2017-18 Schedule

• 178 replies

QuanMan

Re: 2017-18 Schedule
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
Chris has done a nice job scheduling tough matchups:

@Grand Canyon-A true sleeper this year, coached by Dan Majerle, very underrated. 22-9 last year and return most of their talent.
Potentially Missouri and West Virginia if we advance in Orlando. Really nice neutral site matchups for the committee, could be huge payoff.
Duke- Preseason # 1
Arizona St. in a virtual road game in LA.

Middle of the pack games:

St.Joe's- Picked as high as 2nd in the A10 this year in Summer polls. Very hurt last year, return a ton of talent for a brilliant HC in Martelli.
Iona, let Baldi go off here.
Nebraska a middle of the pack Big10 team.

Cupcakes-

New Orleans/Central Conn/Sacred Heart

To note:

*No Barclays game this year.

*No low major tri state teams on the rise ala Stony Brook, LIUBK or Niagara on the schedule as well which have been trap games for us.

*Only one true road game (Grand Canyon), however the Orlando neutral site games are just as good as road games against premier talent.

I think we have to go atleast 9-3 in the OOC. Must wins are New Orleans, Oregon St., Central Conn., Sacred Heart, and Iona. Toss ups are Nebraska, Arizona St., Missouri, and St. Joe's. The reach is Duke.

Fare well in the OOC and we have a shot at the tourney this year if we compete and finish within the upper half of the BE.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »

@Grand Canyon-A true sleeper this year, coached by Dan Majerle, very underrated. 22-9 last year and return most of their talent.
Potentially Missouri and West Virginia if we advance in Orlando. Really nice neutral site matchups for the committee, could be huge payoff.
Duke- Preseason # 1

St.Joe's- Picked as high as 2nd in the A10 this year in Summer polls. Very hurt last year, return a ton of talent for a brilliant HC in Martelli.

Cupcakes-

To note:

*No low major tri state teams on the rise ala Stony Brook, LIUBK or Niagara on the schedule as well which have been trap games for us.

*Only one true road game (Grand Canyon), however the Orlando neutral site games are just as good as road games against premier talent.

I think we have to go atleast 9-3 in the OOC. Must wins are New Orleans, Oregon St., Central Conn., Sacred Heart, and Iona. Toss ups are Nebraska, Arizona St., Missouri, and St. Joe's. The reach is Duke.

Fare well in the OOC and we have a shot at the tourney this year if we compete and finish within the upper half of the BE.

I'll play Baldis' card for you, I Think Iona will be tougher than Nebraska atCA.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »

Duke- Preseason # 1

Cupcakes-

To note:

I think we are playing the ultimate trap game. A mid major with a culture of winning. Iona. They may get housed every time in the ncaas but when they play us they're playing a team coming off of a 14 win season. They have lost a lot of talent but they were supposed to take a step back last season, and they did not. They embarrassed us in 1995 (70-57) at MSG when we had Lopez, Hamilton, Turner and RJ's papa the great in one game against Louisville, Rowan Barrett.

QuanMan

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
Chris and the program realize the gravity of this game, it will not be taken lightly. Iona has owned March in this town for 4/6 years under Cluess, it's time to send a message. To lose this game will make last year's LIUBK embarrassment look like a slap on the wrist.

As much as we're going to want to run with Iona all game, the key to this game will be slowing the tempo at times and working through our bigs. They no longer have Jordan Washington and we have a huge advantage down low with our size and strength in the paint much like the St. Joe's matchup. 

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »

To lose this game will make last year's LIUBK embarrassment look like a slap on the wrist.

Losing to a team that is likely to be ranked ~100 in KenPom is not embarrassing.  Losing to LIU-B, a bottom 50 team in the country, in front of 174 fans at the Barclays Center is way, way worse.

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »
Chris and the program realize the gravity of this game, it will not be taken lightly. Iona has owned March in this town for 4/6 years under Cluess, it's time to send a message. To lose this game will make last year's LIUBK embarrassment look like a slap on the wrist.

As much as we're going to want to run with Iona all game, the key to this game will be slowing the tempo at times and working through our bigs. They no longer have Jordan Washington and we have a huge advantage down low with our size and strength in the paint much like the St. Joe's matchup. 

Do you think Lovett and Ponds will try to slow the place? No chance in hell. Whoever hits the 3s in this game wins.  And btw, Jordan Washington averaged 21 mins a game, Offense was smoother with him on the bench

QuanMan

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »

Do you think Lovett and Ponds will try to slow the place? No chance in hell. Whoever hits the 3s in this game wins.  And btw, Jordan Washington averaged 21 mins a game, Offense was smoother with him on the bench

Baldi, I'm a NewRo guy, went to both Monmouth matchups last year, I follow the Gaels intently. The Johnnies have a size advantage at every position over them this season, even PG (Shamorie/Marcus vs. Shadarac/McGill).

I don't think that this matchup will be close the more I study it. Was Sam Cassell Jr. granted his 5th year of eligibility? Do you think that he and Much can matchup to the size and strength of Bash and Simon? What replacement did Cluess put down low for the loss of Washington? From the looks of his 2017 class I don't see anyone that can match the physicality of Marv, Kassoum, Amar or even Tariq and Sid.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »

Baldi, I'm a NewRo guy, went to both Monmouth matchups last year, I follow the Gaels intently. The Johnnies have a size advantage at every position over them this season, even PG (Shamorie/Marcus vs. Shadarac/McGill).

