Picked 6th by BE Coaches

• 57 replies

Marillac

Re: Picked 6th by BE Coaches
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
2 things we did not see much of last year were alley- oops and easy inside baskets.

We need meat and potatoes and strong "D"...not Washington Nationals/Globetrotter crap.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I also don't think the alley-oop is showboating. It has a very practical purpose if used right and it's really hard to defend.  I believe in forcing the other team to defend everything and worry about multiple threats. Other than maybe Clark, we don't really have a post up game so the points inside from bigs will have to come off drive and dumps, putbacks, and alley-oops. I'm not talking about 30 ft heaves...I'm talking about Shamorie getting in the lane, drawing the help, reading it, and floating it up with his touch.

desco80

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
Evan Daniels
St. John’s Chris Mullin said Justin Simon gives them versatility. Allows him to move Ponds & Lovett off the ball. All 3 will play together.

Weird.  A certain poster has been swearing up and down that Simon wouldn't be a point guard.   Now the coach is saying he will be handling the ball so others can play "off the ball".   Sounds like a point guard to me.   

Which would make sense.  Thats was his position in HS when he was a 5* recuit.   And that was also his position  at Arizona.   

It's nice that he has some size.   But Simon is still a lead guard... not a forward.    Our offense will run through him. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:48:45 PM by desco80 »

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
Listened to big east shoot around podcast today . They had really good interview with Simon and Clarke . Both players commented that the big east is moving towards postionless basketball. Simon said that many players will handle the ball.
You guys should check it out. Both Guys seem very likeable. They are also very happy to be here.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »
Evan Daniels
St. John’s Chris Mullin said Justin Simon gives them versatility. Allows him to move Ponds & Lovett off the ball. All 3 will play together.

Weird.  A certain poster has been swearing up and down that Simon wouldn't be a point guard.   Now the coach is saying he will be handling the ball so others can play "off the ball".   Sounds like a point guard to me.   

Which would make sense.  Thats was his position in HS when he was a 5* recuit.   And that was also his position  at Arizona.   

It's nice that he has some size.   But Simon is still a lead guard... not a forward.    Our offense will run through him. 

Talk to me in January.
Simon didn't play a single minute of PG or SG at Arizona so I'm not sure why you felt the need to add that bit.  We run a lot of weave with 3-4 guys taking turns handling the ball so I don't think it's groundbreaking that our SF, who can't shoot, would be setting up our two best shooters who happen to be our best ball-handlers as well.

Elijah Ingram was rated a 5* McDonald's All-American PG and he was a SG through and through.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:42:53 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
Listened to big east shoot around podcast today . They had really good interview with Simon and Clarke . Both players commented that the big east is moving towards postionless basketball. Simon said that many players will handle the ball.
You guys should check it out. Both Guys seem very likeable. They are also very happy to be here.
Kind of like the Artest teams. Bootsy, Ron, Lavor, Barkley, Ty Grant. Jessie. Chudney-guys who could all bring it up, shoot and rebound. Artest could play anywhere from the 1 to the 5. Just athletic guys who could play tough basketball.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
Evan Daniels

Talk to me in January.
Simon didn't play a single minute of PG or SG at Arizona so I'm not sure why you felt the need to add that bit.  We run a lot of weave with 3-4 guys taking turns handling the ball so I don't think it's groundbreaking that our SF, who can't shoot, would be setting up our two best shooters who happen to be our best ball-handlers as well.

Elijah Ingram was rated a 5* McDonald's All-American PG and he was a SG through and through.

Based on feedback from friend who has attended several practices, I agree with Marillac. Simon may run the point at times, but not dominantly. He is more of a wing, no matter his HS rating.

ras

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
Mullin did say Lovett, Ponds and Simon will play together and Lovett and Ponds will be playing off the ball. I originally thought Simon would be playing the 3 due to his size, Lovett andPonds size and ball handling skills. But they are also better shooters than Simon. , As Marillac said,,  the probability is all 3 will be handling the ball.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:12:47 PM by ras »

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Mullin did say Lovett, Ponds and Simon will play together and Lovett and Ponds will be playing off the ball. I originally thought Simon would be playing the 3 due to his size, Lovett andPonds size and ball handling skills. But they are also better shooters than Simon. , As Marillac said,,  the probability is all 3 will be handling the ball.

