Bryan Trimble, SG, Kansas City, Ks. - ST. JOHN'S

• 162 replies

Wods317

Re: Bryan Trimble, SG, Kansas City, Ks.
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 09:35:31 PM »
So where does this leave us for Luther Muhammad? Assuming Lovett leaves after this season, and if this kid commits, we'd have Ponds, Simon, Dixon and now Trimble. Wouldn't that be a fit crowded to offer playing time to Muhammad?

You have to be kidding right?

Why am I kidding? Recruits like immediate playing time offered. Not saying Luther wouldn't immediately start if he came here, but it gets sticky. Especially because you're now looking to sign players who you're already looking to recruit over?

So by that logic we should have no players so every freshman can come in and player major minutes. That's not how you build a winning program. If Luther doesn't want to have to fight against lesser players for his minutes then that's on him not the staff.

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
So where does this leave us for Luther Muhammad? Assuming Lovett leaves after this season, and if this kid commits, we'd have Ponds, Simon, Dixon and now Trimble. Wouldn't that be a fit crowded to offer playing time to Muhammad?

Why am I kidding? Recruits like immediate playing time offered. Not saying Luther wouldn't immediately start if he came here, but it gets sticky. Especially because you're now looking to sign players who you're already looking to recruit over?

So by that logic we should have no players so every freshman can come in and player major minutes. That's not how you build a winning program. If Luther doesn't want to have to fight against lesser players for his minutes then that's on him not the staff.

Bottom line is a Bryan Trimble commitment will have no impact on Muhammad's recruitment to SJU.

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »

No, that's not what I'm getting at. There are always going to be freshman who start and get plenty of minutes. I'm just pointing to the fact that we'd be getting crowded at the guard position, and he may not want to have to deal with that. I'm also pointing out the fact that we're recruiting players who we're already recruiting over for next year. I know we have a need for this year, but not sure how this will all play out.

Wods317

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

No, that's not what I'm getting at. There are always going to be freshman who start and get plenty of minutes. I'm just pointing to the fact that we'd be getting crowded at the guard position, and he may not want to have to deal with that. I'm also pointing out the fact that we're recruiting players who we're already recruiting over for next year. I know we have a need for this year, but not sure how this will all play out.

You can't stop recruiting because you think we might get Luther. So we don't take Trimble and then we don't land Luther, then we are out two players. If a top 50 player doesn't want to fight for minutes against a 3 star guy then there is a problem there.

cjfish

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
This kid could fit in well, I like 2 small guards and 2 strong guards as a concept. He will not play too much unless there is an injury but the insurance is important.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »

I understand your point. It's not a bad point at all. If a backcourt looks really crowded, a kid may go elsewhere. We're not a program that gets top point guards who are willing to sit and wait their turn.

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
He's in.

wpc77

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
He's in.

Good late pickup.  Some might say we picked up FSU's scraps (recruiting is a dirty game).  Flip side is that he is a good outside shooter and athlete that was offered by other major conference schools prior to signing with FSU. 

QuanMan

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »
He's in.

Credit to Moose for being upfront on his intentions which let us act quickly. Instant chemistry with vocal leader Marv should expedite things. Much needed security blanket for this year's success. If he can give us 5-15 mpg as Marcus, Shamorie and JSimon rest all while developing I'm all for this. Hopefully he's here for Summer Session II with the rest of the team. Additional credit to the staff who have been working their tail's off to make this team ultimately BETTER with each of these UPGRADES.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »
Reminds me of quincy roberts
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

lihoop

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
so are there any open ships for 2017 left to get a big or have they sailed until next year?

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »

My first thought too.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

derk

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
He's in.

Not according to Paultzman on RM.com. Want to rethink your comment or provide some support for it ?

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
He's in.

Not according to Paultzman on RM.com. Want to rethink your comment or provide some support for it ?
I'll go with Paultzman on this.  He may be in....but there's no wiggle room in this post.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »

I do not see that. Quincy was taller and skinnier.  This kid seems more similar to the pair of Creighton guards, especially Marcus Foster. I just hope he's not a poor man's version. I'm pleased we added some guard depth and a 200-pounder at that. Hopefully the strength and conditioning staff won't drop the ball with him and he'll be 215 by next year.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »

I do not see that. Quincy was taller and skinnier.  This kid seems more similar to the pair of Creighton guards, especially Marcus Foster. I just hope he's not a poor man's version. I'm pleased we added some guard depth and a 200-pounder at that. Hopefully the strength and conditioning staff won't drop the ball with him and he'll be 215 by next year.

I'm not gonna lie, I see some Magic Johnson.

goredmen

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »
he's in

Jon Rothstein‏
Former Florida State commit Bryan Trimble has committed to St. John's, per a source. #SJUBB

sju89tr

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:56 PM »
he's in

Jon Rothstein‏
Former Florida State commit Bryan Trimble has committed to St. John's, per a source. #SJUBB

Could be a solid pickup

This is the type of kid that goes to PC then kills us for 4 years

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
We certainly seem to have our recruiting mojo back with 4 commits in last 2 months with 3 being recent. Like this late pick-up, very fortuitous for us and a thank you to Matt of whom I read was on this kid for two years.

goredmen

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
he's in

Jon Rothstein‏

Could be a solid pickup

This is the type of kid that goes to PC then kills us for 4 years

Agree. I think Paultzman alluded to some eligibility concerns so let's hope everything goes well there and he can play from day 1.

If we look at this through the lens of a Trimble for Mussini one for one trade which is likely what this is assuming Trimble wouldn't have come here had Mussini stayed, I don't think it's all that bad of a trade for us. Mussini pretty much only offered us spot up shooting while this kid will give us a bigger guard than can guard 1s or 2s which I think is more of what this team will need coming off the bench this year. If we don't greatly improve our defense from last year to this year then the NIT is the absolute ceiling.