Fraschilla sets bar low for Mullin "Rebuilding year"

• 17 replies

paultzman

Fraschilla sets bar low for Mullin "Rebuilding year"
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »
@franfraschilla: Expect a major rebuilding year for Saint John's in Mully's 1st season but Italian PG Frederico Mussini had a little Kevin Pangos in him.

Re: Fraschilla sets bar low for Mullin "Rebuilding year"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »
@franfraschilla: Expect a major rebuilding year for Saint John's in Mully's 1st season but Italian PG Frederico Mussini had a little Kevin Pangos in him.
Not that there is anything wrong with that!  :)

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:54:01 PM »
Cream puff schedule. Mussini will be fine,. Should Lovett not be eligible, give Mussini the rock

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:18:36 PM »
Cream puff means no Iona lol

NYCoffey

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
Fran always promoting himself

https://mobile.twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/637307832543641600
Not sure he is self promoting there as Felipe was NO. 1 ranked recruit in country and Fran didn't even recruit him, and Ron had one of most successful NBA careers of any SJU player in history.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
If you read all of Fran's comments he was very complimentary of the new staff and ponds. Saying that ponds isn't Felipe or ron artest is not being negative

Poison

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »
I agree. Fran has been complimentary of St.John's since Mullin took over. I also think that because Chris Mullin is Chris a Mullin, some of the local POS basketball folks are choosing their words carefully.

Ponds may not be Felipe Lopez. And that's fine with me. One all-world bust is enough for me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:22:16 PM by Poison »

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »
Mahoney recruited Felipe and Zendon, both NBA guys.  He also recruited both Postell (NBA) and Ty Grant (leading rebounder and second leading scorer on the Jarvis elite eight team).  Fran won his 18 games with mostly Mahoney's players.  Big Deal!!

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
Mahoney recruited Felipe and Zendon, both NBA guys.  He also recruited both Postell (NBA) and Ty Grant (leading rebounder and second leading scorer on the Jarvis elite eight team).  Fran won his 18 games with mostly Mahoney's players.  Big Deal!!
U have made this point a few times already

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
I've made the point about Jarvis making the E 8 with Mahoney's players, but not Fran winning 18 with Felipe and Zendon.  And people were saying that Fran recruited better, mentioning Felipe.  Well Mahoney recruited Felipe.  And looking back at Fran's quote I don't even think it was a backhanded compliment for that very reason.  If anyone thinks it was, please explain.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 06:10:59 PM »
I've made the point about Jarvis making the E 8 with Mahoney's players, but not Fran winning 18 with Felipe and Zendon.  And people were saying that Fran recruited better, mentioning Felipe.  Well Mahoney recruited Felipe.  And looking back at Fran's quote I don't even think it was a backhanded compliment for that very reason.  If anyone thinks it was, please explain.

Mahoney was a terrible coach, and he was actually an even worse recruiter. Yes, he landed Felipe and Zendon, but who else did he recruit for them to play with? There no BE level point on the roster. There wasn't even a D1 level point guard. Not even close.

Maybe if he put the bottle down for little while he would have sobered up enough to see the mess he made.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:12:56 PM by Poison »

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »

Mahoney was a terrible coach, and he was actually an even worse recruiter. Yes, he landed Felipe and Zendon, but who else did he recruit for them to play with? There no BE level point on the roster. There wasn't even a D1 level point guard. Not even close.

Maybe if he put the bottle down for little while he would have sobered up enough to see the mess he made.

Tarik turner was pretty highly regarded coming out of high school wasn't he? He never turned into much on the court but they thought they had their PG the day Felipe and zendon and Tarik started.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »
Tarik was a top 40 PG. Top 40!  He just didn't  pan out, so don't say Mahoney couldn't recruit.  He sure couldn't coach as a head coach, but don't say he couldn't recruit.  And in response to "he didn't recruit anyone to play with them". He recruited Tarik Turner and, I know I've posted it before, NBA player Postell and the leading rebounder and second leading scorer on Jarvis' elite eight team Tyrone Grant.

But I still don't understand how Fran's Felipe comment could be a backhanded compliment if it was Mahoney who recruited Felipe.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 11:07:17 PM »
Tarik was a top 40 PG. Top 40!  He just didn't  pan out, so don't say Mahoney couldn't recruit.  He sure couldn't coach as a head coach, but don't say he couldn't recruit.  And in response to "he didn't recruit anyone to play with them". He recruited Tarik Turner and, I know I've posted it before, NBA player Postell and the leading rebounder and second leading scorer on Jarvis' elite eight team Tyrone Grant.

But I still don't understand how Fran's Felipe comment could be a backhanded compliment if it was Mahoney who recruited Felipe.

Tarik Turner wasn't as good as Bootsy Thornton, but he rated significantly higher before he arrived here. Do you think that Mahoney deserves credit for that as a recruiter? Does he get credit for Tarik because others thought he was a high major point guard?

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:21 PM »

He recruited Postell and Grant and Zendon. OK.  But it was clearly not a backhanded compliment since Mahoney was also the one who recruited the National High School player of the year, Felipe Lopez. He was the one being used as the subject of the so-called "back handed compliment".

Tarik Turner wasn't as good as Bootsy Thornton, but he rated significantly higher before he arrived here. Do you think that Mahoney deserves credit for that as a recruiter? Does he get credit for Tarik because others thought he was a high major point guard?