Kenpom player rankings

• 10 replies

LoganK

Kenpom player rankings
« on: February 26, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
My apologies to the board for what's about to ensue, and what we will have to listen to from Carmine, but as of today, these are the KenPom ORtgs of our players in BE play only:

Phil: 112.5
Branch: 112.4
D'lo: 111.5
Dom: 111.1
Sheed: 98.9
O: 96.1

Keep in mind, this is strictly offensive.  For the most part, basketball is measured in possessions, and what good or bad comes of each possession.  ORtg essentially measures whether a possession ended by you is positive or negative, and to what degree.  Don't ask me how it's calculated specifically, because it's extremely complicated according to Kenpom, but is accurate.
But yea, according to Kenpom, Phil and Jamal are our best offensive players.  If you account for usage, you could argue D'lo and Dom are better.  In case you were wondering, Balamou rates terribly and is by far our worst offensive player.

TONYD3

Re: Kenpom player rankings
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »
Their are so many variables in college basketball. Branch is most likely guarded by the worst defensive guard, and Harrison is guarded by the best.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
Their are so many variables in college basketball. Branch is most likely guarded by the worst defensive guard, and Harrison is guarded by the best.

I feel pretty secure when the ball is in Branch's hands. What concerns me is when he makes needle-threading passes to teammates, and they're not ready for them. Wonder if these ratings also take into consideration the amount of possessions; D'lo and Dom will have many more instances that Branch and Phil, so makes their 111 numbers much more impressive than the 112s. And O: there's always the D League, if youre lucky

LoganK

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »
Wonder if these ratings also take into consideration the amount of possessions; D'lo and Dom will have many more instances that Branch and Phil, so makes their 111 numbers much more impressive than the 112s.
Exactly.  Kenpom is based off of per possession results.  The reason I said "if you account for usage" (kenpom shows D'lo and Dom have higher usage rates) is for exactly what you said.  With Branch and Phil's lower usage rates, the higher ORtg can be partially attributed to fewer possessions so a smaller sample size.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:14:15 AM »
I think Branch is a very calming presence for SJU's offense. When team goes into a slump he comes in and bails them out.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:36 AM »
I think Branch is a very calming presence for SJU's offense. When team goes into a slump he comes in and bails them out.

It seems that way of late.  He's made some key baskets lately, as well.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:42:40 AM »
My apologies to the board for what's about to ensue, and what we will have to listen to from Carmine, but as of today, these are the KenPom ORtgs of our players in BE play only:

Keep in mind, this is strictly offensive.  For the most part, basketball is measured in possessions, and what good or bad comes of each possession.  ORtg essentially measures whether a possession ended by you is positive or negative, and to what degree.  Don't ask me how it's calculated specifically, because it's extremely complicated according to Kenpom, but is accurate.
But yea, according to Kenpom, Phil and Jamal are our best offensive players.  If you account for usage, you could argue D'lo and Dom are better.  In case you were wondering, Balamou rates terribly and is by far our worst offensive player.

Stats are certainly trendy these days, but this is a great example of why some of them are mostly pointless. Last couple of years we saw stats that made Phil Greene look like the most under control point guard in the country when in fact he simply didn't make plays for other people, so when you don't do that, there's less risk to make a mistake. Stats tell the truth, but they lie at the same time.

LoganK

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »

Stats are certainly trendy these days, but this is a great example of why some of them are mostly pointless. Last couple of years we saw stats that made Phil Greene look like the most under control point guard in the country when in fact he simply didn't make plays for other people, so when you don't do that, there's less risk to make a mistake. Stats tell the truth, but they lie at the same time.
Mostly pointless is a gross overstatement.  Stats may not tell the whole story, but they can certainly paint most of the picture.  While the ORtg is a complicated stat to understand, the rest of the numbers on Kenpom are not.  Phil is 8th in the conference in effective field goal percentage (55%), number one in fouls committed/40 minutes (.9), and third in turnover rate (10.6).  Which means, he is not ending our possessions.  When ends a position, the ratio of positive/negative results is better than for anyone else on the team, strangely.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:53:55 AM by LoganK »

LoganK

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:54:32 AM »

Mostly pointless is a gross overstatement.  Stats may not tell the whole story, but they can certainly paint most of the picture.  While the ORtg is a complicated stat to understand, the rest of the numbers on Kenpom are not.  Phil is 8th in the conference in effective field goal percentage (55%), number one in fouls committed/40 minutes (.9), and third in turnover rate (10.6).  Which means, he is not ending our possessions.  When he has the ball, we score more often than when anyone else on the team does. 

So the only player on our team who hasn't been in foul trouble once this season is #1 in fouls committed in the BE? You need a better way to back up this Ken Pom garbage? Come on.

Wouldn't everyone, especially the coaches, better off if they just ignored Ken Pom?
.9 fouls/40 minutes Poison...not committing fouls is a good thing.  I backed everything up with stats, scientifically.  Not with theory, and hyperbole.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:55:11 AM by LoganK »

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 07:55:56 AM »

Mostly pointless is a gross overstatement.  Stats may not tell the whole story, but they can certainly paint most of the picture.  While the ORtg is a complicated stat to understand, the rest of the numbers on Kenpom are not.  Phil is 8th in the conference in effective field goal percentage (55%), number one in fouls committed/40 minutes (.9), and third in turnover rate (10.6).  Which means, he is not ending our possessions.  When he has the ball, we score more often than when anyone else on the team does. 

So the only player on our team who hasn't been in foul trouble once this season is #1 in fouls committed in the BE? You need a better way to back up this Ken Pom garbage? Come on.

Wouldn't everyone, especially the coaches, better off if they just ignored Ken Pom?
.9 fouls/40 minutes Poison...not committing fouls is a good thing.  I backed everything up with stats, scientifically.  Not with theory, and hyperbole.

A just had my coffee and figured that out. Thanks!

LoganK

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »

A just had my coffee and figured that out. Thanks!
Lol, completely understandable!  I'm still brewing mine, so I'm still not fully awake and a little edgy as well.