Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
Whether Danny Hurley was interested or not.  Whether the school would have paid he what he would have wanted or not. Danny Hurley was not a slam dunk. At the time I think as did a great number of you as well that hiring Chris Mullin was a gamble worth taking. So far it has gone well off the tracks. But I find it really hilarious that the same mooks whining about Marcus Lovett's "disloyalty" want Chris freaking Mullin fired after two and a half years. Talk to me after next year.... maybe . Still won't match number of years given to Norm Roberts.

pmg911

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

and this information comes from..?

I think it was pretty well known that Hurley made it known he had no interest

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

Hurley was 100% interested and that is directly from him (won't give you the source)  Would have run down I-95 for the job.  There were two candidates in 2015, Chris Mullin and Danny Hurley.  SJU did not put together a list because they knew it would not get past either one.  Chris was first when he said yes it was over. 

If you had a source then it is NOT directly from him. It is from your unnamed source. I was told he was not interested. I was told this after Mullin was named so it could just be revisionist history on Hurley's part. Or maybe your unnamed source is better than mine, but to say something definitive like that w/o giving the source is kind of weak. If you PM me I will show you mine if you show me yours though.

Guy I'm not getting into it but it is as direct as you can get without being direct....

I can verify what Fordham heard as well

I will ask his Dad when he see him in a couple of weeks - will let you know

wpc77

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »
Whether Danny Hurley was interested or not.  Whether the school would have paid he what he would have wanted or not. Danny Hurley was not a slam dunk. At the time I think as did a great number of you as well that hiring Chris Mullin was a gamble worth taking. So far it has gone well off the tracks. But I find it really hilarious that the same mooks whining about Marcus Lovett's "disloyalty" want Chris freaking Mullin fired after two and a half years. Talk to me after next year.... maybe . Still won't match number of years given to Norm Roberts.

We are 211-244, 46% winning percentage, in the last 15 years.  I am not calling for him to be fired, mostly because we've painted ourselves into a corner and cannot do that, but I am calling for the university to show a true commitment to the program and make difficult choices - like 1) telling coach that he's not going to have the power to unilaterally pick his own assistants after this season, that the AD and advisers of his choosing are going to approve of any choices and suggest changes themselves; 2) committing to pay those new assistants above market rates as needed to secure their services; 3) breaking ground on a new facility on the scale of the Thompson Center at Georgetown. Or else let's just toss in the towel, be an A10 team, and wax nostalgic about the glory days.

Pete88

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2018, 06:55:38 PM »

1) telling coach that he's not going to have the power to unilaterally pick his own assistants after this season, that the AD and advisers of his choosing are going to approve of any choices and suggest changes themselves;

That's ridiculous, either you trust him to do his job or you don't. 

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2018, 07:08:57 PM »

1) telling coach that he's not going to have the power to unilaterally pick his own assistants after this season, that the AD and advisers of his choosing are going to approve of any choices and suggest changes themselves;

It's done all the time in sports usually to someone too stubborn to see doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ain't gonna cut it and when you don't want to fire the guy. Based on his results why would you trust him left to his own device.

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »

We are 211-244, 46% winning percentage, in the last 15 years.  I am not calling for him to be fired, mostly because we've painted ourselves into a corner and cannot do that, but I am calling for the university to show a true commitment to the program and make difficult choices - like 1) telling coach that he's not going to have the power to unilaterally pick his own assistants after this season, that the AD and advisers of his choosing are going to approve of any choices and suggest changes themselves; 2) committing to pay those new assistants above market rates as needed to secure their services; 3) breaking ground on a new facility on the scale of the Thompson Center at Georgetown. Or else let's just toss in the towel, be an A10 team, and wax nostalgic about the glory days.
Agree with your first two points. As for your last suggestion never thought I would agree with that way of thinking but I am getting there. Maybe if they de-emphasized the program I could finally move on without it instead of hoping that they will ever get it right.

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

I think dealing with depression and your brother and best friend almost dying are a little different than what Marcus and family are doing. After being an assistant at Rutgers, Hurley said he would only return to the college game if he could run his own program. Your SHU assistant coach story is bad info. Rhode Island loves him and will do whatever they can to keep him.

I still don’t understand why Mullin took the job. I get ego and the honor of coming back and all that, but coaching can be miserable and he had a pretty sweet deal before all this.

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

I think dealing with depression and your brother and best friend almost dying are a little different than what Marcus and family are doing. After being an assistant at Rutgers, Hurley said he would only return to the college game if he could run his own program. Your SHU assistant coach story is bad info. Rhode Island loves him and will do whatever they can to keep him.

I still don’t understand why Mullin took the job. I get ego and the honor of coming back and all that, but coaching can be miserable and he had a pretty sweet deal before all this.

