Need players

• 126 replies
Need players
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
This falls on Mullin as much as any coaching complaint but lack of talent and depth is the number issue here. We all figured Ponds and Lovett would carry us and Simon / Clark would be nice complimentary pieces. Lovett thing happened. Ponds had to carry too much of the load and his unorthodox outside shot got exposed. No one else was able to step up.

Here is my take on the players:
Owens-Great shot blocker and I do not mind him shooting threes because honestly someone has to on this team. Gets pushed out on the blocks which is why he is not a great rebounder. If he would be able to gain some weight he might have had a shot at one day playing in the NBA. At this point he really needs to put on more weight than would be reasonably possible. He would rebound better and be able to gather and either get fouled or finish down low. Honestly this most likely will never happen for him. Still with better scorers he can be part of the solution. One thing at this level he needs to do is understand that he is so long he doesn't need to jump to bother every shot. Be smart and use his freakish arms by going straight up and will cut down on the fouls.

Clark-nice stroke when feet are set but after Lovett thing 2nd biggest reason we are where we are. Rebounding has been embarrassing. No other way to describe. Thought we were getting Lamont Middleton not Anthony Glover sized Ron Rowan. If we are to be good next year he should basically have a slightly bigger role than he had on Michigan ST. Solid 7th man type. I thought he would have had much bigger impact for us.

Ahmed-Plays hard if not smart. If I am being really honest despite flashes his game annoys me more than anyone. Sometimes that happens that a certain guy's game just gets on your nerves. His is that for me. He is probably not as bad as I make him out to be but honestly will be glad when he is gone.

Ponds-Has a nice touch, great handle and good passer. Plays taller than he is and his drives are our offense. Not sustainable for such a little guy to play that way over 30 some odd games. Going to wear down or get hurt. I actually think he could play the point at the next level. I don't mean start or even ever play, but I think he can make a team. Shooting form is a disaster. Needs to deconstruct it and start over. I could see him going the overseas route developing a passable shot and eventually making the pros.

Simon- Because of Lovett thing tries to do too much and forces things. Obviously can't shoot and it is so bad I am not sure he will ever even be able to be an adequate shooter. With all that being said, like Owens with better talent can be part of the solution. Really good all around game. Probably my favorite player on this team.

Yakwe-Played better yesterday. Even his athleticism has decreased it seems. Unless pulls a Cain or Pointer his senior year hopefully he is not really part of rotation next year if we are to be better.

Amar-Not his fault he was forced to play minutes on BE team. Blame Lavin and Mullin. Seems like good kid and teammate. We will always have the Cuse game. Hopefully he will be remembered for that. People on here will have to hate someone else next year.

Trimble-Other than hit one out of every four threes mostly stands around. Just a frosh. Hopefully comes in and gets in better shape or will hopefully get lost in PT shuffle. Fans on here are so starved for shooters that when anyone actually hits a three every once in awhile they think that guy is some kind of great shooter.

In short need better players or we will soon be on our 100th rebuild with a new staff since Louie retired.

Moose

Re: Need players
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »
We need basketball players.  Not athletes that they feel 'might' turn into basketball players
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »
We need basketball players.  Not athletes that they feel 'might' turn into basketball players

It is 2018. The fact that every basketball team in every league in the free world is built around shooting the three  and our coach is Chris Mullin yet our best / only decent shooter is a 6-7 240 pound guy is pretty ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:24:09 AM by we are sju »

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
I'd rather have some basketball players as well as some freaky athletes too. J'Raan Brooks is a basketball player. Does a lot of the little things well. Chris Mullin was a basketball player and one of the best ever. I agree that infusing SJU with some high bball IQ guys in addition to the high flyers would serve this program well.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
We need a high major D1 coach and high major D1 staff. A band aid is replacing a lazy staff member. The only answer is to replace them all. There is no excuse for 0-6. Everything that has stood in the way of St.John’s winning games is on the staff.

Enough is enough. I’m not interested in waiting to see if Chris Mullin is willing to accept that he’s not cut out for this. The braintrust that hired him is pathetic. They have no idea what they’re doing, but at St.John’s should we expect anything more? This is what this institution is. One big red shit storm.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:58:30 AM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
We need a high major D1 coach and high major D1 staff. A band aid is replacing a lazy staff member. The only answer is to replace them all. There is no excuse for 0-6. Everything that has stood in the way of St.John’s winning games is on the staff.

Enough is enough. I’m not interested in waiting to see if Chris Mullin is willing to accept that he’s not cut out for this. The braintrust that hired him is pathetic. They have no idea what they’re doing, but at St.John’s should we expect anything more? This is what this institution is. One big red shit storm.

W/o Lovett talent wise what 1-5? 2-4? 0-6 not that far off. Team has enough talent that if they play hard they won't get killed.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »

W/o Lovett talent wise what 1-5? 2-4? 0-6 not that far off. Team has enough talent that if they play hard they won't get killed.
Hey you finally hit on what should be St John's basketball mantra and the rallying cry of it's fans IF WE PLAY HARD WE WON'T GET KILLED! We are St. John's! Rah rah rah! Let's go Johnnies! WE WON'T GET KILLED!           we can't get killed       you can't kill us        nyah nyah nyah nyah!

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »

Hey you finally hit on what should be St John's basketball mantra and the rallying cry of it's fans IF WE PLAY HARD WE WON'T GET KILLED! We are St. John's! Rah rah rah! Let's go Johnnies! WE WON'T GET KILLED!           we can't get killed       you can't kill us        nyah nyah nyah nyah!

Yeah so Danny Hurley or some other great coach that is not coming here would have a team with no inside scoring. 5 legit BE players. 3 untalented bench guys and really no outside shooting and have us at 4-2? Ok. Whether he can coach or not we need players.  That is all I am saying. Then you can figure it out from there. But right now we do not have the depth or talent to be successful Ever thing else is nonsense at this point..

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
Why aren't kids like Isaiah Washington, Jose Alvarado, Khalid Moore, Bryce Willis, Ty Jerome etc. even sniffing St. John's?

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »

It is 2018. The fact that every basketball team in every league in the free world is built around shooting the three  and our coach is Chris Mullin yet our best / only decent shooter is a 6-7 240 pound guy is pretty ridiculous.

We have plenty of shooters. We don't have guys that can dribble to set them up. I don't understand why that's so difficult for you to see. Clark and Simon average a turnover every three dribbles inside the three-point line. It's a crazy team when you feel the second most confidence in a reckless kid like Ahmed handling in the lane. Clark, Simon, and Owens have no body control at all and their layups look like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a big rock. They have no chance of using a jump stop, slowing down, or changing direction.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »
Why aren't kids like Isaiah Washington, Jose Alvarado, Khalid Moore, Bryce Willis, Ty Jerome etc. even sniffing St. John's?

Think that's more because the recruiting staff (aka Matt) doesn't show kids of this level enough love, thinking they should go after and be attractive to talent one step up, and then hope they are still around and interested in us as a fallback...

So far, that plan has not fully worked. 

I'd like some consistency in roster with a some local talent wanting to play here mixed in.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:33:07 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »
The sit outs will be good bump next year. Probably needed an Ellison or Mussini this year in addition to Williams. I'm convinced Lovett is gone forever and heard through some agent friends he's declaring for draft. I'd also be concerned that Owens will be a 5th year graduate at season's end. Will have to fend off poachers.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »

We have plenty of shooters. We don't have guys that can dribble to set them up. I don't understand why that's so difficult for you to see. Clark and Simon average a turnover every three dribbles inside the three-point line. It's a crazy team when you feel the second most confidence in a reckless kid like Ahmed handling in the lane. Clark, Simon, and Owens have no body control at all and their layups look like they are trying to smash an animal's head with a big rock. They have no chance of using a jump stop, slowing down, or changing direction.

Marillac , having met you I can honestly say you are a good guy and in the past I generally  could see your point even if I didn't agree with it. So no disrespect meant when I say this year some of the stuff you are saying basketball wise is insane. Ponds thing has passed well into Carmine territory and your Simon hate is bizarre. He is clearly our 2nd best player. Flaws and all. Not even sure who could challenge that. A s far as shooting, UGH. Ponds is a very good player. Fun to watch and w/o him we might not score 25 points. He can't shoot. Statistically he is terrible and he also fails the eye test. Form is a disaster. Only guy whose outside shot I think can go in is a 6-7 guy who needs to be open with his feet completely set. I don't care if John Stockton and Magic Johnson's point guard love child came to play for us. No one is making this bunch good shooters.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:37 PM »
The sit outs will be good bump next year. Probably needed an Ellison or Mussini this year in addition to Williams. I'm convinced Lovett is gone forever and heard through some agent friends he's declaring for draft. I'd also be concerned that Owens will be a 5th year graduate at season's end. Will have to fend off poachers.

I like Owens, but he’s 22 and he still hasn’t added any muscle. He’d be a loss, but the guy we thought would be one of the best BE centers simply isn’t strong enough to stand his ground in the paint.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
love his game, and hope he stays but if there's a chance his minutes are going to go backward considerably with Keita and Brooks, you never know...I can see Tariq being a possible loss...

His dad always posts praise for the school, team and staff, even recently but in one post his  dad responded when asked if he's coming back next year...

Renard buys houses
‏@eljefe132
 Jan 11

More
Next year will be here before you know it and take care of it’s self. Haven’t even thought about next year to focus on this year. Like we do every end of the season. We will sit with the coaches discuss what’s best for #11
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:46:41 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
Joe Girard III - Basketball player and shooter we need.

goredmen

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »

I'm not all that excited about the two sit outs. I think both will be solid depth options for next year but not much more than that. There have been a couple high-scoring guards from smaller schools that have transferred to power conferences and haven't really been anything more than role players. Cane Broome from Cincinnati and Kory Holden at South Carolina come to mind. Keita is a big bruising guy we desperately need but he's another guy that's raw and can't throw the ball in the ocean from the pier. I fear that we will be expecting too much from them right away

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
Can they mend the bridge with Coach Arbs finally

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »

I like Owens, but he’s 22 and he still hasn’t added any muscle. He’d be a loss, but the guy we thought would be one of the best BE centers simply isn’t strong enough to stand his ground in the paint.

Dude is one of the best bigs in the conference. I'm not sure how you don't see that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »
Joe Girard III - Basketball player and shooter we need.

Very unlikely