Thoughts on the scrimmage

• 62 replies

Poison

Re: Thoughts on the scrimmage
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
The board is eerily quiet for an opening night. I know you can't tell much from a scrimmage -- and this was loose even compared to normal scrimmages -- but here are some thoughts:

Simon looks freakishly athletic and  very strong finishing. He's a big kid and listed at 215 on the roster. When you take those extra 20 lbs into account, he's knocking on Dom's door athletically. Also nice to see was how he crashed the glass for finishes.

Ahmed is the only guy who can really dance on the roster. Beyond that, he looked more explosive than last year and finished some really strong dunks. His movement was more efficient as well.  If he can put it together as many JuCos do year two, that would be a huge boost.

T.O.'s body is disappointing. He's listed at just 205. It's inexcusable for him to be less than 225 this year. Any other major program would have had him near 240 by now. 

We have a lot of lefties.

Simon seemed happy to defer PG duties in the half court as expected.

Clark's outside shot looks nice for a big man. I would be surprised to see him around 40% if he limits his shots to 3-4 open looks a game.

Two years ago Lovett was faster than anyone I've ever seen compared to the rest of the players on the floor...last year he just looked quick...this year he didn't stand out at all. I take that as a sign that the athletic ability around him as improved significantly.
Back to basketball.   Yakwe looks to be much improved and much more confident.  Here's hoping he takes this to actual games.  Amir also looks much better...Everyone played ole defense out there...so who knows?  I'm praying Ponds doesn't launch half court bricks during games.  Undisciplined.  Clark/Simon look like the real deal.  Same with Trimble.  Again, this team will have to play defense.  It does us no good to score 90+ points a game when we're giving up 100.

I think a lot of us are forgetting that making it out of this nonsense without a major knee injury during a dunk contest is all that we should hope for. I don't want any of them playing defense during a dance party. And we shouldn't be worrying about Ponds chucking up bad shots. He makes them in games.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:39:13 PM by Poison »

ras

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »
The board is eerily quiet for an opening night. I know you can't tell much from a scrimmage -- and this was loose even compared to normal scrimmages -- but here are some thoughts:

Simon looks freakishly athletic and  very strong finishing. He's a big kid and listed at 215 on the roster. When you take those extra 20 lbs into account, he's knocking on Dom's door athletically. Also nice to see was how he crashed the glass for finishes.

Ahmed is the only guy who can really dance on the roster. Beyond that, he looked more explosive than last year and finished some really strong dunks. His movement was more efficient as well.  If he can put it together as many JuCos do year two, that would be a huge boost.

T.O.'s body is disappointing. He's listed at just 205. It's inexcusable for him to be less than 225 this year. Any other major program would have had him near 240 by now. 

Clark's outside shot looks nice for a big man. I would be surprised to see him around 40% if he limits his shots to 3-4 open looks a game.

Two years ago Lovett was faster than anyone I've ever seen compared to the rest of the players on the floor...last year he just looked quick...this year he didn't stand out at all. I take that as a sign that the athletic ability around him as improved significantly.
Back to basketball.   Yakwe looks to be much improved and much more confident.  Here's hoping he takes this to actual games.  Amir also looks much better...Everyone played ole defense out there...so who knows?  I'm praying Ponds doesn't launch half court bricks during games.  Undisciplined.  Clark/Simon look like the real deal.  Same with Trimble.  Again, this team will have to play defense.  It does us no good to score 90+ points a game when we're giving up 100.
I think Yakwe is the wildcard. We need one more piece on the inside. Cant count on Owens giving us 35 minutes a game. Lets hope this year is an improved version of his freshman year.

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
it seems to be the collective wisdom on here that our defense needs improving, but that our offense was ok.  Actually they were both pretty bad.  our tempo, which was 11th in the country just made it appear that our defense was worse than it is and offense was better than it is.  Offense was 90th and defense was 130th according to kenpom stats.  Offense was a bit better than D, but unless one somehow becomes elite (top 15 or so), both will need to improve into the 50s or so for this team to make the tournament. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:34:23 AM by apesNapes »

TONYD3

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
it seems to be the collective wisdom on here that our defense needs improving, but that our offense was ok.  Actually they were both pretty bad.  our tempo, which was 11th in the country just made it appear that our defense was worse than it is and offense was better than it is.  Offense was 90th and defense was 130th according to kenpom stats.  Offense was a bit better than D, but unless one somehow becomes elite (top 15 or so), both will need to improve into the 50s or so for this team to make the tournament. 
Agree. I don’t think the offense is efficient. We take to many bad shots. Bad players take way to many shots period. The tempo makes no sense to me.  Can’t win playing so fast and inefficient. Sadly the defense is much worse. No intensity.  We often don’t box out. Our Guards allow way to much penetration. Wing players, don’t recognize and cover shooters. Our big players are not physical. All they do is try and block shots.
I want to make the tournament also. And I will still watch every game. We have some talent. Their will be some games. But this team does not play wining basketball.

