Favorite coach since Lou

• 7 replies
Favorite coach since Lou
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
We have done worst coach since Louie but who was the best?
I think it would have been Fran if he didn't self destruct.
But honestly really only two choices. Both polarizing candidates with a lot of flaws. Sort of like our last Presidential election. But you honestly can only choose one of the two.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:21:21 PM by we are sju »

Foad

Re: Favorite coach since Lou
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:55 PM »
We have done worst coach since Louie but who was the best? I think it would have been Fran if he didn't self destruct. But honestly really only two choices. Both polarizing candidates with a lot of flaws. Sort of like our last Presidential election. But you honestly can only choose one of the two.

Flawed question. Best and favorite are two different things and anyway best is open to interpretation. Fran wan't the best but without him there's no success by Jarvis. Jarvis had the best results but his results were vacated and his malfeasance led to Norm. Norm was awful but without Norm Lavin's career at SJ would have been viewed completely differently. And without Lavin's malfeasance Mullin wouldn't have started where he did and everything would be different. The means the real culprit is Joe Lapchick.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
We have done worst coach since Louie but who was the best? I think it would have been Fran if he didn't self destruct. But honestly really only two choices. Both polarizing candidates with a lot of flaws. Sort of like our last Presidential election. But you honestly can only choose one of the two.

Flawed question. Best and favorite are two different things and anyway best is open to interpretation. Fran wan't the best but without him there's no success by Jarvis. Jarvis had the best results but his results were vacated and his malfeasance led to Norm. Norm was awful but without Norm Lavin's career at SJ would have been viewed completely differently. And without Lavin's malfeasance Mullin wouldn't have started where he did and everything would be different. The means the real culprit is Joe Lapchick.

Yes just meant everyone's personal favorite. Though that would probably still be who each person thought was the best.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:27:41 PM »

Yes just meant everyone's personal favorite. Though that would probably still be who each person thought was the best.

My favorites in order are Lavin (because it's like asking Ahab who's his favorite white whale), Mullin, Fran, Norm and then everyone else. Who's the best is like asking which excrement was the most delicious.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:28:13 PM »
I'll always vote Fran, he brought us out of the dark ages.

His first team meeting with the returning ten returning players, seven showed up on time, an eighth showed up late with a McDonalds bag. St Johns never had weight training before Fran. He really tapped into that Riverside Church program. Fran brought in Artest, Barkley, Jessie, Gray, and Glover. I believe he also recruited Bootsy. Jarvis owed his NCAA success to Fran.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »
My favorite team including the Final Four team was the Elite 8 team. Jarvis was the coach, even if it was with Fran's players. SO my vote is Jarvis no matter how it all ended.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
If Jarvis won that elite 8 game, he may be best coach ever at SJU
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:03:40 PM by Marco Baldi »

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »
Jarvis followed by Fran and then Lavin.