If all 3 are on the court at the same time I expect Lovett and Simon to split ball handling duties since Ponds is better suited off the ball anyway. On the defensive end I'd like the see Ponds guarding the primary ball handler, Simon on the opposing team's best wing player and Lovett denying the other wing player

ras

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »

If all 3 are on the court at the same time I expect Lovett and Simon to split ball handling duties since Ponds is better suited off the ball anyway. On the defensive end I'd like the see Ponds guarding the primary ball handler, Simon on the opposing team's best wing player and Lovett denying the other wing player
I agree. Except Lovett is only 5 11.  May be better off having him guard the pg.

desco80

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
Evan Daniels

Talk to me in January.

Based on feedback from friend who has attended several practices, I agree with Marillac. Simon may run the point at times, but not dominantly. He is more of a wing, no matter his HS rating.

Brazillier just tweeted :
"Plan seems to be to have Justin Simon run the team.  Free up Lovett and Ponds
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:48:48 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »
Evan Daniels

Talk to me in January.

I like this idea.

goredmen

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:44 PM »
Evan Daniels

Talk to me in January.

That sounds like he's going to be our point guard but somebody said he wasn't even close to being a point guard.

Anyway, sounds interesting. The important thing will be that the coaches make sure Lovett and Ponds are moving enough without the ball. If they are just standing on the wing waiting to catch it and then go one on one like last year this won't mean much. If they devise a solid enough offensive scheme that has these guys running wild without the ball and Simon can feed them then this has huge potential.

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »
Chris Mullin has complete trust in this St. John’s transfer | New York Post
http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/chris-mullin-has-complete-trust-in-this-st-johns-transfer/

Foad

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
That sounds like he's going to be our point guard.

Yeah, not really

"Chris Mullin thinks so highly of Justin Simon, the St. John’s coach is planning to take the ball out of his two leading scorers’ hands on occasion, and put it in Simon’s ... Mullin isn’t necessarily going to just give Simon the keys to his offense. He envisions the three being interchangeable"

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Evan Daniels

Talk to me in January.

Really,  this is the line in the sand you want to draw? Why don't you just wait to see him play one game? Braziller said he hasn't even seen him play yet. Mullin said that Simon would set them up "on occasion." Isn't that pretty much what every SF does? Do you remember DJ Kennedy? Do you remember the Dom Pointer point-forward talk every preseason? Ellison last year?

Simon is a SG that can't shoot. Ponds is a PG that can shoot.   Lovett is a PG that can shoot. It's not rocket science to think Simon will have to contribute in other ways in the half court to make up for his bad shooting.

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
We've been no stranger to the point guard by committee approach for quite some time now.

Ever since Nurideen missed that game tying/winning? free throw and felt so bad about it that it made him immediately quit the team mid-season and that other shooting guard forced to play point, I can't recall his name, struggled at the one we've used it extensively.

I guess this season will be like that.

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
We've been no stranger to the point guard by committee approach for quite some time now.

Ever since Nurideen missed that game tying/winning? free throw and felt so bad about it that it made him immediately quit the team mid-season and that other shooting guard forced to play point, I can't recall his name, struggled at the one we've used it extensively.

I guess this season will be like that.

The difference is, in the past, we usually played PG by committee with guys who had the height of a 1, but were really undersized 2's.

Now we actually have multiple PGs.  Should make for a much more entertaining, and better, product on the court.

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
I dont think its talked about enough how good of passers Lovett and Ponds are. Ponds especially has great vision and touch. Lovett is as good as any guard in the country while playing at top speed whereas ponds can play with any guard at seemingly any pace.  Im hoping ML learns to play at that lower gear this year.

I say all that knowing that if either of ML or SP brought nothing to the table aside from their ability to shoot, they would still get minutes. Thankfully they do just about everything well and are only going to get better
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Thankfully they do just about everything well and are only going to get better

They don't do everything well but hopefully they are only going to get better in that glaring area of deficiency for them.

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Thankfully they do just about everything well and are only going to get better

They don't do everything well but hopefully they are only going to get better in that glaring area of deficiency for them.

Offensivly*

And I’m on record saying Ponds will win a BE defensive poy at some point.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.