Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36:42 PM »
What we need is a real coach and staff. Guys who will put the time in in the offseason and know what the hell they are doing  during the season.   Over the past 7 years, because of lack of coaching, kids are not getting better as a team but to some degree individually. Every program needs some studs, but sju is not making the right moves on who should lead  this program, so it won’t matter who comes.

No.

The team needs a full roster, and then coaching can be evaluated.  Yes,  team construction can be validly criticized, but the team got some really bad breaks on personnel.

Yes, there is some awful basketball being watched, but it's hard to evaluate with such a short-handed team.  On the other hand, sometimes i see really pretty basketball being played.    There is just such great volatility to the play on the floor.  Sometimes really nice; sometimes god awful.  The team has to learn to be consistent.

Another point: If a key player is not using his head, Coach K at Duke, will just bench that player to let that knucklehead 'think' about why he was making poor decisions.  This year, who are the St. J's coaches going to substitute in for player not playing smart?  There are no great options.  The coaches are forced to give players way too much leash. It is what it is.

A gazillion times Ahmed and Ponds and others should have been benched for taking overly stupid shots,  but the coaches can't bench them in game.
Coaches can only try to drill it them during practice to player smarter.  I will argue, and I think rightly, that Ahmed is taking way better shots lately as com pared to the beginning of this season, and for certain way better than last year.  Is it good enough? Not yet, but he's definitely better than last year.    Ponds has completely regressed with shot selection.

Yes, it is easily arguable that free-flowing NBA type offense should be reigned in, b/c these are not NBA players.  Sometimes it drives me nuts the shots that Ponds takes....  However, for me, personally, I don't throw a fit about that just yet - I'll just patiently wait for a full roster next year - and then start evaluating.

I probably have an overly simplistic view of the coaching - but I think I have a reasonable argument to not overly react to the play on the court because of the short-handed team.

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
This was never supposed to be "our year". NIT was the ceiling before the season and then they started hot and got into Lunardi's bracketology and the view got skewed.

Johnny23

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2018, 10:59:49 PM »
True but the team was supposed to take that next step this year and they are regressing. 7 wins in the BE last year and they will be lucky to get 5 this year.

Why is it so hard for this program to find someone who knows how to coach in-game and develop players? It's now 7 or 8 years of this same shit under Lavin and now Mullin. Mind numbing.

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2018, 11:31:24 PM »
Okay so let's see

Players who quit under Mullin staff

Murderer Rysheed Jordan
Chris Obekpa
Fed Mussini
Marcus Lovett

Players who transferred out under Mullin staff
 :2funny:
Williams
Ellison
Sima

I know I am forgetting a player or 2 but it is ridiculous. Players must know staff is lazy and they aren't getting better so time to head elsewhere. Gonna be real interesting to see what Ponds does at the end of this year. Sources tell me he is as good as gone

“Sources.” :2funny:  :2funny: 

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:37 PM »
Marco my brother it doesn't matter as long as Mullin is around who comes back. This will be a bad team till the cycle starts all over again or are you thinking Mikey Dixon will be the savior. Clark and Simon are both good players but far from great players. You need great players to compete in the best conference in all of college basketball

Clark and Simon were scraps from big time programs. Neither are big east starters, role players..I guess. Dixon is ok, but he's coming from a mid pack MAAC team. St Johns needs an Alpha. Or 6

This is some profound stuff..I guess.   :D

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2018, 11:40:17 PM »
Norm is only coach in last 20 years where the program actually improved while he was in control and the program was in good shape when he left. I would take Norm Roberts back this minute and just let him do his thing

Thanks for posting, Norm.

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2018, 03:11:58 AM »
Norm is only coach in last 20 years where the program actually improved while he was in control and the program was in good shape when he left. I would take Norm Roberts back this minute and just let him do his thing

What planet are you from? Norm finished 6-12 in the conference his last two years. How the fvck is that progress? He had TEN juniors and a 5th year Mase Jr. and he lost 12 conference games. We haven't had 11 total players since let alone 11 upperclassmen.

kob24

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:50 AM »
Somebody has to explain to me why lav was considered bad. Y’all made the tourney in 11 and 25. He was 92-72 and got 4 players into the nba. Fans gotta chill sometimes. Gotta give Mullins and staff a chance. Stop switching coaches all the time.

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2018, 06:27:52 AM »
Marco my brother it doesn't matter as long as Mullin is around who comes back. This will be a bad team till the cycle starts all over again or are you thinking Mikey Dixon will be the savior. Clark and Simon are both good players but far from great players. You need great players to compete in the best conference in all of college basketball

Clark and Simon were scraps from big time programs. Neither are big east starters, role players..I guess. Dixon is ok, but he's coming from a mid pack MAAC team. St Johns needs an Alpha. Or 6

This is some profound stuff..I guess.   :D

You're very welcome

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
Somebody has to explain to me why lav was considered bad. Y’all made the tourney in 11 and 25. He was 92-72 and got 4 players into the nba. Fans gotta chill sometimes. Gotta give Mullins and staff a chance. Stop switching coaches all the time.

