Do you want to see small ball?

• 84 replies
Do you want to see small ball?
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:02:47 PM »
Looking at current St. John's roster really reminds of Villanova's team of guards.

Do you think a 3/4 guard lineup can work? Do you want to see St. John's run it? Do you think Mullin will play small & fast?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: Do you want to see small ball?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
They have 2 big men in Yankuba and Amir, so we'll be seeing small ball, unless they are much better than we've anticipated.
Hard to say what our line up will be, or could be, without any knowledge of how they look playing together.

Feels like we've been playing small ball for 18 years. It worked for Nova because they had NBA guards.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
I prefer a more traditional lineup.  Two guards, two forwards and a center.  Three guards is ok we have some length in the backcourt.  And, although the traditional post up center is rare these days, at least a face up 5 with some length.  I really like our current roster make up.  It just remains to be seen how cohesive they can be---especially in their first year playing together.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
I don't think we will see a 2-4 guard like up because we have a few wings.  We aren't going to play real big, but we do have two centers with Sima and Alibegovic.  We also have a big forward in Willaims.  Add a few wings like Durand and mvouika and even Ellison who is built more like a SF than a wing, and we aren't going all that small.  I think it's a relatively traditional lineup.  Maybe lacking one big guy or so.m. We are actually bigger overall than we have been for a while.  Mussini and Lovett are probably the only guys under 6'4".
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:02:21 PM by MCNPA »

ras

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
I think we could play the 3 guards together next year, providing they are complimented w some size. Next year we will have Sima , Williams, Amar, and Yawke, which provide good size Also Ellison can get some time at the 3 plus we will get additional recruits. This year we only have 2 small guards. Durand has size.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
Do I wantto see small ball? No, seen enough of that this millennium.

I'd really like to see a front line like Michigan State, a wall of height and muscle, and hopefully we'll see that someday. If you can give me...

Frosh PG, either one.
Mouvlka/Ellison
Johnson
Williams
Sima

That would be nice, with Amar, Yakwe and a couple of guys getting 10+ minutes, that would be a luxury. Could also see Amar starting w Sima coming off the bench.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »
I think if Yawke is eligible he'll be getting alot more than 10 minutes.

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:12:49 PM »
I think Mullin wants to play fast much like his most successful years in the NBA. However I don't think that necessarily means he wants to go small. This team seems to have a lot of wings, small forward types on it, even moreso than Nova. The Nova comparison is fair because that's how Wright has built them into the premiere BE program over the last 5 years. However when it comes to NCAA tourney time they get exposed by more physical frontcourts. Also Amar better have gotten much tougher over the last 12 months if the Johnnies are expecting to get low post minutes from him. He was much more of a perimeter big last year. He seems to have added more muscle from the pics I saw yet his foot speed was a big liability as was his lack of rebounding.

Yakwe, Sima and Willaims will be the big guys that this team counts on this year, assuming Yakwe is eligible too. Amar will be gravy if he's gotten more physical.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »
They have 2 big men in Yankuba and Amir, so we'll be seeing small ball, unless they are much better than we've anticipated.
Hard to say what our line up will be, or could be, without any knowledge of how they look playing together.

Feels like we've been playing small ball for 18 years. It worked for Nova because they had NBA guards.

You don't consider Christian Jones or Darien Williams a part of the front court?

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
I don't think we will see a 2-4 guard like up because we have a few wings.  We aren't going to play real big, but we do have two centers with Sima and Alibegovic.  We also have a big forward in Willaims.  Add a few wings like Durand and mvouika and even Ellison who is built more like a SF than a wing, and we aren't going all that small.  I think it's a relatively traditional lineup.  Maybe lacking one big guy or so.m. We are actually bigger overall than we have been for a while.  Mussini and Lovett are probably the only guys under 6'4".

Would you play Johnson at the 4?

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »
Do I wantto see small ball? No, seen enough of that this millennium.

I'd really like to see a front line like Michigan State, a wall of height and muscle, and hopefully we'll see that someday. If you can give me...

Frosh PG, either one.
Mouvlka/Ellison
Johnson
Williams
Sima

That would be nice, with Amar, Yakwe and a couple of guys getting 10+ minutes, that would be a luxury. Could also see Amar starting w Sima coming off the bench.

Where have you seen too much of it?

I think there is a big difference in playing styles in Big East vs Big 10.

Wods317

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
I think this year and next year we will have some very good guards and be a little thin up front so I think the natural inclination is too play small but I think it depends a lot on matchups. If you go against a big team you may need to add some more height and weight to the lineup so you aren't over matched. Playing a lineup like Mussini, Lovett, Johnson, Williams and Sima would be a nice mix of size and speed. Then come with Ellison, Amar, Mvouika and possibly Yakwe off the bench you a have a very athletic team that is on the small side yes but still has athletes a couple effective big men. We will probably play small by necessity this year with a starting lineup similar to a lineup I just laid out with only one "big man'.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
If Amar plays a lot he will  most likely be in foul trouble. Never saw Sima play, on here I have read that he is a project but also and NBA player. Williams from my understanding is a tall shooter but not a post player. I dont ever want to see Christian Jones play again. I think Felix gets some minutes at foward. I think we plays small because our best 5 are small. I think we see plenty of Mussoni and Lovett together and Johnson plays 30 minutes plus.

wpc77

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
Depends on the matchups.  I do think we will see, at the end of close games, Lovett/mussini/johnson/williams/Sima. 

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »

Would you play Johnson at the 4?

I was thinking Darien Williams at the 4.  Amar can play there too, maybe even Yakwe if eligible but I doubt it.  Still think Williams is a shoe-in with Durand at the 3 and sima at the 5.  We will definitely have times when we play with two guards and two wings on the floor though.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
Can Wiilliams play the 4? Is he strong or tough?

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »
If you have two 6'6 wings, and a 6'8 forward than I dont think your playing all that small. My opinion is to play your best players, of course sometimes you have to match up with size.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »
If you have two 6'6 wings, and a 6'8 forward than I dont think your playing all that small. My opinion is to play your best players, of course sometimes you have to match up with size.

How about a Lovett, Mussini, Mvouika, Johnson, Williams lineup?

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »

Yes, we'll see it and I would like it. Thinking Ellison in there somewhere too.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:54 PM »

I like the line up of LoVett, Mussini, Johnson Williams and Sima. But could see that lineup in the beginning of the year for exp. Also depends on the level of improvement of Amar and Jones. If Sima or Williams get in foul trouble or need a breather and Amar and Jones don't show much improvement , I can see that lineup. I also see Ellison getting descent minutes.Although improbable, If Yakwe is eligible, that will really help w depth for the bigs. Even if he gets eligible for 2nd semester, I can see us surprising people.