Game #20 @Georgetown

• 283 replies
Re: Game #20 @Georgetown
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 10:08:11 AM »
I think I see why people think Patrick Ewing is going to be a great hire, if it weren't for his motivation Georgetown may have lost by 50 tonight. 

Patrick looks impressive. I love Patrick. Hate Georgetown

This is incredibly premature. He narrowly beat us and DePaul and had the easiest non-conference schedule in d-1. He has arguably more talent than us and definitely has more quality players. Imagine if Mullin started of with a monster like Govan and a handful of juniors and seniors?
I understand that you are pot committed. But these excuses are getting old.

The point of my post is no one has any clue at this point either way.  There were people who literally are judging Ewing based on a few minutes of viewing him in a huddle and on the sideline and saying he seems to be more prepared than Mullin.  Just nonsense.

I am a Mullin guy. If you are going to look / act detached during TO's and in the huddle and you are unsuccessful as he has been it just adds to the criticism. Based of his won / loss record it is a fair criticism as is most anything when you lose this much.

No idea how things work at with Ewing but by looking more engaged he probably will buy himself more time than Mullin has.

Whatever that is just nonsense.  Base it on his shoe color.  You don't attend practices, huddles, you have zero connection to Georgetown and they have done nothing this year yet you want to say these stupid things.  I don't care. 

You really are an annoying little guy. You argue both sides of every point.
There has been probably 1,000 posts about Mullin's sideline demeanor, dry board, sitting on tables, etc on these boards. Where both you and I are posting. None of what is said on these boards has any effect whatsoever on Chris Mullin in real life. People on these boards criticize Mullin for many things. Most unfortunately deserved at this point. If he had looked more involved it would have lessened the criticisms ON THESE BOARDS. That is a fact.
Now go ahead and tell me that no one could know anything until it actually happens.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:09:29 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »
Win or lose against Georgetown, and we are still going to be under 500 for the season in Mullin's 3rd year.  You finish under 500 in college basketball and you suck, no two ways about it. 

Oh I'm not suggesting somehow if they can win 5 or 6 that this would deemed to be a successful season, no way.  This season is a clear step back that needs to be met next season with 2 steps forward.

All I am saying is it would give us something to cheer for and some hope going into next season if they can start winning some of these starting Saturday.  The one string I am holding onto is they are not getting summarily blown out like they were a year ago in all of their losses, especially to the better teams.  They have shown some competitive fire. 

If you want to keep whining and calling for a coaching change even though you know it is not going to happen, that's fine. 

But at this point I am trying to find some silver linings.

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 10:13:24 AM »
I think I see why people think Patrick Ewing is going to be a great hire, if it weren't for his motivation Georgetown may have lost by 50 tonight. 

This is incredibly premature. He narrowly beat us and DePaul and had the easiest non-conference schedule in d-1. He has arguably more talent than us and definitely has more quality players. Imagine if Mullin started of with a monster like Govan and a handful of juniors and seniors?

The point of my post is no one has any clue at this point either way.  There were people who literally are judging Ewing based on a few minutes of viewing him in a huddle and on the sideline and saying he seems to be more prepared than Mullin.  Just nonsense.

I am a Mullin guy. If you are going to look / act detached during TO's and in the huddle and you are unsuccessful as he has been it just adds to the criticism. Based of his won / loss record it is a fair criticism as is most anything when you lose this much.

No idea how things work at with Ewing but by looking more engaged he probably will buy himself more time than Mullin has.

Whatever that is just nonsense.  Base it on his shoe color.  You don't attend practices, huddles, you have zero connection to Georgetown and they have done nothing this year yet you want to say these stupid things.  I don't care. 

There has been probably 1,000 posts about Mullin's sideline demeanor, dry board, sitting on tables, etc on these boards. Where both you and I are posting. None of what is said on these boards has any effect whatsoever on Chris Mullin in real life. People on these boards criticize Mullin for many things. Most unfortunately deserved at this point. If he had looked more involved it would have lessened the criticisms ON THESE BOARDS. That is a fact.
Now go ahead and tell me that no one could know anything until it actually happens.

You are like a bad penny.  The fact you feel the need to respond to every post is remarkable.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »

You are like a bad penny.  The fact you feel the need to respond to every post is remarkable.

You are basically Baldi in an angry off putting way. You really come on here to argue with everyone. You bash people complaining about Mullin and defending Mullin. You really take no sides or have any agenda except being a troll. You were tolerable back in the day but now you are just an angry little guy. Like an old guy yelling at kids playing in the park to be quiet. 