Welcome back Kob! 

The board is split on Lavin.  It's obvious that he had a highly successful campaign here .  Yet still for some "there are none so blind as those that will not see".

pmg911

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
This years recruiting class was a joke. 2 NBA stars on coaching staff where team plays at Madison Square Garden and you can't lure in one freaking recruit. Mullin was supposed to own the city with all his great connections and since they were able to con Ponds into coming they have gotten zero city kids. Bashir Ahmed is terrible. Can anyone please come up with a list of all the players that have left or quit under this staff. Loser Alibegovic wanted out so bad but this lazy staff had the magic powers to rerecruit and get that stud to stay. Every big player they have chased they have struck out on. Let's not forget about Zack Brown or this shady recruit coming that was supposed to go to USC. My prediction he never plays a minute in a St John's uniform,. Can someone please tell me how long we are going to have to deal with Mullin for because St John's made such a huge mistake hiring him. Anyone know how Ryaheed Jordan's trial is going??

HOLY AGENDA FILLED POST BATMAN

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »

Lavin was like your College girlfriend. Had some good times, got laid but you always thought there was something better out there for you. Then some of her annoying habits finally got to be too much and you dump her. Then when things start going poorly with the next girl you start missing the previous girl.

Pete88

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
There is a 20% chance Ponds is back in a St John's uniform next year

Don't see it, I think there is a 32% chance he is back in a SJU uniform next year.

Foad

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

Mr kob. This is very generous assessment. Lavin made the tournament once in five years with his own players.  He won a single post season game. Every time something went wrong it was someone else's fault, any tiny little thing that went right he credited to his own genius and when things could have gone either way he self sabotaged so he'd have an excuse if he failed. And those were his good points. His bad points include being a poor strategist and a lazy recruiter, and babbling like a gibbering idiot about ketchup and superheroes and incremental magic carpet rides up non existent mountains. Moreover, he suffers from histrionic personality disorder and an unresolved oedipal complex. He needs professional help.

I'd also take issue with his alleged sending of players to the NBA. Two of the players he allegedly sent played for him for a year. Kennedy was Norm's kid and Harkless - who fell into his lap - played 2011-2012, during which year according to Lavin's wikipedia page - which sounds like he wrote it himself, that's how biased it is -  his record was 2-2 because he got sick. If he's going to slough the 17 losses off on Dunlap because he didn't coach I don't see e doesn't get credit for Harkless's success. Sampson was undrafted and worked his way into the league thereafter, not a lavin success story. Pointer stunk for three years  - if you want to credit Lavin for his senior year fine,  I don't, I think  the light bulb just went on. He got drafted but never played in the NBA. So if you think about it good old coach lavs got more kids sent to prison than he did to the league.

What's up with Yakwe? He's a shell of his freshman self.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
Step 1: Stop pretending we are a Football team and graduating 10+ people at a time.
Step 2: Balance our the roster where there is depth and talent. This will help to avoid transfers, having to up grade talent in the same positions, and giving large amounts of playing time to underclassmen.
Step3: ...Just try to get passed step one and step two which has not been done in a decade...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:54 AM »
LOL didn't you say in another thread that Simon is going to be a stud next year....

quote author=Marco Baldi link=topic=10682.msg286344#msg286344 date=1515725929]

[/quote]

TONYD3

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
LOL didn't you say in another thread that Simon is going to be a stud next year....

[/quote]
I think Simon is great. He plays defense, he rebounds, he can score a little. Whatever you want to call our offense does him no favors. He is not a shooter. He could be a very good player on a very good team today.
Clarke- I think he is ok- don’t think he is the lock down shooter others do (maybe I am wrong- but I think that percentage is going to start going down starting Saturday). Tough to get offensive rebounds 25 feet from the basket.
Both seem like good kids.

kob24

« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »
Lol I hear you wasju and foad. Me personally I thought he was ok. I have no idea what’s up with kassoum. He is really a defensive player. He should be grabbing more boards and playing better defense. But he actually is actually a great complimentary player to another big.

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

That opinion changed fast. Great 6th man flying in off the bench

« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
Lol I hear you wasju and foad. Me personally I thought he was ok. I have no idea what’s up with kassoum. He is really a defensive player. He should be grabbing more boards and playing better defense. But he actually is actually a great complimentary player to another big.

Justin hit you off with any of his portion of the Million he won? LOL