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
I want to make the tournament also. And I will still watch every game. We have some talent. Their will be some games. But this team does not play wining basketball.

They haven't played any games yet, how would you know if they play winning basketball or not?

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »

They haven't played any games yet, how would you know if they play winning basketball or not?
Contrast to Kentucky's Midnight Madness.  They meant business.  We were content to entertain.

ras

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
Midnight madness is nothing more than a glorified pep rally. I'm fine w entertainment providing the team plays tough and plays D in the real games.

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »

Contrast to Kentucky's Midnight Madness.  They meant business.  We were content to entertain.

Right that's why Kentucky gets 5 star recruits and will win more games than SJU this year, because for 1 hour on the 1st practice they were 10% more serious than SJU.

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
More unnecessary embarrassment for this program and school . Apparently more embarrassing news coming soon...stay tuned
Do tell.

He won't

I can't

Sure you're can.  Just don't reveal your sources. 

On the real, Baldi....  You won't reveal it because it probably won't come to fruition, and it'll create an out for you, if don't reveal it.

Baldi's source is pretty obvious.

But more importantly we have a fat guard? How come I was not informed of this? Lot of potential comedy there.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2017, 03:55:57 PM »
The impression I have from the staff is that they are very good at coaching the offensive side of the ball and all the nuances that go with it. I've heard first hand from a coach I respect that St. Jean is a "monster" on that side of the ball. But offense is fun and it's easy physically. Defense is grueling and zaps your energy. You need a coach that obsesses over every detail. A split-second late on a switch or help and you might as well not even try. I'm not sure we have that guy on the staff and, for that reason, I'm not bullish on our chances even with an exponentially more talented roster.

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »
More unnecessary embarrassment for this program and school . Apparently more embarrassing news coming soon...stay tuned
Do tell.

He won't

I can't

On the real, Baldi....  You won't reveal it because it probably won't come to fruition, and it'll create an out for you, if don't reveal it.

But more importantly we have a fat guard? How come I was not informed of this? Lot of potential comedy there.

My source says you are wrong. And you like fat men

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2017, 04:02:57 PM »

I think Yakwe is the wildcard. We need one more piece on the inside. Cant count on Owens giving us 35 minutes a game. Lets hope this year is an improved version of his freshman year.

With 7 main guys, we have a lot of wildcards. We really need Simon to be a stud...that is probably the best surprise this team could get because of his size and versatility. We need one of Clark or Yakwe to step up for sure to have a chance.

Ahmed is also a candidate for a breakout if he trimmed some of the fat off his game and comes back more committed to defense.

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
Do tell.

He won't

I can't

My source says you are wrong. And you like fat men

Well your source is a fat man  ;) But I like chicks and they like me

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »
The impression I have from the staff is that they are very good at coaching the offensive side of the ball and all the nuances that go with it. I've heard first hand from a coach I respect that St. Jean is a "monster" on that side of the ball. But offense is fun and it's easy physically. Defense is grueling and zaps your energy. You need a coach that obsesses over every detail. A split-second late on a switch or help and you might as well not even try. I'm not sure we have that guy on the staff and, for that reason, I'm not bullish on our chances even with an exponentially more talented roster.

Fair point

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »

Fair point

Agreed. Great job Marillac. It all starts at the top with Lovett and Ponds. Both need to put more effort in the defense. Big East is full of great guards, these 2 need to keep  in front of them

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »

Right that's why Kentucky gets 5 star recruits and will win more games than SJU this year, because for 1 hour on the 1st practice they were 10% more serious than SJU.
It's the difference between a winning mentality and a not give a sht mentality.  Five star players don't always win championships.

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »
Agree. I don’t think the offense is efficient. We take to many bad shots. Bad players take way to many shots period. The tempo makes no sense to me.  Can’t win playing so fast and inefficient. Sadly the defense is much worse. No intensity.  We often don’t box out. Our Guards allow way to much penetration. Wing players, don’t recognize and cover shooters. Our big players are not physical. All they do is try and block shots.

Disagree.  The offense was good last year.  The defense was embarrassing.

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:55 PM »

+1

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2017, 11:06:46 PM »
+++ 9000.  Some kids have better defensive techniques or instincts than others, but our guys have the athletic ability to improve on their end.

Fair point

Agreed. Great job Marillac. It all starts at the top with Lovett and Ponds. Both need to put more effort in the defense. Big East is full of great guards, these 2 need to keep  in front of them

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »

It's the difference between a winning mentality and a not give a sht mentality.  Five star players don't always win championships.

That's a crock.  The difference is UK can pay a top coach 7-10 million a year, have a ridiculous fan base with ridiculous boosters to support a big program.

Butler did not have a midnight madness at all, so that must put them behind BOTH SJU and UK except Butler has done just fine.  Chris Holtmann left Butler probably because Butler doesn't have a midnight madness right???

Or because Ohio St is a top 15 program with gobs of money and incredible facilities...

The idea that Midnight Madness is what is separating SJU from UK is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:16:59 AM by fordham96 »