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
Win or lose against Georgetown, and we are still going to be under 500 for the season in Mullin's 3rd year.  You finish under 500 in college basketball and you suck, no two ways about it. 

Yes, you are right, it is not going to happen, which is most frustrating.  For me, at this point I could care less about wins and losses, I want to see improvement as a team in areas that we have stunk at for 3 years.  Rebounding we will get crushed on Saturday, but maybe, just maybe sju can play better perimeter defense and win a game they should.

Oh I'm not suggesting somehow if they can win 5 or 6 that this would deemed to be a successful season, no way.  This season is a clear step back that needs to be met next season with 2 steps forward.

All I am saying is it would give us something to cheer for and some hope going into next season if they can start winning some of these starting Saturday.  The one string I am holding onto is they are not getting summarily blown out like they were a year ago in all of their losses, especially to the better teams.  They have shown some competitive fire. 

If you want to keep whining and calling for a coaching change even though you know it is not going to happen, that's fine. 

But at this point I am trying to find some silver linings.

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »

Total BS! They why were we preseason picked 5-6 and G'Town 9-10 (even in the BE coaches poll)? You weren't saying this nonsense before the season. Does G'town have anyone as good as your boy Ponds?

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
Saint Bartholomew (the saint of lost causes for you heathens) appeared to me last nite in response to my desperate prayers and said (in a voice eerily like James Earle Jones)  "Lo, these many years the School of St. John has failed miserably in the pursuit of your strange game of basketball. Your prayers shall be answered.  I have decided to give them 5 more victories and then allow them to sweep through the pagan city of new York like the Romans through Gaul.  Im afraid I cant do a thing about the warriors from The Carolinas and Philadelphia.  Even the Lord could not help you with them.  Sleep well my son"
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:26:23 AM by cjfish »

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »
You may see a win.

Hopefully they win. 
They can't go 0-4 against G-Town and DePaul, can they?

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »

I think what people said/think is, he's not as illogical a hire as Mullin because he has previous coaching experience, something many of us like in our coaches.  And he started off better than Mullin by constructing a well rounded and experienced staff, given that he had never coached at the college level before, something you can not say about a staff that included Greg St. Jean.  How that hire pans out, and even the Mullin hire though there's a bigger body of evidence to work with, is still TBD.   

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »

I think what people said/think is, he's not as illogical a hire as Mullin because he has previous coaching experience, something many of us like in our coaches.  And he started off better than Mullin by constructing a well rounded and experienced staff, given that he had never coached at the college level before, something you can not say about a staff that included Greg St. Jean.  How that hire pans out, and even the Mullin hire though there's a bigger body of evidence to work with, is still TBD.   

Obviously the results suck, but Mullin was getting flak on these boards in first season when was supposed to be in Honeymoon phase. Don't you think if he would have acted more ''coachy" from the beginning it might have delayed some of the vitriol?

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »

Obviously the results suck, but Mullin was getting flak on these boards in first season when was supposed to be in Honeymoon phase. Don't you think if he would have acted more ''coachy" from the beginning it might have delayed some of the vitriol?
That and not losing to Aquinas by 33
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:13:10 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 02:18:48 PM »

Yes results have been bad, but I think he didn't help himself with the "optics". Or if George Blaney or at least some guy that looked like one of the old guys from the Muppets instead of ST Jean had been using the the dry board.

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »

If that is what the point is then it iscridiculous on a different number of ways.

Also being an NBA assistant as opposed to Mullin's long history in the NBA in various roles is marginally different.

And regardless,  they were basing it on what they have seen combined with his background.  Both incredibly dubious claims...

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »

Yes results have been bad, but I think he didn't help himself with the "optics". Or if George Blaney or at least some guy that looked like one of the old guys from the Muppets instead of ST Jean had been using the the dry board.
I was at that game. St. John’s shirt and hat on. Sitting in same row as his family. I was excited and happy to see Chris Mullin. I took pictures of him  and sent him to my friends. Bad optics is wearing an under armor sweatshirt under you suit jacket. Not taking charge and basically not doing anything with your team as they are getting smoked  by a division 2 team is not bad oPtics. Slice and Matt sat as statues. Mullin socialized. The boy tried to coach but he was overwhelmed.  Not a good 1st impression
Patrick seems to be trying his best. That is all a person can do. Was a huge Knick fan. I wish him well. Mullin in year 3 is better then day 1. Still don’t think he is capable or willing to put in the work to be a good coach. I have been done with this experiment for over 2 years. Our coach should have been more prepared and more self aware or he should have kept his mouth shut and we could have a real coach.
8-35. Lost the last 9 big east games.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »

I was at that game. St. John’s shirt and hat on. Sitting in same row as his family. I was excited and happy to see Chris Mullin. I took pictures of him  and sent him to my friends. Bad optics is wearing an under armor sweatshirt under you suit jacket. Not taking charge and basically not doing anything with your team as they are getting smoked  by a division 2 team is not bad oPtics. Slice and Matt sat as statues. Mullin socialized. The boy tried to coach but he was overwhelmed.  Not a good 1st impression
Patrick seems to be trying his best. That is all a person can do. Was a huge Knick fan. I wish him well. Mullin in year 3 is better then day 1. Still don’t think he is capable or willing to put in the work to be a good coach. I have been done with this experiment for over 2 years. Our coach should have been more prepared and more self aware or he should have kept his mouth shut and we could have a real coach.

Here is the one thing I will argue to the death. People who are hardworking throughout their whole life do not suddenly become lazy. Mullin was a self made basketball star. I doubt very much he took a job at the place that made him who he is and then decided to mail it in. He may not be able to coach and he certainly could have done things differently but I doubt any of this comes out of laziness.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »

It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, if you go 1-17, you're goin to hear it. Mullin has had 2 years to be awful at this. The fact that he's still awful at this is unacceptable.

Johnny23

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »

Here is the one thing I will argue to the death. People who are hardworking throughout their whole life do not suddenly become lazy. Mullin was a self made basketball star. I doubt very much he took a job at the place that made him who he is and then decided to mail it in. He may not be able to coach and he certainly could have done things differently but I doubt any of this comes out of laziness.

I don't doubt how hardworking Mullin was his whole life to become the player that he was. However coaching is a totally different animal than any job Mullin ever had as a player or front office guy. It's especially hard to become a head coach at 50+ when you have never coached a day in your life especially at a high level like a Power 5 conf. I think Mullin may be lazy in the sense that as a high level head coach you need to be on the road recruiting and that's a real year round grind. He may have not really taken seriously how much of a commitment that was and it's just too much for him. Maybe, maybe not but this next 12 months will tell us a lot more in regards to how serious he is about this job.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:56 PM »

If that is what the point is then it iscridiculous on a different number of ways.

Also being an NBA assistant as opposed to Mullin's long history in the NBA in various roles is marginally different.

And regardless,  they were basing it on what they have seen combined with his background.  Both incredibly dubious claims...

Note to self.  Don't hire Fordham96. He doesn't know the difference between experience and lack thereof, nor between the many varied roles that folks serve in a company.

But seriously, here's Mullin's post playing experience.  Note no role in coaching or player development, though he did have a role in scouting, ergo his ability to identify transcendent talent like that which STJ has put on the floor during his tenure (I kid because I love, besides we know Matt is doing all the "scouting" for recruits) :

Front office positions

After his playing days were over, Mullin was hired by the Warriors as a special assistant, dealing with daily business operations. On April 22, 2004, he was named Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations for the team.[10] On May 11, 2009, the team announced that Mullin's expiring contract would not be renewed.[11] He was replaced by Larry Riley as the Warriors' General Manager.

Mullin began working with the Sacramento Kings in May 2013 when Vivek Ranadivé became owner.[12] In September 2013, the Sacramento Kings hired him as an advisor.[13] As an advisor, Mullin's duties were not only to provide advice to Ranadive and D'Alessandro on player transactions, but to also supervise the organization's college and overseas scouting program.[14]

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Just a quick question, can we stop calling this Year 3 for Mullin? Year 1 is null and void. He had no talent to work with and had to fill almost an entire team in less than 5 months. That 1st year should not be considered. As of right now, he is 24-27 and 7-17 in Conference Play with a Big East Tournament win. It's been an unfortunate year but it hasn't been a bad year. We've had two bad losses but I see no reason why it can't be turned around. We haven't been noncompetitive in any game this season except for one half against Providence.

It's Year 2 and while our record looks worse, our performance has been better overall.

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 04:57:37 PM »
Just a quick question, can we stop calling this Year 3 for Mullin?

I vote no.