I don't think that this matchup will be close the more I study it. Was Sam Cassell Jr. granted his 5th year of eligibility? Do you think that he and Much can matchup to the size and strength of Bash and Simon? What replacement did Cluess put down low for the loss of Washington? From the looks of his 2017 class I don't see anyone that can match the physicality of Marv, Kassoum, Amar or even Tariq and Sid.

Both Cassell and Severe are done with eligibility. Hard to replace Washington at the MAAC, but Cluess has done it with Glover and Laury. TK Edogi, transfer from Tulsa is next up.  As for the St Johns bigs, none scare me. This should be a guard oriented game. Like I said, whoever hits the 3s, wins

MCNPA

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »
Duke is gonna be fun.  They are looooaaaded with freshmen talent, but besides Basketball's biggest douche Grayson Allen, there is little returning experience.  Nobody besides Grayson averaged more than about 2 per game.  We will have an experience advantage, and I suspect our backcpirt particularly will give them problems.  It all depends on how their freshmen shake out.

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 07:06:15 PM »
Duke is gonna be fun.  They are looooaaaded with freshmen talent, but besides Basketball's biggest douche Grayson Allen, there is little returning experience.  Nobody besides Grayson averaged more than about 2 per game.  We will have an experience advantage, and I suspect our backcpirt particularly will give them problems.  It all depends on how their freshmen shake out.

They'll be ready for us, but barring foul/injury problems I think we'll give them a good game.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »

They'll be ready for us, but barring foul/injury problems I think we'll give them a good game.

Foul trouble and injuries are like death and taxes at St.John's.

MCNPA

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »

Coach k gets every team ready by season's end, bjt particularly a lot of freshmen this year with few upperclassmen of significance.  fwiw, I think we should start working the charging calls on Grayson early.  Get him into a tizzy.  As far as fouls go, sure could be a problem, but once again they'll be freshmen and not mastered flopology yet.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »

Coach k gets every team ready by season's end, bjt particularly a lot of freshmen this year with few upperclassmen of significance.  fwiw, I think we should start working the charging calls on Grayson early.  Get him into a tizzy.  As far as fouls go, sure could be a problem, but once again they'll be freshmen and not mastered flopology yet.

They'll be freshman, mostly. And we won't be, yet we are incredibly inexperienced all around.

MCNPA

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »

They'll be freshman, mostly. And we won't be, yet we are incredibly inexperienced all around.

No we aren't.  Lovett, Ahmed, Yakwe, Ali, Owens and ponds have BIg East seasons behind them.  Simon and Clark sat out one year but were 4-5 star kids who played whole seasons at blue-blood programs.  Nobody at Michigan state wanted Clark to leave.  We are certainly not the more experienced team, but far more than Duke and we are actually quite physically talented overall.  I don't think Duke will have anything athletically over us.  They will have some
of the best young talent all around, but I don't see mismatches except Grayson Allen.  I think a guy like Simon had he athleticism to defend him, but he's kinda ridiculous with his range sometimes.  The pressure needs to be on all their frosh.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:32:39 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 11:31:51 PM »
Sorry, I made paragraphs but the browser or whatever not cooperating...

Poison

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2017, 12:27:45 AM »

No we aren't.  Lovett, Ahmed, Yakwe, Ali, Owens and ponds have BIg East seasons behind them.  Simon and Clark sat out one year but were 4-5 star kids who played whole seasons at blue-blood programs.  Nobody at Michigan state wanted Clark to leave.  We are certainly not the more experienced team, but far more than Duke and we are actually quite physically talented overall.  I don't think Duke will have anything athletically over us.  They will have some
of the best young talent all around, but I don't see mismatches except Grayson Allen.  I think a guy like Simon had he athleticism to defend him, but he's kinda ridiculous with his range sometimes.  The pressure needs to be on all their frosh.

We don't have one upperclassmen who has been a part of this program for more than one season who isn't named Amar Alibegovic. This team is no more experienced than the team we had last year. Simon has almost no experience. You can't drop that name because he was supposed to be good two years ago.

Having a BE season begins you is great, but this program has been left vulnerable by one careless decision after another by the staff. It's put up or shut up time.

Foad

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:40 AM »
We don't have one upperclassmen who has been a part of this program for more than one season who isn't named Amar Alibegovic. This team is no more experienced than the team we had last year. Simon has almost no experience. You can't drop that name because he was supposed to be good two years ago.

Having a BE season begins you is great, but this program has been left vulnerable by one careless decision after another by the staff. It's put up or shut up time.

Agree, it's really short sighted of Mullin not to have any fourth year players after two full years of coaching.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »

Agree, it's really short sighted of Mullin not to have any fourth year players after two full years of coaching.

Good thing we got rid of Lavin's nonsense. If we hadn't, we wouldn't have had 5 upperclassmen transfer. It's as if we've hired Norm Roberts.

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Nice that we closed the Sid Wilson thread to get rid of the cretinous UConn troll. Don't need him when we can count on Poison and Baldi to constantly piss on the coaching staff and the program.

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »
Nice that we closed the Sid Wilson thread to get rid of the cretinous UConn troll. Don't need him when we can count on Poison and Baldi to constantly piss on the coaching staff and the program.

That UConn guy got some of you all riled up. There's not too much to argue