Darien Williams and Malik Ellison transferring

• 232 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Darien Williams and Malik Ellison transferring
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
Darien Williams and Malik Ellison are transferring from @StJohnsBBall , per the school

Damn.... was this expected? I figured one of the guards had to be transferring with Simon coming in, but losing Darien seems like a real blow to an already thin front court.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:04:09 PM by thetruth8734 »

goredmen

Re: Darien Williams and Malik Ellison transferring
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Making room

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
Interesting that those who claim to be insiders on this site had no rumblings on this but we were focused on Lovett.

Won't miss either. Ellison was developing but I never saw him becoming a great player. Williams was fine but never played so what good is a fine player if the coach wont put him out there.

Hopefully this was the cause of more coming in that hasn't been announced yet.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
Malik will end up at Louisville and become a productive player for Pitino.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
God Bless Darien, he gave everything he had with his injuries.

Malik is a numbers game.  He is going to get squeezed with both Simon eligible and with perhaps a grad transfer  coming in.  Plus 2018-19 is not looking better for him since SJU is going hard after guards for the 2018 class.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:24:19 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
 Good luck to both.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:13:38 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Wods317

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »
Ellison make sense to me. When I though about who may go it always him that made the most sense. His playing time is going decrease and he really wasn't very good this past season. Darien surprises me, really like what he gave us. His minutes with Clark and maybe a grad transfer woould have probably been limited also. I dont think either of these guys were thrilled to leave, was about playing time.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
They are getting over recruited ...and rightfully so...Wish it was ali instead of williams though. Would be a real problem if Ellison was seeing big minutes next year with our guards.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
It's a shame to lose these guys. I had expected to hear that Amar and Mussini would be leaving, but no. Interesting.
More disappointed over losing Ellison, although he struggled often, he certainly had some impressive moments, too. Williams really helped in some games, but he wasn't healthy enough to play real minutes. Still, he was far better than Amar. So this isn't leaving me with happy thoughts either. We'll see who replaces them.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
big fan of DW, he gave it all on the court. Hell of a role player. He'll do well somewhere. Malik developed but was too inconsistent. Curious who we will be bringing in

QuanMan

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 02:28:49 PM »
Wish it was Moose and Amar instead of these two. Both are replaceable however, Malik's mental lapses, inconsistencies surpassed any excitement over his potential. Very likely wasn't going to explode and put it all together over the next two years. I sure hope we do have some brute strength to replace Darien though bc we are as thin as you can get in the frontcourt at this hour.

If this is it for the transfers, it's a sigh of relief. Let the good news roll in.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »
Hoping that Ellison transferring is confirmation that Lovett will be back. Hoping we bring in two grad transfers and either a freshman or a sit out transfer now

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Per Zach B
Malik Ellison was a playing time issue I'm told. All signs point to Marcus LoVett Jr. returning per source #sjubb

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:35 PM »
Hoping that Ellison transferring is confirmation that Lovett will be back. Hoping we bring in two grad transfers and either a freshman or a sit out transfer now
+1

Wods317

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
I would rather have Mussini then Ellison for next season. Mussini as the 4th guard is a great look for him. He can let the other 3 gaurds handle the ball and he can snipe from 3. I think he is going to have a very nice season next year and shoot the 3 near 45%.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:40:50 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
Per Zach B
Malik Ellison was a playing time issue I'm told. All signs point to Marcus LoVett Jr. returning per source #sjubb

And Simon being pretty good

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 02:42:49 PM »
I don't think any big losses here.  Williams helped usninside with depth though.  Ellison was certainly developing but If we bring Lovett, Ponds and Mussini back, Simon seems the obvious guy to take much of those minutes.  I think we should hopefully do well in the transfer market and make some big gains on the recruiting trail for 18'.  Overall nothing earth shattering.  Losing Lovett is/was the one I was worried about.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »
I don't think any big losses here.  Williams helped usninside with depth though.  Ellison was certainly developing but If we bring Lovett, Ponds and Mussini back, Simon seems the obvious guy to take much of those minutes.  I think we should hopefully do well in the transfer market and make some big gains on the recruiting trail for 18'.  Overall nothing earth shattering.  Losing Lovett is/was the one I was worried about.

Losing upperclassmen who have been in the program for several years is almost always a loss. It's especially a loss in a program like this one where there's been little continuity this century. That said, if you had to lose any of the guards Ellison is the best one to lose. He will do well at at a lesser school like Iona.