J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High)

• 305 replies

TONYD3

Re: J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High) - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2017, 12:03:36 PM »
This the Norm Roberts strategy that told Cedric Jackson, a guard who has played more NBA minutes than Dwight Hardy and Marcus Hatten.

I know you hate Norm and everything he did was evil and wrong but that's neither true nor fair. Jackson was IIRC Norm's first recruit and Jackson himself said he left because “I was looking for playing time.” Gary Waters said "He wanted to make a difference and have a bigger role. He felt at St. John’s his role would remain the same. Though they wanted him to stay, he knew what I could do for him”.

Jackson shot 12 percent from 3 as a sophomore and 40 percent as a junior; under 50 percent from the FT line as a soph and nearly 70 as a junior. Seems like he looked at his shortcomings pretty honestly and worked hard to get better and transferred somewhere where that hard work would pay off. That's pretty rational thinking for a teenager. As opposed to the irrationality of "who cares about him, he's not very good at basketball" from an alleged adult.

Why would Jackson want to leave if his role remained the same? He was the starting 2 guard. Waters doesn’t make any sense.
Foad makes an excellent point. No sarcasm at all. Cedric Jackson made a great decision for himself and worked hard to become a pro Basketball player as well as a very good college player who got to play in the tournament.
Our own DJ Kennedy came to St. John’s and played major minutes in the big east. He did plenty of losing but gained plenty of experience. DJ May have only played a few games in the NBA but he is enjoying a productive pro career. He could have went elsewhere and been more successful, but like Cleveland state was good for Jackson St. John’s was great for Kennedy.
I am sure if their was a Johnny jungle when Cedric Jackson played their would be many (myself included) who would post that he and others were not good basketball players. I don’t think their is anything wrong with that. This is a basketball site. Discussing someone being good or bad is what you are supposed to do. Opinions are sometimes right and wrong and change. I can’t imagine anyone at the time being upset when Jackson transfered. It was a long time ago

Foad

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
Why would Jackson want to leave if his role remained the same?

According to Jackson, he left because he wanted more "a bigger role." A bigger role being larger and more important than the same role.

He was the starting 2 guard. Waters doesn’t make any sense.

I don't think that's exactly correct. Hill and Geno played a combined 71 minutes in the backcourt CJ's freshman year. Gray and Hamilton played 27 and 33 respectively. CJ and Ryan Williams split time 45 minutes at the three, 25 to 16. The next year when Hill got hurt Mason Jr played 30 plus minutes and CJ played slightly fewer than as a FR (24). That was the year Derwin Kitchen was declared ineligible (no doubt he'd have have gotten CJ's minutes) and Maybank got hurt. The next year Patterson, Wright and Calhoun all came in, all of whom were allegedly better shooters than CJ.

Which anyway is immaterial, since Jackson himself said why he transferred. Maybe he was lying to make Norm look bad although if Norm was recruiting over him and that pissed Jackson off enough to transfer he'd have no reason not make Norm look bad and neither would Waters for that matter. It might be that everyone's lying and you've sussed out the truth but I don't believe it.

Marillac

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »
Nice full class. Feels like a different program.

It's almost like there's a balanced roster. Six upperclassmen, seven underclassmen, six guards, eight forwards.

SR
Clark
Owens
Yakwe

JR
Ponds
Lovett
Simon

SO
Dixon
Trimble
Keita

FR
Brooks
Williams
Roberts
Diakite

It's cliche but true:  (outside of 2-3 schools) good programs don't rebuild, they reload. The importance of balance can't be overstated. 4 is the max # of freshman I'm comfortable with and that is eased somewhat by Diakate redshirting and bringing a year of experience with him. Brooks also seems to be skilled enough of a big to contribute 15 mpg out of the gate. That's uncommon for freshman big men. We just need to hold onto Ponds and Lovett for two years if possible.

To add, although you never know how things will shake out, I only see one potential transfer in Trimble and I'd like to see him stay and can think of many reasons why he would want to.

Poison

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »
Why would Jackson want to leave if his role remained the same?

According to Jackson, he left because he wanted more "a bigger role." A bigger role being larger and more important than the same role.

He was the starting 2 guard. Waters doesn’t make any sense.

I don't think that's exactly correct. Hill and Geno played a combined 71 minutes in the backcourt CJ's freshman year. Gray and Hamilton played 27 and 33 respectively. CJ and Ryan Williams split time 45 minutes at the three, 25 to 16. The next year when Hill got hurt Mason Jr played 30 plus minutes and CJ played slightly fewer than as a FR (24). That was the year Derwin Kitchen was declared ineligible (no doubt he'd have have gotten CJ's minutes) and Maybank got hurt. The next year Patterson, Wright and Calhoun all came in, all of whom were allegedly better shooters than CJ.

Which anyway is immaterial, since Jackson himself said why he transferred. Maybe he was lying to make Norm look bad although if Norm was recruiting over him and that pissed Jackson off enough to transfer he'd have no reason not make Norm look bad and neither would Waters for that matter. It might be that everyone's lying and you've sussed out the truth but I don't believe it.

The kid left because he knew the plan was to play other guys. I don’t blame him for leaving. I blame a coach who was too slow to realize what he had on a regular basis. Whether his offense developed or not, Norm should have realized that he needed someone who could stop the ball.

« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »
https://nypost.com/2017/12/30/ncaa-scandal-leads-program-changing-recruit-to-st-johns/
I'm very excited to add Brooks to the class but a four star ranked in the 80s is far from a "program changer." The braziller promotional train keeps a runnin'.

hnk

« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
Maybe.  But the program has changed.  It's time to tip our caps to Matt and the rest of the staff.  The proof is in the pudding,  on the court, on the bench and waiting in the wings.   NCAA's or NIT this year and look out next year and after.  It's been a long, long time.  They were/are right to preach trust the process.

Poison

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
https://nypost.com/2017/12/30/ncaa-scandal-leads-program-changing-recruit-to-st-johns/
I'm very excited to add Brooks to the class but a four star ranked in the 80s is far from a "program changer." The braziller promotional train keeps a runnin'.

By now we should all be aware that a program changer is never going to be one player. From Lopez to Artest to Barkley to Cook to Hatten to Burrell to Harkless we’ve seen that it’s the culture of a program and the identity of a program that will finally change it.

When Ben Howland and then Jamie Dixon coached at Pitt they changed the program by changing the way everyone was playing. They went from a team that didn’t bother to defend to a team that you were scared to play. That requires a coach to have a plan.

hnk

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »
The plan is right in front of us.  A balanced roster coming.  Fewer run outs against us.  Team rebounding. Stopping dribble penetration mostly. It's coming. Fewer turnovers. 

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »

We just got run out of our own gym with a two top 40 guards and a top 75 forward.

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
Great job by Matt and the staff and a great get. As for the quote "he'll make 3s if allowed" have you seen us play? Oh, he'll be allowed. Probably even encouraged.

QuanMan

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
He really seems like he comes from a great family, just like Greg Williams CM is bringing in high character kids first.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
Even if Lovett leaves after this year (Ponds is going nowhere) the roster is well stacked for next season. Trimble wouldn't be a real loss if he transfers as well. We can make better use of that ship.

Johnny23

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Maybe.  But the program has changed.  It's time to tip our caps to Matt and the rest of the staff.  The proof is in the pudding,  on the court, on the bench and waiting in the wings.   NCAA's or NIT this year and look out next year and after.  It's been a long, long time.  They were/are right to preach trust the process.

Everything is in place to take that next step. Now it comes to down to coaching and execution.

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »

We just got run out of our own gym with a two top 40 guards and a top 75 forward.
U really are a douchebag.

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
The plan is right in front of us.  A balanced roster coming.  Fewer run outs against us.  Team rebounding. Stopping dribble penetration mostly. It's coming. Fewer turnovers.

Better believe it... we will be top 25 to start season... take it to the bank actual fans of the program..... the rest of u frauds can go....😎
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:59:24 PM by Mullin77 »

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

Better believe it... we will be top 25 to start season... take it to the bank actual fans of the program..... the rest of u frauds can go....😎

I'll have what she's having . . . .