Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »
Dave hit the nail on the head. Plus a lot easier to take this approach for a stud in your backyard than one in a different part of the country.

goredmen

« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »
Dave hit the nail on the head. Plus a lot easier to take this approach for a stud in your backyard than one in a different part of the country.

Some people aren't smart enough to see the logic in your statement there

MCNPA

« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
If we land Yakwe and Ponds, we aren't losing the local talent.  We are succeeding in landing the right NYC talent.  Both top 60 kids who will serve us well and are local.  Staying on Alkins is fine.  I don't think you'll see this staff putting all eggs in one basket like prior staff.

« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »
If we land Yakwe and Ponds, we aren't losing the local talent.  We are succeeding in landing the right NYC talent.  Both top 60 kids who will serve us well and are local.  Staying on Alkins is fine.  I don't think you'll see this staff putting all eggs in one basket like prior staff.

That's basically how I view it, as well. 

Recruit your backyard and see what transpires.  Continue to mine the fertile ground throughout the nation and abroad, and get the best possible player or fit for what the staff is attempting to do.

We're gonna win some and lose some in our backyard.  Just get our share.  It's been that way for years other than Norm's time at St. John's.  But, there will be some kids from other parts of the nation and overseas who will see us as a viable option.

Yakwe is already on board, while Ahmed and Ponds are on deck.  Hopefully, Lightfoot doesn't commit anywhere prior to visiting St. John's.  I'd like to see him, at least, visit before popping for a school.  I'm sure a few other names probably will pop up throughout the new few months.  Alkins would be the icing on the cake, but not sweating it one way or the other.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:54:00 PM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »

Agree with everything you said plus ponds and Yakwe are 4 year guys. That is most important in my mind.

paultzman

« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »

That's basically how I view it, as well. 

Recruit your backyard and see what transpires.  Continue to mine the fertile ground throughout the nation and abroad, and get the best possible player or fit for what the staff is attempting to do.

We're gonna win some and lose some in our backyard.  Just get our share.  It's been that way for years other than Norm's time at St. John's.  But, there will be some kids from other parts of the nation and overseas who will see us as a viable option.

Yakwe is already on board, while Ahmed and Ponds are on deck.  Hopefully, Lightfoot doesn't commit anywhere prior to visiting St. John's.  I'd like to see him, at least, visit before popping for a school.  I'm sure a few other names probably will pop up throughout the new few months.  Alkins would be the icing on the cake, but not sweating it one way or the other.
Spot on Dink!

« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »
Up to #42 in ESPN revised top 100.  Yakwe was set for a huge bump but now is not in the 2016 because he reclassified obviously.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2015, 10:20:37 PM »
Jefferson basketball ‏@Jeffbballbklyn  · 9m9 minutes ago   Manhattan, NY   
Slick Ponds 31pts out duals Mustafa Heron 23pts in Tri-State Classic Final to take Chip back 2 BK🍊🌊🏀🏦💪🙏😎

« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
Jefferson basketball ‏@Jeffbballbklyn  · 9m9 minutes ago   Manhattan, NY   
Slick Ponds 31pts out duals Mustafa Heron 23pts in Tri-State Classic Final to take Chip back 2 BK🍊🌊🏀🏦💪🙏😎

Well Well Well
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Shamorie Ponds begins #sjubb official visit tomorrow.

pmg911

« Reply #250 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:33 AM »
Who is St. John's biggest competition for his services at this point..?

paultzman

« Reply #251 on: August 27, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »

No one.

pmg911

« Reply #252 on: August 27, 2015, 10:55:42 AM »

No one.

Is that good or bad thing..?

paultzman

« Reply #253 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »

No one.

Is that good or bad thing..?
Sounds like you could answer your own questions. :)

MCNPA

« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2015, 11:43:51 PM »
I'm hoping we lock him up this weekend.  Sounds like there's a good chance we do.

paultzman

« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
@ShamorieP: Official Visit to St. John's Today🏀. #SJUBB🔴⚫️⚪️

paultzman

« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: As @AdamZagoria reported last night, Shamorie Ponds #sjubb visit going very, very well. His coach: "He's got a smile from ear to ear."

cjfish

« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
ponds in 2016 would make an excellent deep backcourt, hope it happens

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
Greg Thompson ‏@gregthompson27 35 minutes ago
Shamorie Ponds on his #SJUBB visit "Meeting w/ a HOFer, touring the Garden a good experience...the fans been going crazy" #BKSports