Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE

• 178 replies
Re: Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks.
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2017, 01:02:35 PM »
Cj - don't dismiss the city... I've seen more than a few Instagram posts from player like Clark, Simon, Mussini, Ellison  in various spots around the city.

Re: Marilla Hall - Have they renovated the classrooms or just cafeteria ?  Last time I was in a Marillac classroom was '97, and it could have passed for 1969.. elementary school wood desks and all.

Overall, campus looks better but will never be picturesque.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:44:32 PM by RedStormNC »

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
Following St. John’s Visit, Derrick Walker Closing in on Decision  http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/31/following-st-johns-visit-derrick-walker-closing-decision/

SJU79

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
When he signs  credit goes to comfort level he had with Matt and how much Marvin is loving his time here ...

paultzman

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2017, 03:11:11 PM »
Yeah, Marvin is a real plus to program & in this recruitment for sure.

SJU79

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
Marvin is a great kid, loving his SJu experience and alleviated all his concerns about a big city

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
Agree SJU79, common theme I hear is Marvin will bring a lot of leadership to the program.

QuanMan

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the insider info as always fellas. This kid appears to be a real throwback 4man, brute strength, rebounding and toughness. Just what the doctor ordered.
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
Agree SJU79, common theme I hear is Marvin will bring a lot of leadership to the program.

Loved hearing him mic'd up a couple a games ago. He seems to have a team first attitude and was very engaged in the game. Him and Simon seem to be good friends, always see them together.

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Cj - don't dismiss the city... I've seen more than a few Instagram posts from player like Clark, Simon, Mussini, Ellison  in various spots around the city.

Re: Marilla Hall - Have they renovated the classrooms or just cafeteria ?  Last time I was in a Marillac classroom was '97, and it could have passed for 1969.. elementary school wood desks and all.

Overall, campus looks better but will never be picturesque.

Marilac cafeteria was only thing that was renovated but they of course have all new desks in the classrooms.

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »
I kept saying to myself, "Walker resembles someone."  It just dawned on me.  He resembles the Harrison twins (who played for Kentucky).

cjfish

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
Got to love a kid whose highlights are a series of tough inside moves.  His games is a throwback and the kid already looks like a beast, He is exactly what we need.

derk

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »
Following St. John’s Visit, Derrick Walker Closing in on Decision  http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/31/following-st-johns-visit-derrick-walker-closing-decision/

" a little undersized" . He looks every bit of 6'8, 240 to me. I wish we had that undersized big right now.

MCNPA

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »

" a little undersized" . He looks every bit of 6'8, 240 to me. I wish we had that undersized big right now.

I don't think he's undersized for a PF.  His coach talks about him developing his perimeter game, which is something I don't the we need.  We need him to be a PF/undersized center and to do exactly what he does in those videos, which is right around the rim.

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »

I don't think he's undersized for a PF.  His coach talks about him developing his perimeter game, which is something I don't the we need.  We need him to be a PF/undersized center and to do exactly what he does in those videos, which is right around the rim.
That might be what we selfishly need but think his coach is looking out for his needs and a pro career where at his size will need a perimeter game to complement his other attributes.

Wods317

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »

That might be what we selfishly need but think his coach is looking out for his needs and a pro career where at his size will need a perimeter game to complement his other attributes.

I think you are probably right but why does every big now work on their perimeter game so much? You can do plenty of damage in the post working on post moves, a hook shot, or a small jumper. Walker if he develops like a 10 foot jumper and rebounds will be effective.

MCNPA

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 02:08:38 PM »
A perimeter game won't make a big guy more marketable as a pro, unless their perimeter game is top notch.  Most of the best undersized PF's the Big East has had have been guys that don't step to the perimeter, and the big east has had a lot of them.  Give me the Rashod Kent/Chevy troutman types any day.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:53:19 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »

I think you are probably right but why does every big now work on their perimeter game so much? You can do plenty of damage in the post working on post moves, a hook shot, or a small jumper. Walker if he develops like a 10 foot jumper and rebounds will be effective.

I'm a believer in the saying "you have to be good before you can be great." Set hard picks, dominate the glass, roll hard off screens, play defense, outwork everyone, and hit your FTs and open jumpers. After that, and only after that, can you focus on other areas.

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
Good luck in the SEC

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Good luck in the SEC

What? I have seen no mention of him choosing

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Good luck in the SEC

What? I have seen no mention of him choosing

It's coming