Suggestion - news feed, links

• 1 replies

desco80

Suggestion - news feed, links
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
Hey Dave,

You do a great job running the site.  I saw you mentioned recently that you regret not being able to put more time into it lately bc of other responsibilities.    This is fantastic, don't be so hard on yourself. 

I had a suggestion though.  Some friends who go to games with me, but don't really follow the team in the offseason or visit boards, asked me to send them a link to a good season preview article I knew of (Robbins piece following Media Day, ESPN's preview, etc).   

And I thought to mention to you that it would be a really nice feature for the site if there was a news feed of some sort, or an archive of media coverage.   No comments, and no copyright issues from copying and pasting, but just links to stories and their source.   Not sure if the best way to do it would be something automatic like an RSS feed, that mods could add links to as they come across them.   Or if it would be easier to have posters be able to add a link that they find.   

Right now, often times the links to articles get lost in the longer threads.   And creating a thread for every new article or even a thread for all the post game stories for a particular date, it leads to too many unnecessary topics.   That happens on RM a lot.   
But it would be nice if there was a feature where we could find links to recent media coverage.      Even if it were just a list by date that had something like this:

October 24, 2012 "Players excited as Lavin back as face of St. John's", Lenn Robins - NY POST 
October 24, 2012 "St. John's basketball gets Steve Lavin back, sophomore D'Angelo Harrison ready to lead young, talented crop", Roger Rubin - NY Daily News

I don't know.  Just an idea I thought was worth mentioning.   I don't have a computer background, but if you wanted someone to look into how to do it, I'd volunteer my time.   

Re: Suggestion - news feed, links
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
I think something potentially like this could be a good idea. We could just keep it all in one thread too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle