Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ - OHIO ST.

• 331 replies
Re: Luther Muhammed-6-4 PG Hudson Catholic, NJ
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
Been hearing Ohio State for the past month.  Really loves Holtsman.

« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »
Can't fault him for that.  Holty did a terrific job at Butler, although he certainly isn't producing a pipeline of pros.

goredmen

« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
This big '18 class is really rounding into shape. Just shows that we are also wasting our time hoping we have a shot at landing one of those top 50 '19 guys we're after

« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
I usually try not to overreact to missing out on one kid but this one would be a big blow. As I have said before we need to win in the worst way this year to get momentum back on our side. Once the staff has been in place for a few years that new car smell wears off and the kid and his parents and coaches are looking for results. Winning will cure a lot of our ills.

Frankly, I don't believe this situation has anything to do with "winning."  We haven't 'won' anything yet, but have been able to attract sufficient talent.  Although, Muhammad has yet to commit to anyone, I sense this has more do with with 'other' things. 

I think it means Mohammed ( which was a strong SJU lean at one point) has shifted away from us ( presumably to Ohio state)

No offense, but his name is spelled Muhammad.

« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
This big '18 class is really rounding into shape. Just shows that we are also wasting our time hoping we have a shot at landing one of those top 50 '19 guys we're after

I don't have a problem going after top 50 kids, as we have always been able to land recruits of that ilk.

IMO, I think we also need to cast a larger net for the '18 and '19 classes, respectively.

Wods317

« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »
I usually try not to overreact to missing out on one kid but this one would be a big blow. As I have said before we need to win in the worst way this year to get momentum back on our side. Once the staff has been in place for a few years that new car smell wears off and the kid and his parents and coaches are looking for results. Winning will cure a lot of our ills.

Frankly, I don't believe this situation has anything to do with "winning."  We haven't 'won' anything yet, but have been able to attract sufficient talent.  Although, Muhammad has yet to commit to anyone, I sense this has more do with with 'other' things. 

I think it means Mohammed ( which was a strong SJU lean at one point) has shifted away from us ( presumably to Ohio state)

Coaches always get honeymoon when they get hired and they usually can land some recruits. That time is over for us and now they want to see results. I'm not specifically talking just about Luther. I thinking the lack of success so far is definitely hurting recruiting. I would be hard pressed to see how you anyone could think otherwise.

« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

Coaches always get honeymoon when they get hired and they usually can land some recruits. That time is over for us and now they want to see results. I'm not specifically talking just about Luther. I thinking the lack of success so far is definitely hurting recruiting. I would be hard pressed to see how you anyone could think otherwise.

Agree....  Coaches always get a honeymoon period.  I also believe the honeymoon period is up with this staff and results are vital, as this is a bottom line business.  The 'bottom line' being winning, of course.  But, I sense there could also be more factors in play, specifically with this particular recruitment, other than lack of success.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:28:55 PM by mjdinkins »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

Agree....  Coaches always get a honeymoon period.  I also believe the honeymoon period is up with this staff and results are vital, as this is a bottom line business.  The 'bottom line' being winning, of course.  But, I sense there could also be more factors in play, specifically with this particular recruitment, other than lack of success.

I honestly think if we have a disappointing year where we don't at least contend for a NCAA spot, and we don't land Luther or any big recruit then this staff has gotta go. I honestly don't see any point of having them stay. They can't recruit, and if they don't win this year they will have proven that they can't coach/develop players.

At least with Lavin we knew he could recruit, but was a terrible coach. Mullin can't recruit and is a terrible coach. If we can't bring top players here we at least have to have someone who can coach up those 3 to low 4 star players.

Wods317

« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »

100% get what you're saying.

Wods317

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »

I honestly think if we have a disappointing year where we don't at least contend for a NCAA spot, and we don't land Luther or any big recruit then this staff has gotta go. I honestly don't see any point of having them stay. They can't recruit, and if they don't win this year they will have proven that they can't coach/develop players.

At least with Lavin we knew he could recruit, but was a terrible coach. Mullin can't recruit and is a terrible coach. If we can't bring top players here we at least have to have someone who can coach up those 3 to low 4 star players.

Not going to happen. To me unless a coaching staff shows to be completely inept they should be given 4-5 years. At least let their first class graduate and maybe one additional year. This staff will definitely get that. This year is definitely big for us.

« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
What a revolting development this is! When will we ever learn?  ???

paultzman

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »
Ouch!

goredmen

« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
We better dominate the transfer market if we're ever gonna be good....

« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2017, 03:25:27 PM »
I'm ready to just be Transfer U

« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
Hate to beat a dead horse, but coach backed the wrong pony

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

So we all agree we should go the Gonzaga route correct? Okay, cool.

QuanMan

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »
I'm at a loss. I guess we now move to pursue Greg Williams down South full time which may be a repeat of reaching too high once again. The trends are puzzling of late. This makes one question the fundamental approach that the staff is taking amidst the rebuild in Year3:

1) Striving for the 4-5 stars (Naz Reid, Jordan Tucker, Nas Little, Luther) has been trying, exhausting and in the end disappointing.

2) Meanwhile there were also embarrassing misjudgments in this last recruiting cycle (Jessica debacle, Sid Wilson catastrophe). 

3) While starry eyed we haven't been pursuing elite city talent that could add to our core (Isaiah Washington a big time slip, Hasahn French. I'm dumbfounded how we're not more involved with Andre Hyatt and Markquis Nowell)

Meanwhile a successful season is teetering right in front of us, which now includes an even greater degree of pressure. Recruiting is a monster that needs constant attention. I understand Mullin's pursuit of Jordan Brown, but why wasn't he on Luther's doorstep like Huggins and Holtmann have been this past week?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:22:16 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

derk

« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »
Ouch!

Jeez,

What does that mean ! Is it over and out ? How and why ?

« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »
3) While starry eyed we haven't been pursuing elite city talent that could add to our core (Isaiah Washington a big time slip, Hasahn French). I'm dumbfounded how we're not more involved with Andre Hyatt and Markquis Nowell)

I believed we missed out on French after receiving a verbal from Zach Brown.  Frankly, I hate that we missed out on French.

Meanwhile a successful season is teetering right in front of us, which now includes an even greater degree of pressure. Recruiting is a monster that needs constant attention. I understand Mullin's pursuit of Jordan Brown, but why wasn't he on Luther's doorstep like Huggins and Holtmann have been this past week?

The staff went to see Muhammad in his school last week, and has been to his home twice (once with the two or three staff members and the other from Matt A.)  within the past couple of weeks.  What else do you want 'em to do outside of sleeping on his bedroom floor?

Overall, I do believe the staff (outside of Matt) was a bit too lukewarm, per se'.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:28:47 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
Is it time to flat out beg Lovett to stay next year (and get degree) and hope Ponds stays put too?