Before he got Rutgers gig. While coaching in HS

wpc77

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »

It's not ideal but it's what colleges go when they can't remove themselves of the head coach for differing reasons.  Paterno at Penn State in later years, Brian kelly at Notre Dame this past year, Bowden at Fsu in later years come to mind

wpc77

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »

Agree with your first two points. As for your last suggestion never thought I would agree with that way of thinking but I am getting there. Maybe if they de-emphasized the program I could finally move on without it instead of hoping that they will ever get it right.

It's rough.  The last admin raided the university and the program and left both in a degraded place.   It will take innovation, large scale fund raising and hard work from Goff and the university president

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 08:59:11 PM »
Worst coach in America right now. Not a single coach on the planet who got a big time job with absolutely zero experience. Louie had a ton to do with the hiring and must take part of the blame. Mullin gave all his friends Cush jobs to do nothing and the only one who works is Matt and he couldn't draw up a play for a kids game. Just an embarrassing program who continues to bring in one bum coach after another. Jarvis, Lavin, and now clueless Mullin have run this program into the ground. This was supposed to be our year. Look how many players have left the program under the great Chris Mullin. Trust me St John's will somehow down the road find a even worse coach than this guy. What other respectable team would hire a guy without a days worth of experience besides St John's. Both Hurley bros were right there for the taking

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
Norm is only coach in last 20 years where the program actually improved while he was in control and the program was in good shape when he left. I would take Norm Roberts back this minute and just let him do his thing

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
Patrick Ewing put in 10-15 years of coaching before Georgetown hired him. Louie told St John's to go hire Chris Mullin cause it was his favorite player and the clueless admin said okay. How many years and what should we pay his pals???

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »
Norm is only coach in last 20 years where the program actually improved while he was in control and the program was in good shape when he left. I would take Norm Roberts back this minute and just let him do his thing

Probably should get banned for a post this dumb.
Baldi posting under new name?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:12:34 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
This years recruiting class was a joke. 2 NBA stars on coaching staff where team plays at Madison Square Garden and you can't lure in one freaking recruit. Mullin was supposed to own the city with all his great connections and since they were able to con Ponds into coming they have gotten zero city kids. Bashir Ahmed is terrible. Can anyone please come up with a list of all the players that have left or quit under this staff. Loser Alibegovic wanted out so bad but this lazy staff had the magic powers to rerecruit and get that stud to stay. Every big player they have chased they have struck out on. Let's not forget about Zack Brown or this shady recruit coming that was supposed to go to USC. My prediction he never plays a minute in a St John's uniform,. Can someone please tell me how long we are going to have to deal with Mullin for because St John's made such a huge mistake hiring him. Anyone know how Ryaheed Jordan's trial is going??

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 09:16:06 PM »
We are SJU

Norm had to come in and clean up Jarvis' mess and he had the program going in one direction. There wasn't the mass exodus of players under him and he actually recruited some local kids which is always more fun and the way St John's always went about their business. He left Lavin a pretty badass team to take over so yes when he left the program it was in very good shape with very little drama. Kudos to Norm he didn't get nearly enough credit
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:17:26 PM by LIjohnnie »

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
This years recruiting class was a joke. 2 NBA stars on coaching staff where team plays at Madison Square Garden and you can't lure in one freaking recruit. Mullin was supposed to own the city with all his great connections and since they were able to con Ponds into coming they have gotten zero city kids. Bashir Ahmed is terrible. Can anyone please come up with a list of all the players that have left or quit under this staff. Loser Alibegovic wanted out so bad but this lazy staff had the magic powers to rerecruit and get that stud to stay. Every big player they have chased they have struck out on. Let's not forget about Zack Brown or this shady recruit coming that was supposed to go to USC. My prediction he never plays a minute in a St John's uniform,. Can someone please tell me how long we are going to have to deal with Mullin for because St John's made such a huge mistake hiring him. Anyone know how Ryaheed Jordan's trial is going??

Was thinking the same on the USC kid. Red flag

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
Interesting tweets by Tariq Owens' dad

https://twitter.com/eljefe132/status/951440641552257024

@eljefe132
 12h
12 hours ago

More
Maybe I’m a little bias because I talk to the staff. I see the effort the love they have. I know how they treat my son. Any parent got a kid playing this no PR this fact. STUBB staff good people. I’m one parent one perspective. I’m good with them

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:15 PM »
We are SJU

Norm had to come in and clean up Jarvis' mess and he had the program going in one direction. There wasn't the mass exodus of players under him and he actually recruited some local kids which is always more fun and the way St John's always went about their business. He left Lavin a pretty badass team to take over so yes when he left the program it was in very good shape with very little drama. Kudos to Norm he didn't get nearly enough credit

I was about to give you credit for being able to turn on your computer but this has to be Bluto using another sign on.

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
Oh I 110% think Mullin is a good person just a very very bad basketball coach. Don't doubt that they treat the kids good but that doesn't mean they are lazy and not good at what they do. Nice guys normally finish last.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:23:01 PM by LIjohnnie »