17-18 Player Contributions

• 179 replies

MCNPA

Re: 17-18 Player Contributions
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »
Since it's the beginning of the summer, it's a perfect time to day dream about actually being good again.

Here's how I think the player production will play out.
Of course, this is just a guess, so keep that in mind.

Starters
SG Ponds - 18.5 PPG | 4.4 rebounds | 3.1 assists | 2 steals
PG LoVett - 12 PPG | 5.3 assists | 1.9 steals
SF Simon - 6.8 PPG | 4.3 rebounds | 3.5 assists | 2.1 steals
PF Ahmed - 12.1 PPG | 4.8 rebounds | .7 assists
C Owens - 7.5 PPG | 7.1 rebounds | 1.1 assists | 2.2 blocks

Bench
PF/C Yakwe - 3.5 PPG | 2.5 rebounds | 1 block
PF/C Clark Jr - 4.2 PPG | 6.1 rebounds
SF/PF Alibegovic - (in limited time) 4.1 PPG | 3.1 rebounds 
SG Trimble - 3.1 PPG | 1 rebound
SF Wilson - 2.7 PPG | 1.3 rebounds | .8 blocks

Simon averaging 3.5 assists and Clark averaging just 4.1 points won't happen. You really see Clark and Amar averaging the same?

I do. Possibly. In my head the season plays out with some key performances off the bench by Amar. I don't expect him to be as good as I hoped, which was Donald Emanuel senior season good, but if he isn't the stupidest player we've ever had, he should put together 10/12 solid games as a senior. Some of those games should actually help the team win.

As far as Clark, IDK what to expect from him, but I do know he didn't exactly tear it up at Michigan State, so I'm conservative with his offense. I do however, think that because he was coached by Izzo that he probably knows how to box out. So he should get some boards.

Clark can get 8 and 6 in his sleep.
As for AA, I'm not going to write off a 6'9 240 lb senior, but he really needs to drop this Eurostep SF bullsh*t and take a look at the roster. He needs to be a straight up C/PF -- and I put the C first on purpose.  He's got 25 lbs on everyone not named Clark.

I think Ponds will score around 20, and I expect Ahmed, Clark, and Lovett to be near or (likely) above double figures with Simon and Owens not too far behind....perhaps in the 7-8.5 range. If Lovett is north if 13 ppg, that's a bad sign. I'd happily take 10 and 6. I've got Sid pegged for 5.7 and 3.6, but I'd love to be surprised here.

With ellison and mussini gone, I think it will be hard for Lovett not to get 14+. Simon isnt taking any shots away and ahmed might lose a few minutes. 

Ahmed will lose minutes because he isn't a great defender and we have 3 new and very talented forwards.  It's not bad for Ahmed.  He will have to get more selective on offense and learn to defend, or he will get yanked.  We are lucky to have such talent.  Simon and Clark are both very talented and will get plenty of minutes.  It will come at expense of Ahmed, Owens will be used appropriately and we have no more Mussini.  Yakwe will lose some only because he regressed last year and can't hang with the offense of Clark and Wilson.   He will get some center minutes in Owens stead.  We will play small more often because that is where our talent is concentrated.   Luckily "small" means 6'5"-6'8" unlike in the past when for SJU it means 6'3".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:41:56 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 12:17:56 AM »
Since it's the beginning of the summer, it's a perfect time to day dream about actually being good again.

Starters

Bench

Simon averaging 3.5 assists and Clark averaging just 4.1 points won't happen. You really see Clark and Amar averaging the same?

I do. Possibly. In my head the season plays out with some key performances off the bench by Amar. I don't expect him to be as good as I hoped, which was Donald Emanuel senior season good, but if he isn't the stupidest player we've ever had, he should put together 10/12 solid games as a senior. Some of those games should actually help the team win.

As far as Clark, IDK what to expect from him, but I do know he didn't exactly tear it up at Michigan State, so I'm conservative with his offense. I do however, think that because he was coached by Izzo that he probably knows how to box out. So he should get some boards.

As for AA, I'm not going to write off a 6'9 240 lb senior, but he really needs to drop this Eurostep SF bullsh*t and take a look at the roster. He needs to be a straight up C/PF -- and I put the C first on purpose.  He's got 25 lbs on everyone not named Clark.

I think Ponds will score around 20, and I expect Ahmed, Clark, and Lovett to be near or (likely) above double figures with Simon and Owens not too far behind....perhaps in the 7-8.5 range. If Lovett is north if 13 ppg, that's a bad sign. I'd happily take 10 and 6. I've got Sid pegged for 5.7 and 3.6, but I'd love to be surprised here.

With ellison and mussini gone, I think it will be hard for Lovett not to get 14+. Simon isnt taking any shots away and ahmed might lose a few minutes. 

Ahmed will lose minutes because he isn't a great defender and we have 3 new and very talented forwards.  It's not bad for Ahmed.  He will have to get more selective on offense and learn to defend, or he will get yanked.  We are lucky to have such talent.  Simon and Clark are both very talented and will get plenty of minutes.  It will come at expense of Ahmed, Owens will be used appropriately and we have no more Mussini.  Yakwe will lose some only because he regressed last year and can't hang with the offense of Clark and Wilson.   He will get some center minutes in Owens stead.  We will play small more often because that is where our talent is concentrated.   Luckily "small" means 6'5"-6'8" unlike in the past when for SJU it means 6'3".

I don't really get why Ahmed is singled out as such a poor defender. Nobody played good defense outside of Owens and, at times, Ponds and Yakwe. Simon and Clark should raise everyones' defensive intensity and probably nobody more than Bash. I would expect him to be more focused this year as well with less minutes and shouldering less of the scoring load with Clark just as good of a shooter and Simon being a better penetrator.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 12:25:42 AM »

Starters

Bench

That's what I'm afraid of. We are a better team when he is setting the table. Even with Mussini gone, you'd have to figure we are a better shooting team overall. Clark shot 40% from deep as a PF (compared to Yakwe last year), Ponds and Ahmed figure to improve slightly, Wilson can shoot well, and Trimble has a great 3 pt %s and a rep as a shooter. I don't think
Simon will be completely inept from three either.  He should also steal some of Lovett's drives when the matchups are favorable.

The less of Lovett driving for finishes that leave him on the floor two feet past the baseline while we are left defending 5 with 4, the better.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »

Starters

Bench

I don't really get why Ahmed is singled out as such a poor defender. Nobody played good defense outside of Owens and, at times, Ponds and Yakwe. Simon and Clark should raise everyones' defensive intensity and probably nobody more than Bash. I would expect him to be more focused this year as well with less minutes and shouldering less of the scoring load with Clark just as good of a shooter and Simon being a better penetrator.

You didn't read correctly.   I remarked that he isn't a great defender, but also that the reason he loses minutes is because of influx of good forwards.  I also said that it should push him to be more selective on offense and improve on defense.   Ahmed is great but needs to tighten it up and reel it in.  Both on offense and defense.  Our guards are probably as bad or worse,  but we don't have others immediately on board creating impetus for change.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:10:13 AM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 07:47:10 AM »

Starters

Bench
Ellison, the player we all loved to hate averaged 7.4 last year, are we really expecting a top 30 recruit like Simon to score less?

Yes, I am. Ellison played on two teams with very few options. He had the opportunity.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 07:55:12 AM »
I don't see the point in projecting totals for the entire roster. But I'm going to predict Ponds crosses the 20ppg threshold, while Lovett dips in scoring but reaches 6.5apg.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 07:57:52 AM »
We need double digit points and 6+ rebounds from Clark

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 08:15:20 AM »
If we get double digit points and 6 rebounds from Clark, we will be in the NCAA next year.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:32 AM »
What we really need is to share the ball a bit more on offense and defend.  Our offense is going to be fine.  I'm not sure that point totals per person matter all that much.  We have plenty of dynamic scorers.  The team committing to defense and buying in at that end is paramount to our success.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
If we get double digit points and 6 rebounds from Clark, we will be in the NCAA next year.

Thats exactly my thinking

Poison

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »

Team still needs to defend. Everyone can't be a three point shooter. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, but we can't put up 75 if the other team puts up 90. Clark and Simon, and Ahmed and even Alibegivic need to set the tone for defense. If Mullin is going to truly bring this program back, all of our guys needs to get after it on d.

One thing that stands out to me is that 17-18 will be much more equipped to press than last year's team. Mussini, Freudenberg, Williams and Sima couldn't move their feet. Ellison improved on d a little, so I'm not throwing him in there with the others, but if you compare the guys who left to the new guys, Wilson, Simon, Clark and Trimble, we should be able to d up like a BE team.

If someone gets hurt? That's ALL on the staff for thinking 10 guys were enough. I couldn't stand Norm Roberts, but his depleted rosters came with an excuse.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »

Team still needs to defend. Everyone can't be a three point shooter. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have, but we can't put up 75 if the other team puts up 90. Clark and Simon, and Ahmed and even Alibegivic need to set the tone for defense. If Mullin is going to truly bring this program back, all of our guys needs to get after it on d.

One thing that stands out to me is that 17-18 will be much more equipped to press than last year's team. Mussini, Freudenberg, Williams and Sima couldn't move their feet. Ellison improved on d a little, so I'm not throwing him in there with the others, but if you compare the guys who left to the new guys, Wilson, Simon, Clark and Trimble, we should be able to d up like a BE team.

If someone gets hurt? That's ALL on the staff for thinking 10 guys were enough. I couldn't stand Norm Roberts, but his depleted rosters came with an excuse.

Defense has to start with Lovett and Ponds. They need to keep the guards in front of them. Otherwise our bigs won't be in the game for long with foul trouble. Again

Poison

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

Defense has to start with Lovett and Ponds. They need to keep the guards in front of them. Otherwise our bigs won't be in the game for long with foul trouble. Again

That's a good point. Hopefully, LoVett and Ponds are hitting the weight room this summer.

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
Simon will be able to guard the big guards that torched us last season.

cjfish

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 11:18:37 AM »

Starters

Bench

I like most of your guesses but......I expect Ahmed and Clark to be very productive......Ahmed has breakout year, 15+ and 6.....Clark 8-10 and 6.  Ahmed needed a year to adjust to BE play and get JC out of his system.  Pond and Lovett may not score as much as last year as the ball will be spread around more but their assists will be up.

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
What Baldi said.

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
I believe we should temper our expectations with Clark. He gives us a big body for the four spot which we didn't have. However, Clark was a 3 star prospect out of HS. He picked up solid minutes on a MS team as a freshman and averaged 4.5 points a game but was also prone to turnovers. If he can give us double digit scoring that would be great, but I wouldn't expect it. 

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

This. We couldn't guard anyone 6'2-6'7 with a handle.

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »

This. We couldn't guard anyone 6'2-6'7 with a handle.
I thought Simon was a PF, not many PF are asked to guard a G with a handle.  ;) :)

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
I believe we should temper our expectations with Clark. He gives us a big body for the four spot which we didn't have. However, Clark was a 3 star prospect out of HS. He picked up solid minutes on a MS team as a freshman and averaged 4.5 points a game but was also prone to turnovers. If he can give us double digit scoring that would be great, but I wouldn't expect it. 

A skill set and a body that no one else on team has + a 3 pt shot playing for a coach who encourages 3 pt shots = great chance at scoring double figures.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.