Game 20: DePaul at CA

• 74 replies

Foad

Re: Game 20: DePaul at CA
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

redslope

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
Marcus was not up to par tonight--whenever he was out of Game he was on the stationary bike.  Offense passed much better/quicker when he was out.  Rico had his best game in a while.  Great to see Felipe honored.  He Joined the team for the post game circle at center and the team was enthusiastic to have him.

Spoke with Felipe after the game and he is a joy to be with. 

PS--have you folks picked up on Marcus and his sneakers?  Something different in College Ball.  I'll give the answer tomorrow if no one has picked it up.

He changes them at halftime.

Sort of--it seems he gives away a pair to a kid at half time and the pair he wore in the second half, he gave away at end of the game

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
Odd occurrence with 4 and change left to play in the second half.

Garrett is dribbling the ball and elbows the defender Ponds in the head. The ref with the curved leg calls the foul and they go to the monitor to check for a flagrant foul due to the head contact.

After reviewing the play,  It's announced that it's now a foul on Ponds.  Booing ensues and all 3 refs come together I assume to discuss that you can only go to the monitor to determine flagrant or common foul and that you can't just reverse the original call and give one to the opposing team.  After their meeting,  Depaul gets to inbound the ball and I assume again that no foul is being assessed to either team and that they are ruling inadvertent whistle and Depaul is getting the ball at the point of interruption. 

Less than a minute later, Garrett is fouled not in the act of shooting yet is sent to the line to shoot a one and one even though it's only the 6th foul of the half on the Johnnies.

You see new stuff every day in this wacky game.

On redmen, I called for the suspension of all three refs, for that craziness.

It wasn't like they missed a call.  These were rules violations, plain and simple.

Well one of the refs was Ed Corbett.  As good as it gets in officiating.  The guy with the curved leg is very good and I've seen him work a lot of games very well.  I don't know the other guy.

It just highlights how very difficult it is to officiate basketball.  Even top crews are capable of mistakes and/or misjudgements.

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
Marcus was not up to par tonight--whenever he was out of Game he was on the stationary bike.  Offense passed much better/quicker when he was out.  Rico had his best game in a while.  Great to see Felipe honored.  He Joined the team for the post game circle at center and the team was enthusiastic to have him.

PS--have you folks picked up on Marcus and his sneakers?  Something different in College Ball.  I'll give the answer tomorrow if no one has picked it up.

Sort of--it seems he gives away a pair to a kid at half time and the pair he wore in the second half, he gave away at end of the game

Seems he was switching sneakers even during HS

http://ballislife.com/marcus-lovett-jr-scores-30-in-pink-foamsswitches-shoes-at-half-time-and-scores-48-in-bred-11s/

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »

Garrett is dribbling the ball and elbows the defender Ponds in the head. The ref with the curved leg calls the foul and they go to the monitor to check for a flagrant foul due to the head contact.

After reviewing the play,  It's announced that it's now a foul on Ponds.  Booing ensues and all 3 refs come together I assume to discuss that you can only go to the monitor to determine flagrant or common foul and that you can't just reverse the original call and give one to the opposing team.  After their meeting,  Depaul gets to inbound the ball and I assume again that no foul is being assessed to either team and that they are ruling inadvertent whistle and Depaul is getting the ball at the point of interruption. 

Less than a minute later, Garrett is fouled not in the act of shooting yet is sent to the line to shoot a one and one even though it's only the 6th foul of the half on the Johnnies.

It wasn't like they missed a call.  These were rules violations, plain and simple.

Well one of the refs was Ed Corbett.  As good as it gets in officiating.  The guy with the curved leg is very good and I've seen him work a lot of games very well.  I don't know the other guy.

It just highlights how very difficult it is to officiate basketball.  Even top crews are capable of mistakes and/or misjudgements.

Other than the review of video to change the call and the subsequent free throws on what should have been the 6th team foul, I thought the refs did a great job.  I can't recall anything else that they got wrong.  I guess they could have call Billy Garrett Jr. for that wayward elbow but they have probably decided that it is an involuntary action since he does it so often.

ras

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

Other than the review of video to change the call and the subsequent free throws on what should have been the 6th team foul, I thought the refs did a great job.  I can't recall anything else that they got wrong.  I guess they could have call Billy Garrett Jr. for that wayward elbow but they have probably decided that it is an involuntary action since he does it so often.
I didn't know you could check the video to review a foul call unless one was checking for a flagrant.

desco80

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »

http://ballislife.com/marcus-lovett-jr-scores-30-in-pink-foamsswitches-shoes-at-half-time-and-scores-48-in-bred-11s/

This is not the pros.  He shouldn't be giving away sneakers after every half. 
I'm all for fan engagement, but that strikes me as a bridge too far.   He's acting like Lebron.

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »

I'm all for fan engagement, but that strikes me as a bridge too far.   He's acting like Lebron.

His parents must be loaded

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:56 PM »

I didn't know you could check the video to review a foul call unless one was checking for a flagrant.

That's my understanding as well.  That was a terrible mistake on their part. 

desco80

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »

That's the thing, he's giving away school property right?
It's not really his to give away.

Also... I know we have a deal with under Armour but I can't imagine each guy gets like 30 pairs of sneakers for the season.  That would be absurd.

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »

Also... I know we have a deal with under Armour but I can't imagine each guy gets like 30 pairs of sneakers for the season.  That would be absurd.

Dave might know the answer to this question

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2017, 10:26:11 PM »

That's my understanding as well.  That was a terrible mistake on their part. 
Was at the game and thought what happened was a Garrett elbow to face of Ponds and thought that was the call. When refs went to monitor I figured they were checking to see if it was flagrant. Could not understand how they could change the call to a foul on Ponds. Saw it on tape when I got home and what I think happened was they did check to see if it was flagrant and what they saw was what I saw-Ponds did a great job of acting, he was never hit by the elbow. Guess they called ponds for a slight hand check or hold. Announcers were no help.

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »

Dave might know the answer to this question

2-3 pair + walk around shoe. Personally I wish they got more.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2017, 01:59:55 AM »

lol          His sneakers right? Then he can do it.

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »

lol          His sneakers right? Then he can do it.

Yeah.  Why are you irked?