DEFENSE?

• 68 replies

hnk

Re: DEFENSE?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
Not including last night, believe it or not, our defense has improved ....we are double teaming the ball when it goes inside and rotating over has improved.  Gives hope for next year.  Still a long way to go.

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Didn't last night's game count?

It's happened a few times this season, but we did not appear ready to play at the start of the game.  Team still does not play consistently hard for a full 40: when we did not match Butler's intensity at the start of the game, for all intents and purposes the game was over.

We've had more than a few disappointing defensive efforts this year wrapped around a handful of encouraging ones, but lawst night's effort and defense was far and away our worst. (We looked like last year's team out there, and having Mussini as high scorer only cemented that impression.)

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
110 points. Can anyone remember a higher score?

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »

At the very least its most points allowed in the past 20 years.  My service only goes back to 1996.

Thats embarrassing

cjfish

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »
Unbelievably bad D but I agree that over the last 5 or 6 games the defense has appreciably improved.  Played like they did early in the season.....hopefully only a one game regression

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
Yesterday was a BAD day. A read bad day. They've been better last night not withstanding.

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »

Sometimes I think that they don't care on the road. They know that unless they win the B.E. Tourny, that their season is over after a loss in the BE Tourny.
They know the tournament is at MSG, so maybe they only try there. I'm just guessing.

Why not try for 9-9 though? Even if they win the last 2 at msg, that's only 8.
They aren't winning @ Creighton, so Marq is a huge game, just for the purpose of not finishing under 500 in big east play.

TONYD3

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
Yesterday was a BAD day. A read bad day. They've been better last night not withstanding.
I agree the defense had been better lately . So has everything. I am actually glad the score got so out of hand. Defense and rebounding have to be more of a focus now.

hnk

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »
Could someone please explain to me what our defensive scheme was this season?

Is that the plan for the future?

I think I noticed we were double teaming  the ball inside the paint and trying to push the ball to the side of the off hand outside the paint.

What else?

What's the strategy for improving boxing out?

Thanks

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
Could someone please explain to me what our defensive scheme was this season?

Is that the plan for the future?

I think I noticed we were double teaming  the ball inside the paint and trying to push the ball to the side of the off hand outside the paint.

What else?

What's the strategy for improving boxing out?

Thanks

The double team really depends on the guy in the paint. Don't expect it to come so heavily tonight.

hnk

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
What's the defensive plan/scheme for 17/18?

One relatvely easy thing to fix:  cut down on run outs.....so someone has to always get back.  If Lovett penetrates the other guard has to get back.

Some ideas: Hands up defense or sit down.  Matador defense sit for a while.  Two missed rotations sit for two minutes. Take a play off on defense then sit.  Missed box outs...sit. During games, one assistant should be focused on just defensive end.

Can we press or at least double team the ball at half court?

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
Zone.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 10:06:03 AM »
For quite a few games next season we know we're going to suit up 8 players. Right now, we have 10, and we know from watching just the last season, that guys get hurt all the time. Thankfully nothing was serious enough to cost a player his season last year, but like we saw with Williams, it happens.

So, zone it is. Can't go man with 8 players, especially if the ultra durable Amar Alibegovic is one of them.

cjfish

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
What's the defensive plan/scheme for 17/18?

One relatvely easy thing to fix:  cut down on run outs.....so someone has to always get back.  If Lovett penetrates the other guard has to get back.

Some ideas: Hands up defense or sit down.  Matador defense sit for a while.  Two missed rotations sit for two minutes. Take a play off on defense then sit.  Missed box outs...sit. During games, one assistant should be focused on just defensive end.

Can we press or at least double team the ball at half court?

If we play D anything like last year all the sitting will result in the walkons playing, I agree something must be done re D and feel the outstanding team quickness should be used to press and double for a good portion of the game.   

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
We were also the second youngest team in the country last year.  This year we are bigger, older and more experienced.  I definitely think we should use more zone to
Mix things up and preserve our team health a bit.  I think defense will improve regardless.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 05:48:33 PM »
We were also the second youngest team in the country last year.  This year we are bigger, older and more experienced.  I definitely think we should use more zone to
Mix things up and preserve our team health a bit.  I think defense will improve regardless.

Where have I heard this second youngest team in the country line before?

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »

Where have I heard this second youngest team in the country line before?

Yeah it happened before but we improved after that as well.  Mullin certainly had a rebuild.

hnk

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »
Switching up defenses would be  positive.  What sort of zone are you guys thinking about?

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2017, 07:39:53 AM »
Switching up defenses would be  positive.  What sort of zone are you guys thinking about?

1-3-1 with Simon at the top with his length and Ponds running the baseline with his fast hands and nose for the ball. It helps limit dribble penetration and will keep Owens out of could trouble. Then some 2-3 with 3/4 pressure and aggressive traps. Try to  funnel the ball handler
to one side to trap or force long cross-court passes like Dunlap did here.

hnk

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »
Can you trap the corners out of a 1-3-1?