Bryan Trimble, SG, Kansas City, Ks. - ST. JOHN'S

• 162 replies

Poison

Re: Bryan Trimble, SG, Kansas City, Ks. - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Good news.   But based on the limited tape available online, I wouldn't expect this kid to make a big impact this season. 
And he's not that big.  Bigger than Mussini, sure.   But he's 6'3...not 6'6.   Nice that he has some meat on him though and plays defense.  That will help. 
So would it be fair to say you are luke warm about the whole Trimble to St. John's situation.  ;)

More than luke warm.  Just not expecting too much right away.   
Obviously Wilson is a much more polished player, and I even expect him to struggle initially.   

Luckily, we should have about 7 deep that should carry most of the load.   The freshmen won't need to do too much. 

What is it from what you've seen that makes you think Trimble needs time? He looks pretty ready  to me. Seems to shoot it well, run well, play d, attack the basket and finish.

MCNPA

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
Good news.   But based on the limited tape available online, I wouldn't expect this kid to make a big impact this season. 
And he's not that big.  Bigger than Mussini, sure.   But he's 6'3...not 6'6.   Nice that he has some meat on him though and plays defense.  That will help. 
So would it be fair to say you are luke warm about the whole Trimble to St. John's situation.  ;)

Obviously Wilson is a much more polished player, and I even expect him to struggle initially.   

Luckily, we should have about 7 deep that should carry most of the load.   The freshmen won't need to do too much. 

What is it from what you've seen that makes you think Trimble needs time? He looks pretty ready  to me. Seems to shoot it well, run well, play d, attack the basket and finish.

I agree, I don't see it either.  Big, strong, athletic and shoots well.  Shot a whopping 45.5% from 3 PT land as a senior.  Finishes with both hands.  As I pointed out prior, he also signed with a top 2 ACC team and was recruited by plenty of schools that have been better than us.  If he can really play defense, he will certainly have a role right away.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:54:11 AM by MCNPA »

derk

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »

Not that big ? I never saw him listed as 6'6" but he is every bit of 6'3"- 200 which sure beats 5'10" - 165.

Poison

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »

I agree, I don't see it either.  Big, strong, athletic and shoots well.  Shot a whopping 45.5% from 3 PT land as a senior.  Finishes with both hands.  As I pointed out prior, he also signed with a top 2 ACC team and was recruited by plenty of schools that have been better than us.  If he can really play defense, he will certainly have a role right away.

He has a role right away regardless. This team will have to play Ahmed at the 4. If Trimble is eligible, he's the first guard off the bench. He's the only guard off the bench other than Holifield.

I mentioned Holifield as a pipe dream but should anything go wrong with Trimble's eligibility or really, any of our guard's health, he'll have to play. I'm curious to see what a guard looks like after two years of practice in Mullin's system. Holifield is the only path to that answer.

MCNPA

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »

He has a role right away regardless. This team will have to play Ahmed at the 4. If Trimble is eligible, he's the first guard off the bench. He's the only guard off the bench other than Holifield.

I mentioned Holifield as a pipe dream but should anything go wrong with Trimble's eligibility or really, any of our guard's health, he'll have to play. I'm curious to see what a guard looks like after two years of practice in Mullin's system. Holifield is the only path to that answer.

We still have Simon who can and will play the guard spots at times.  Holified won't be used much regardless I don't think.  Agree thought that Trimble will play early and often if he's eligible.

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
I missed the connection between Dixon and Kieta

AAU

Poison

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »

We still have Simon who can and will play the guard spots at times.  Holified won't be used much regardless I don't think.  Agree thought that Trimble will play early and often if he's eligible.

Going into the season with 10 players is dangerously light. That's all I'm saying. Unfortunately, a grad degree from St.John's that doesn't come with serious playing time isn't all that exciting to too many players.

