Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks

• 189 replies

Foad

Re: Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »
I would think if Duke was cheating you would find players' relatives finding jobs in NC at private companies and receiving undisclosed salaries, or buying houses at significant discounts.  It's a LOT harder to prove.  But perhaps I'm wrong/being naive.

Hasn't that already happened? Boozer's father, Duhon's mother.

Tha Kid

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2017, 11:20:43 AM »
I would think if Duke was cheating you would find players' relatives finding jobs in NC at private companies and receiving undisclosed salaries, or buying houses at significant discounts.  It's a LOT harder to prove.  But perhaps I'm wrong/being naive.

Is there a rule I'm unaware of that an alum of the school his or her son attends can't give him or her a job?   How could anyone prove it was solely related to basketball?  I don't know the rules by heart but I have to imagine it can't be proven to be in violation.

There's breaking rules and there's finding loopholes. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »
I think we hear about a big east school shortly

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »

Is there a rule I'm unaware of that an alum of the school his or her son attends can't give him or her a job?   How could anyone prove it was solely related to basketball?  I don't know the rules by heart but I have to imagine it can't be proven to be in violation.

See Reggie Bush USC college football.

Tha Kid

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »

$HU?

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »

Foad

« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

I am asking a legitimate nonballbusting question. You said "if Duke was cheating you would find players' relatives finding jobs in NC at private companies." Didn't Boozer's father and Duhon's mother get jobs for which they were particularly qualified at Smith Glaxo and if they did then by your own criteria did(n't) they cheat?

I think Dook and UK are in unique situations and don't need to pay recruits directly and ratso (and JC) are too diabolical to get caught if they are. No doubt they push the boundaries of propriety, as does everyone else, even coaches who aren't felons.

Foad

Tha Kid

« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »

I am asking a legitimate nonballbusting question. You said "if Duke was cheating you would find players' relatives finding jobs in NC at private companies." Didn't Boozer's father and Duhon's mother get jobs for which they were particularly qualified at Smith Glaxo and if they did then by your own criteria did(n't) they cheat?

I think Dook and UK are in unique situations and don't need to pay recruits directly and ratso (and JC) are too diabolical to get caught if they are. No doubt they push the boundaries of propriety, as does everyone else, even coaches who aren't felons.

Well, I guess it depends how out of line their salary is with their skillset and typical salaries for said jobs, right?  But yes I was inconsistent.

« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »

« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »

$HU?

Is SHU an Adidas school?

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
As I recall, they only made the switch from Adidas to UA a couple of years ago...after they brought in Degado, Whitehead, Carrington, etc.

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2017, 02:29:09 PM »
So wait...only now that there is an FBI investigation that caused Pitino to lose his job over we are going to throw him under the bus? College sports is a dirty business, with or without the arrests. When Mullin leaves, Pitino would be my first phone call. If you don't think rat face isn't doing the same thing your fooling yourselves. Some years ago they "changed" their strategy and began "recruiting" one and done players. Are you kidding me? So you think a kid is going to turn down a $100k from "other" programs just to play for rat face for one year? Wake up. They got caught, good for them and better for us. Pitino is a great coach and as long as the institution (which we won't) doesn't support those antics he would do excellent here.

Some programs don't need to cheat. One and done  players would seem less likely to take money. They only have to go from September until March without extra $, and can get a big advance from an agent or endorsement the minute the season ends.

« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
As I recall, they only made the switch from Adidas to UA a couple of years ago...after they brought in Degado, Whitehead, Carrington, etc.
.    That is absolutely
Correct , that timeline

tnice

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »

$HU?

Is SHU an Adidas school?

This is going to spread way beyond Adidas and way beyond just basketball

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
Wasn't there an article once that stated Obekpa's recruitment was one of the dirtiest at the time?

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »
I was just thinking, Daves been very quite since this broke.

wpc77

« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »