Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks

• 189 replies

redslope

Re: Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
Pitino expects to be fired today...

Louisville head basketball coach Rick Pitino has told members of his coaching staff that he expects to lose his... https://t.co/b6tIVNXofU

Joe Lapchick's adage rings true--Peacock today, feather duster tomorrow.  I guess the sex for recruits was under the 6 figure criteria for firing.

No need to feel sorry for everyone of these cheats because when they win, a clean coach losses his job.

PS--with all this hitting the fan for college Basketball; imagine how much dirt there is about college FB where the really HUUUUUGE money is.

DFF6

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834710/louisville-head-coach-rich-pitino-athletic-director-tom-jurich-out

I wonder how many recruits will de-commit and players will transfer from the scandal-tagged programs? 

The ones who (and/or their families) who took bribes probably won't play anywhere in the US... and that includes the NBA.

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20834710/louisville-head-coach-rich-pitino-athletic-director-tom-jurich-out

I wonder how many recruits will de-commit and players will transfer from the scandal-tagged programs? 

The ones who (and/or their families) who took bribes probably won't play anywhere in the US... and that includes the NBA.

Not sure about that. If there are no criminal charges against the players themselves NBA teams won't care. If they think a guy can help them win they will sign him.

redslope

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 01:04:37 PM »

The shame of this is that Slick Rick is in the BB Hall of Fame.  They should remove any reference to him in the Hall as it shames those who are enshrined there who played by the rules.  The Hall has a Board of Trustees that has the following responsibility in considering finalists--has the Finalist "damaged the integrity of the game of basketball"; if so "he/she shall be deemed not worthy of Enshrinement and removed from consideration".

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »

The shame of this is that Slick Rick is in the BB Hall of Fame.  They should remove any reference to him in the Hall as it shames those who are enshrined there who played by the rules.  The Hall has a Board of Trustees that has the following responsibility in considering finalists--has the Finalist "damaged the integrity of the game of basketball"; if so "he/she shall be deemed not worthy of Enshrinement and removed from consideration".
Maybe he should be thrown out but the criteria you cite is for a candidate for the Hall not one already enshrined.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:12:09 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
If I were Louisville I would seriously consider Tom Crean, maybe even immediately.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
Someone on Redmen said we may be involved in the investigation.... Don't know if they are reputable, but is anyone else hearing this? Would be pretty sad if we were considering how poorly we have been recruiting lol.

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
Someone on Redmen said we may be involved in the investigation.... Don't know if they are reputable, but is anyone else hearing this? Would be pretty sad if we were considering how poorly we have been recruiting lol.
If we are involved it would probably involve one of the walkons we have had on our roster.  ;) :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:33:44 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
If we are involved it would probably involve one of the walkons we have had on our roster.  ;) :)

Nas

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »

Nas

We didn't even make his final cut. Wouldn't that bode well for us?

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »
@DarrenHeitner
Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »

Nas

To me, that wouldnt make sense. First, we re not an Adidas school.  Unless UA was funnelling players to us or trying to.  And Second, do we have enough pro prospects to warrant t bribe to steer players to certain advisors?  To me, the answers would be no, and no.  My understanding of the schools policy in this regard was to be on the up and up after Keita and the Pittsburg debacle.  IMHO.

wpc77

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »

Nas

To me, that wouldnt make sense. First, we re not an Adidas school.  Unless UA was funnelling players to us or trying to.  And Second, do we have enough pro prospects to warrant t bribe to steer players to certain advisors?  To me, the answers would be no, and no.  My understanding of the schools policy in this regard was to be on the up and up after Keita and the Pittsburg debacle.  IMHO.

I don't think Mullin or Matt would get involved in such things.

But now we know why we didn't get some of the big ticket guys who went to Arizona (or committed to) and Auburn that Slice wanted here.

And Lavin's crew?  Well....

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »

Nas

Auburn is also an Under Armour school. 

Regardless, even if we are under possible investigation, I seriously doubt anything comes of it.  I'm sure lots of schools will be questioned, but that doesn't mean anything will come of it.

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »

Nas

But now we know why we didn't get some of the big ticket guys who went to Arizona (or committed to) and Auburn that Slice wanted here.

Lavin and his staff also similarly missed out on so-called "big ticket guys." 

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
Perhaps Slice wanted to "play ball" and Mullin said no?

wpc77

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »

Nas

Lavin and his staff also similarly missed out on so-called "big ticket guys." 

They got a couple.  One of which is in the slammer and the other a dope fiend....

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
I don't post very often but take this for what it's worth.  When Slice left I asked my next door neighbor, who happens to be a division one head basketball coach. I asked him if he knew anything and all he said was "Mullin likes to do things above board".