Transfer wish list

• 411 replies
Re: Transfer wish list
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
Need bigs and more bigs. Guys who can rebound and bang.  Guards are a luxury for this team right now.

We really only need 1 big fitting that description assuming Yakwe stays.  Higher on my wish list is a dynamic SF who can slash and defend, and I love the sound of a Charlie Moore type playmaker on layaway for 18-19. 

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »
Chase Jeter

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
Charlie Moore, Brandon Sampson & Antonio Blakeney, Samir Doughty,  C.J Bryce (UNCW)

Doughty definitely, but could Brandon Sampson even play here?

Why?

Doughty signed an NLI, so not sure he could transfer back to a BE school although if he was academically ineligible the NLI becomes Null and Void.

Sampson never signed so there are no issues with him.

Doighty signed an NLI with us not another Big East school so of course he can transfer back here without a problem. I don't see why he would want to, though, since this staff  didn't want him the first time around.

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
Charlie Moore, Brandon Sampson & Antonio Blakeney, Samir Doughty,  C.J Bryce (UNCW)

Why?

Doughty signed an NLI, so not sure he could transfer back to a BE school although if he was academically ineligible the NLI becomes Null and Void.

Doighty signed an NLI with us not another Big East school so of course he can transfer back here without a problem. I don't see why he would want to, though, since this staff  didn't want him the first time around.

No he can't if it was valid.  I don't believe it is currently valid anyway.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Chase Jeter

Think he goes closer to home back west. I'd love him though. Loves to rebound.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Johnny23

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
Need bigs and more bigs. Guys who can rebound and bang.  Guards are a luxury for this team right now.

We really only need 1 big fitting that description assuming Yakwe stays.  Higher on my wish list is a dynamic SF who can slash and defend, and I love the sound of a Charlie Moore type playmaker on layaway for 18-19.

I'd rather have 2. You're assuming that Yakwe makes some grand improvement next year and becomes a rebounder/offensive post presence which he currently is not. That's quite a leap of faith in him and I'm not buying it until I see it.

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

I'd rather have 2. You're assuming that Yakwe makes some grand improvement next year and becomes a rebounder/offensive post presence which he currently is not. That's quite a leap of faith in him and I'm not buying it until I see it.

Actually, I'm assuming Yakwe stays about the same.  Owens Clark Yakwe + tbd grad transfer space eater is plenty of depth up front.  I'd rather make sure we have ample playmakers on the perimeter on both sides of the ball than take a second big man transfer.

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »

Don't need 2.

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »

Actually, I'm assuming Yakwe stays about the same.  Owens Clark Yakwe + tbd grad transfer space eater is plenty of depth up front.  I'd rather make sure we have ample playmakers on the perimeter on both sides of the ball than take a second big man transfer.

^^^ This.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Charlie Moore, so he'd always be a welcome addition. I'd like to add three transfers: two grad transfers and a sign and sit. Give me Geno Thorpe to play some D give some versatility on the perimeter as a grad transfer. Then a big man grad transfer like Marin Maric (hasn't said he'll transfer yet but is rumored). Alternatively, George King of Colorado would be a great get as a big SG/SF grad transfer who can score (also hasn't announced)...although the coach at Colorado somehow has been able to convince a ton of similar players at the same position to stay and play smaller roles than they deserve.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »

Why?

No he can't if it was valid.  I don't believe it is currently valid anyway.

You think a kid can't come back to the SAME Big East school he signed his NLI with? That's absurd. The purpose of the rule is to prevent intraconference transfers.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Charlie Moore, so he'd always be a welcome addition. I'd like to add three transfers: two grad transfers and a sign and sit. Give me Geno Thorpe to play some D give some versatility on the perimeter as a grad transfer. Then a big man grad transfer like Marin Maric (hasn't said he'll transfer yet but is rumored). Alternatively, George King of Colorado would be a great get as a big SG/SF grad transfer who can score (also hasn't announced)...although the coach at Colorado somehow has been able to convince a ton of similar players at the same position to stay and play smaller roles than they deserve.

Don't think 2 immediate transfers is going to happen. Think if a grad transfer happens it will be in front court.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »

It's fair to expect Owens to come back better with more weight since weight/strength was his only limitation. Clarke is also a monster at 6'7 235 and he Ahmed could easily handle 20 mpg at
the four. Williams proved he can be a decent 10-12 mpg guy and projects to be even better next year if he can be healthy. Than there is Yakwe. If he stays the same, he can be another 10-12 mpg guy...more on those nights he brings it or there is foul trouble. Amar, if he stays, would be a safety valve who can play 5 mpg around the TV timeouts when teams out in the bottom of their depth.

I think we could get through the season with what we have if certain guys come back stronger and in shape. One grad transfer that can score down low and rebound would be enough.

Johnny23

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »

Fair enough. I keep forgetting that Williams should be back next year. We definitely need another big and another playmaker never hurts.

Johnny23

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »

It's fair to expect Owens to come back better with more weight since weight/strength was his only limitation. Clarke is also a monster at 6'7 235 and he Ahmed could easily handle 20 mpg at
the four. Williams proved he can be a decent 10-12 mpg guy and projects to be even better next year if he can be healthy. Than there is Yakwe. If he stays the same, he can be another 10-12 mpg guy...more on those nights he brings it or there is foul trouble. Amar, if he stays, would be a safety valve who can play 5 mpg around the TV timeouts when teams out in the bottom of their depth.

I think we could get through the season with what we have if certain guys come back stronger and in shape. One grad transfer that can score down low and rebound would be enough.

Bash at the 4? He'll get killed by bigger teams. Clarke is the big wildcard for our frontcourt to me. If he performs than I agree one big is enough. Williams should play a bigger role next year too I agree on that.

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »

Bash at the 4? He'll get killed by bigger teams. Clarke is the big wildcard for our frontcourt to me. If he performs than I agree one big is enough. Williams should play a bigger role next year too I agree on that.

Did he get killed this year playing the four? I dont want him playing exclusively there but he can handle minutes upfront. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
Ahmed is a really bad defender. At the 3 he constantly loses his guy on the permiter resulting in way to many open 3's. When he plays the 4 we get absolutely killed on the boards.

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »
Ahmed is a really bad defender. At the 3 he constantly loses his guy on the permiter resulting in way to many open 3's. When he plays the 4 we get absolutely killed on the boards.

Would venture that our getting killed on the boards had much more to do with our starting center averaging 3 rbs a game. Just me.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »

Would venture that our getting killed on the boards had much more to do with our starting center averaging 3 rbs a game. Just me.
Agree. He didn't rebound and couldn't guard anyone either.

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »

Been saying it for awhile, he needs to come off the bench. The guy is uncoachable