Tevin Mack

• 8 replies
Tevin Mack
« on: February 28, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
The South Carolina kid (meaning from my neck of the woods) has been released from his scholarship at Texas.  I was told over the weekend that Georgia will be a player for his services, as his older brother played for Mark Fox at Nevada.

Clemson would've figured into the equation, as the Tigers was also a finalist when he came out of high school.  But, I believe Brad Brownell probably will be fired after the season.  South Carolina was never really a viable option for Mack's services a couple years ago. 

Mack hasn't played since early January, so I wonder if he'll be eligible to play during the second semester of next season or will he have to sit out an entire season.  I said, I wasn't interested in an entire year sit out transfer unless they were a stud.  I don't particularly consider a Mack a stud, but he's close enough.  He's 6'7" and can stroke it from deep.  He doesn't need much room to get off his shot, either. 

I hope the staff place out feelers towards Mack.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:17:21 PM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

Re: Tevin Mack
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
Mark Fox might also get fired at UGA

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »
Mark Fox might also get fired at UGA

Actually, I told this particular person Mark Fox may even find himself on the chopping block.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
We are St. John's with two HOF coaches. We no longer need to take chances on players that were dismissed from other programs.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
We are St. John's with two HOF coaches. We no longer need to take chances on players that were dismissed from other programs.

I'm guessing this was sarcasm.  If not, then we're typically gonna be in play for players of that ilk.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
 Mjdinkins and for those who seen this kid play, any comparisons?

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
Spent a lot of time with Mack in high school. Had a love/hate for his game. He can stroke it and was a beast when he wanted to be. Didn't have that fire in his belly. Not sure what went wrong in TX.

Mack is on staff's radar but don't think he'll land in Queens. Think staff has sights set higher and Mack likely will choose somewhere closer to home. Wouldn't rule out South Carolina making a play for him. Frank Martin had a good relationship with travel coach. Not sure how close they are present day after Seventh Woods went to UNC and Mack to Texas.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
Mjdinkins and for those who seen this kid play, any comparisons?

Hmmmm....  Not sure.  I'm not much into comparing players, as each player may have their own uniqueness.  That's not to say, I can't or won't ever compare players, but just not particularly my thing.

I saw Mack numerous times when he was high school, and he can shoot it from deep.  As, I said earlier, he doesn't need much time or space to get it off.  Nor do you really have to worry about it being blocked much considering his height (6'7").  He'll occasionally put it on the floor, if you crowd him, but he likes to shoot the "J."  He's also a decent rebounder, which would definitely be of aide to our bunch.

Besides, you can't ever have too many shooters.  He would be an added dimension to a team that likes to shoot it from deep.  I'm hoping Matt A attempts to bring Mack to the Johnnies.  This is a potential situation where Mullin (a person who knows about second chances) and Richmond could certainly help our chances.  Mack is a kid who has NBA potential, IMO.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »
Spent a lot of time with Mack in high school. Had a love/hate for his game. He can stroke it and was a beast when he wanted to be. Didn't have that fire in his belly. Not sure what went wrong in TX.

Mack is on staff's radar but don't think he'll land in Queens. Think staff has sights set higher and Mack likely will choose somewhere closer to home. Wouldn't rule out South Carolina making a play for him. Frank Martin had a good relationship with travel coach. Not sure how close they are present day after Seventh Woods went to UNC and Mack to Texas.

I initially thought Mack would choose somewhere close to home, as well.  But, Brownell is probably on his way out at Clemson, and I know South Carolina wasn't a viable option when Mack came out of a high school.  Is that the case now?  I'm not sure.  The person whom I spoke with during the weekend wasn't sure, either. 

I do know Georgia will certainly be in play, but who knows how that'll play out if Fox were to get canned after the season.  I do know UConn and Georgetown recruited him out of high school, but I think they were kinda late to the party, per se'.  I wouldn't doubt those schools reach out to Mack again.

As of now, I'll say Georgia and Clemson are probably the frontrunners, but that could all change within the next month.  South Carolina could end up the leader for his services, but who knows since they weren't an option a couple years ago.

I'm sure I'll hear more about this situation during the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:21:22 PM by mjdinkins »