nothing, when he wasn't given a chance to finish the job.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »
I am responding to your post about Lavin would have been fine if he stayed around the next year with that roster? That is false....You cant put Livingston and Brown in same equations Livingston never committed and since his incident he has been problem free at Arkansas State and Texas Tech

In response to talent being bought it.....Are we just forgetting about Ponds and Lovett, Simon, Clark, Ownes, Bashir....This team is 1 big man away from being NCAA bubble team/NIT and they are ALL underclassmen.

We need to dial back expectations and realize this was a total rebuild and if you would have told me we have a chance to win 7/8 big east games in year 2 after last year i would have been happy...Yes the early losses crush me also but lets not forget Lavin lost plenty of games like that too

Nect year if we are not an NCAA tourney team then we can start questioning the coaching and players being brought it

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 09:41:54 PM »
I never meant to infer that Chris is doing a better job than Lavin.  Lavin's record speaks for itself.  He did some really good things, especially early on.  And then he left our program 10000000 worse than what Norm left him.  Mullin & Co. are now having to dig out of that, and it will take time.  As long as there is progress towards sustainability on the court and in the recruiting game, I will gladly take that.

We don't need a big man to play major minutes? Who is going to do that for us? By my count, no one. I also think it we should cool it with all of the examples of how Mullin is doing a better job than Lavin. At least until he put together a winning season.

Lavin didn't leave our program in bad shape. He was let go, and it fell apart. Mullin inherited a program with no talent, but that's not the same thing. Lavin would have had a promising freshman point guard in Brandon Sampson, possibly Chris Obekpa and yes, that's not enough to win a lot of games, but players took off after he was fired.

Lavin didn't come up empty in recruiting until the season right before they fired him. As far as recruiting goes, Lavin and his staff brought in quality classes for longer than Mullin has. It was a risk to hire Mullin, and it's possible that it will pay off one day, but right now, we have the weakest frontcourt in the BE and there are zero signs that will change.

Brandon Sampson is not a point guard and he's an average player on the 2nd worst team in the SEC in his sophomore season.

Lavin did recruit some talent but he got lazy and we never had enough depth. The players from his first two recruiting classes made one NCAA Tournament as a 9 seed and never had a chance to win that game. Had Lavin stayed another year we may not have gone 1-17 last year but we wouldn't have been good at all either. It's not crazy to think he could have spent 10 years here and not won one tournament game as he is a perpetual underachiever.

I'm far from thrilled with this current staff so far mainly due to lack of player development, but they are bringing in talent and building a foundation to what could be a consistent program. Yes the frontcourt is very weak right now but the staff did have a bite on that kid Livingston until the higher ups shot them down. Livingston would have been a major piece of this team and would have been a big difference. Can't blame the staff for not getting the green light to bring him in.

Let's see how next year's roster shakes out before making judgments. There is still time for Matt to pull a rabbit out of his hat and land a capable JuCo or grad transfer

What talent is being brought in? Between Livingston and Brown, the staff needs to get their shit together, and stop recruiting kids that they already know have serious issues. The school moved on from Lavin because Obekpa smoked a joint at a really bad time. He didn't assault any police officers, or steal anything.

There is 1 scholarship open. Why wouldn't you take a risk on a potential pro?

Don't forget about Simon and Clark in next year's incoming group. 2018 in good with a lot of great kids and same for 2019. Best shape we've been in recruiting in over a decade.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »

Don't forget about Simon and Clark in next year's incoming group. 2018 in good with a lot of great kids and same for 2019. Best shape we've been in recruiting in over a decade.

I think we just found out why you don't take a risk on a kid like that. The staff is first trying to build a program. This kid wasn't gravy. They needed him. There is no size on this team or next year's team. If it stays that way, they will not make the tournament in year 3.

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »

I think we just found out why you don't take a risk on a kid like that. The staff is first trying to build a program. This kid wasn't gravy. They needed him. There is no size on this team or next year's team. If it stays that way, they will not make the tournament in year 3.