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »
http://nypost.com/2017/06/07/st-johns-quickly-lands-its-federico-mussini-replacement/

You have to wonder - or I do - whether the fact that they were recruiting Trimble led Missini to leave, rather than vice versa.
More likely senario is you ran Mussini out of town the same way Dick Young ran Tom Seaver out of town.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:16:07 PM by Celtics11 »

sju89tr

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
Bryan Trimble

"Who wouldn't want to play for two legendary players who are now coaches?" #sjubb
Per Zach B
Naz Reid for one.  ;) :)

Made me laugh
Winning will help a lot with guys like Reid

ras

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

I think you  will see Clark at the 4 a lot. Hence, Bash and Wilson playing the 3.

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »

Lovett
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
I am still puzzled how we couldn't find a grad big man, but this commitment officially takes me out of panic mode unless he doesn't qualify or show up.

Realistically, this kid is probably going to transfer in the next year or two, but there are some intriguing aspects to him as a late pickup.  His 3-pt FG% and the description of him as a shooter by his coach are very promising. I don't see it to be honest looking at his form. He squares up very well and has good feet, but he doesn't appear to have the stroke of a kid that shoots that high of a % from three.  Some kids can just make shots, though.  The weight and athletic ability are nice as well. He doesn't appear to have the best handle, but if he did he'd probably be ranked much higher.  He doesn't look 6'3 to me...my guess would be 6'1 and change.  He seems to have the tools to be a shutdown defender if he had the work ethic and mindset.  If he can D up, that will change his completely change his trajectory here.

Poison

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2017, 05:38:55 PM »
I am still puzzled how we couldn't find a grad big man, but this commitment officially takes me out of panic mode unless he doesn't qualify or show up.

Realistically, this kid is probably going to transfer in the next year or two, but there are some intriguing aspects to him as a late pickup.  His 3-pt FG% and the description of him as a shooter by his coach are very promising. I don't see it to be honest looking at his form. He squares up very well and has good feet, but he doesn't appear to have the stroke of a kid that shoots that high of a % from three.  Some kids can just make shots, though.  The weight and athletic ability are nice as well. He doesn't appear to have the best handle, but if he did he'd probably be ranked much higher.  He doesn't look 6'3 to me...my guess would be 6'1 and change.  He seems to have the tools to be a shutdown defender if he had the work ethic and mindset.  If he can D up, that will change his completely change his trajectory here.

The commitment of a 3 star guard has taken you out of panic mode? We don't know if he's eligible to play yet. Maybe you should go back to panic mode until this is resolved?

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »

The commitment of a 3 star guard has taken you out of panic mode? We don't know if he's eligible to play yet. Maybe you should go back to panic mode until this is resolved?

It's a fourth guard...that's huge. If he can play 8 mpg it's a huge deal. He also has some upside. We have our stars, we just need quality depth.

ras

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
All we need from him is;  to give valuable back up minutes, to improve steadily, and to qualify.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:59:40 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »

It's a fourth guard...that's huge. If he can play 8 mpg it's a huge deal. He also has some upside. We have our stars, we just need quality depth.

He needs to be eligible. If he's eligible, it's promising. Huge is a bit much.

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:30 PM »
Who started the rumor about his eligibility.
Why In the world would the staff go after a 3 star kid who has concerns over eligibility.

Usually you take risks on higher ranked players.

And I looked at his high school. He attended 1 hs unlike the 3 or 4 Lovett attended and no shady prep schools like OSNA.

I think he will be fine.

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »

Was he considered questionable for eligibility while committed to FSU ?

Poison

« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »

Was he considered questionable for eligibility while committed to FSU ?

We'd have to assume that Florida State doesn't let just anyone in.

Poison

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2017, 11:56:30 PM »
Who started the rumor about his eligibility.
Why In the world would the staff go after a 3 star kid who has concerns over eligibility.

Usually you take risks on higher ranked players.

And I looked at his high school. He attended 1 hs unlike the 3 or 4 Lovett attended and no shady prep schools like OSNA.

I think he will be fine.

Yes, why ever would a St.John's staff do something like this?