So who were you getting instead? Please tell me.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »

IDK. I don't think any of us should be asked to know. But if the University is going to move on from Lavin because of the off the court incidents, why is a kid like Brown even a consideration at all? LIU has a better front court than we do.  I'm pretty sure there's a rebounder out there that could have signed earlier in the year.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 10:36:59 PM »

IDK. I don't think any of us should be asked to know. But if the University is going to move on from Lavin because of the off the court incidents, why is a kid like Brown even a consideration at all? LIU has a better front court than we do.  I'm pretty sure there's a rebounder out there that could have signed earlier in the year.

Why look locally when we could go grab a player from the south with a rap sheet?

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 10:40:11 PM »

Since when was Lavin let go because of off the court incidents? Look up and down at available bigs and there aren't many I'd consider offering a scholarship to

Poison

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

Since when was Lavin let go because of off the court incidents? Look up and down at available bigs and there aren't many I'd consider offering a scholarship to

That is what I was told regarding Lavin. If you've heard differently, ok.

Part of being a good recruiter is being able to find talent that isn't in ranked in the top 100.
I don't think you or I should be expected to identify where that player is, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask our staff to come up with at least one recruit seeing as how we don't have a center.

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=C

I wouldn't offer any uncommitted big on this list.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=PF

I'll even humor you with PF list too. Derrick Walker was hopefully underrated but he's surrounded by guys I'd consider reaches.

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 11:16:49 PM »

Part of being a good recruiter is being able to find talent that isn't in ranked in the top 100.
I don't think you or I should be expected to identify where that player is, but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask our staff to come up with at least one recruit seeing as how we don't have a center.

So in one breathe you want better talent then in next you want better talent that no one knows about.

I just don't know what you expect. St. John's isn't UK or Kansas.

Owens, Yakwe, Williams, Clark alone is one of the best front courts in conference next year. If you added a player of Brown's caliber to it then it would be the best. That was done but obviously it didn't work out.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=C

I wouldn't offer any uncommitted big on this list.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=PF

I'll even humor you with PF list too. Derrick Walker was hopefully underrated but he's surrounded by guys I'd consider reaches.

It's up to the staff to work harder to find talent. They get a lot of credit for how hard they work. Now let's see it.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »

So in one breathe you want better talent then in next you want better talent that no one knows about.

I just don't know what you expect. St. John's isn't UK or Kansas.

Owens, Yakwe, Williams, Clark alone is one of the best front courts in conference next year. If you added a player of Brown's caliber to it then it would be the best. That was done but obviously it didn't work out.

Providence seems to find bigs that we've never heard of every single year. They are out there. But yes, I see your point. If this kid can play, and he's a good find, then great.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 11:20:40 PM »

Why look locally when we could go grab a player from the south with a rap sheet?

Who local? Who?

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »
Dave - don't you know by now?  My man Baldi thinks it is only OK for Iona to gamble on kids with checkered pasts that, if it works, makes the team significantly better...

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »
We've recruited well to date under the circumstances.  Just need to round out the roster a bit and hope everyone is smart enough to stay and work hard on their game.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »
Dave - don't you know by now?  My man Baldi thinks it is only OK for Iona to gamble on kids with checkered pasts that, if it works, makes the team significantly better...

Iona should gamble on kids with checkered pasts. They play in the MAAC, and they have no choice but to take risks. We, are in a different situation. We have no center, and yet the staff gambled on a position that we clearly needed to fill, and it blew up in their face.

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2017, 11:31:21 PM »

Iona has built a program off those guys. They've been on better side of a lot of gambles. Sometimes cast aways or misfits work. Sometimes they don't.

DeAndre Kane for Iowa St was a gamble and it paid off Big (12 championship).
Jevon Thomas for Seton Hall was a gamble and it resulted to a wasted scholarship.

There are plenty of success and failure stories out there. IMO LoVett was a big gamble. Would you guys not want him on the team?

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2017, 11:34:43 PM »

Iona should gamble on kids with checkered pasts. They play in the MAAC, and they have no choice but to take risks. We, are in a different situation. We have no center, and yet the staff gambled on a position that we clearly needed to fill, and it blew up in their face.

Tariq Owens?

Please tell me in the Big East who are the best 10 centers.