KenPom Preseason Rankings

• 49 replies

Marillac

Re: KenPom Preseason Rankings
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:42 PM »
Comes down to our coaching staff. McDermott will out coach us in his sleep. Wojo is better too, remains to be seen if the new HC at Butler is as good as the two previous.

Our coaching staff has already put themselves in really tough spot. They are 1 big man injury away from wasting this season. Our success will be determined by health followed by coaching. The talent is there for us to compete.

I have to agree with you here. Creighton picked up Manny Suarez, a 6'10 250 grad transfer from Adelphi University, right under our noses. He played his first two years at Fordham. They had much more size than us too.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »
Comes down to our coaching staff. McDermott will out coach us in his sleep. Wojo is better too, remains to be seen if the new HC at Butler is as good as the two previous.

Our coaching staff has already put themselves in really tough spot. They are 1 big man injury away from wasting this season. Our success will be determined by health followed by coaching. The talent is there for us to compete.

I have to agree with you here. Creighton picked up Manny Suarez, a 6'10 250 grad transfer from Adelphi University, right under our noses. He played his first two years at Fordham. They had much more size than us too.
While we were chasing a cross dressing, armed robbery perp in Florida, Creighton literally came into our backyard and picked off a 6' 10" widebody. WTF?

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 09:06:42 PM »

While we were chasing a cross dressing, armed robbery perp in Florida, Creighton literally came into our backyard and picked off a 6' 10" widebody. WTF?

Hahahahahhahahhahahahahnahahahhahahahahahhwha

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:23 PM »
Never heard of kid..

http://www.gocreighton.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3847&path=mbb

Suarez had 32 pts & 17 rebounds vs. Molloy

Any chance Owens & Yakwe combined totals beat that when we play Molloy in a few weeks?

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 10:23:11 PM »
Suarez has a lot of baggage

Foad

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »

Suarez played 19 games in his one year at Fordham, where he averaged 1.2 points per game and shot .20 percent from the floor. Then he played two years at a Division 2 school. Do you staff signing him would have been greeted positively? Because I don't. Because when St John's was looking at 7' 2" Nikola Scekic the usual suspects - several of whom are posting in this very thread - said "Let Scecik go to USF" and "If that stiff is playing 15 minutes we should just forfeit" and "Scekic is not worth pursuing" and described him as "Frankenstein" and wondered "Who else is recruiting this guy?". I was in favor of signing Jasiliounus II because he was 7'2" and all things considered 7'2" is good. Other people just like to complain that the ship be forever sinking, hahahahahaha. We're going to sign a seven foot stiff, that's a sign that staff is panicking. We didn't sign a seven foot stiff, that's a sign that the fans should panic.  Panic being the default mode.

And PS, Wojo sucks, we're lucky he's at Marquette because with him there they'll be mediocre forever.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Suarez had 32 pts & 17 rebounds vs. Molloy

Any chance Owens & Yakwe combined totals beat that when we play Molloy in a few weeks?

Molloy has one player who's over 6.5" and last year he averaged 6 minutes a game.

cjfish

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 09:19:25 AM »
"basketball is not for big people, its for basketball players"  Mugsy Bogues

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »
^ Mugsy never saw St. John's roster.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »

Suarez played 19 games in his one year at Fordham, where he averaged 1.2 points per game and shot .20 percent from the floor. Then he played two years at a Division 2 school. Do you staff signing him would have been greeted positively? Because I don't. Because when St John's was looking at 7' 2" Nikola Scekic the usual suspects - several of whom are posting in this very thread - said "Let Scecik go to USF" and "If that stiff is playing 15 minutes we should just forfeit" and "Scekic is not worth pursuing" and described him as "Frankenstein" and wondered "Who else is recruiting this guy?". I was in favor of signing Jasiliounus II because he was 7'2" and all things considered 7'2" is good. Other people just like to complain that the ship be forever sinking, hahahahahaha. We're going to sign a seven foot stiff, that's a sign that staff is panicking. We didn't sign a seven foot stiff, that's a sign that the fans should panic.  Panic being the default mode.

And PS, Wojo sucks, we're lucky he's at Marquette because with him there they'll be mediocre forever.

Joey De La Rosa was scary bad. He was uncoordinated and he had no business playing in the BE. Yet what you are not considering is that if a guy like that helps us win one game, he adds value to the team. Less value than everyone else, but value nonetheless. We are so thin up front that the chances Ahmed will be guarding a BE center for 20+ minutes are pretty good. St.John's never makes it through a season without injuries. Why does this staff act like this season will be any different?

There were grad transfers available. Maybe we didn't get the one we targeted, but is that a reason to knowingly go into a season short handed? You talk about Lavin's built in excuses. Well, Mullin has one here, and I'm not buying it. A big body, even a slow and uncoordinated one would help this team.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:32:02 AM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »

Joey De La Rosa was scary bad. He was uncoordinated and he had no business playing in the BE. Yet what you are not considering is that if a guy like that helps us win one game, he adds value to the team. Less value than everyone else, but value nonetheless. We are so thin up front that the chances Ahmed will he guarding a BE center for 20+ minutes are pretty good. St.John's never makes it through a season without injuries. Why does is staff acting like this season will be any different?

There were grad transfers available. Maybe we didn't get the one we targeted, but is that a reason to knowingly go into a season short handed? You talk about Lavin's built in excuses. Well, Mullin has one here, and I'm not buying it. A big body, even a slow and uncoordinated one would help this team.

My point was not that we could not use a slow uncoordinated lummox. I am all in favor of lummoxes. I'd be happy if this team had either of the DelaRosa brothers, or the kid from Adelphi or the community college Serb or Sean Muto for that matter. My point was that when there was a lummox on the horizon a couple of months ago people shit on him and then now those same people are bemoaning the loss of a different lummox who statistically is the same player.

There's no doubt the team could use a big body and staff came up short finding one for whatever reason. I'm not making excuses for that. Neither am I waiting for the sky to fall. I'm just waiting for the season to start.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:25 PM »

We could use a Frankenstein 4-5 mins most game this year.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 12:29:19 AM »

Joey De La Rosa was scary bad. He was uncoordinated and he had no business playing in the BE. Yet what you are not considering is that if a guy like that helps us win one game, he adds value to the team. Less value than everyone else, but value nonetheless. We are so thin up front that the chances Ahmed will he guarding a BE center for 20+ minutes are pretty good. St.John's never makes it through a season without injuries. Why does is staff acting like this season will be any different?

My point was not that we could not use a slow uncoordinated lummox. I am all in favor of lummoxes. I'd be happy if this team had either of the DelaRosa brothers, or the kid from Adelphi or the community college Serb or Sean Muto for that matter. My point was that when there was a lummox on the horizon a couple of months ago people shit on him and then now those same people are bemoaning the loss of a different lummox who statistically is the same player.

There's no doubt the team could use a big body and staff came up short finding one for whatever reason. I'm not making excuses for that. Neither am I waiting for the sky to fall. I'm just waiting for the season to start.

People shit on the uncoordinated lummox because we expected the staff to find a better player.

I don't care how they make the tournament. If Mullin wants to start 5 guards and it works, then great. If not, and they get manhandled inside again, the staff will deserve the criticism. Just like Lavin did when he and his staff were lazy and pulled in the same garbage.

derk

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »

Remember Johnson from several years ago, 7"5" scared the shit out of Notre Dame with a few minutes work.

ras

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »
 I remember the first time I saw Johnson. I was watching SJU play Miami in FL. I said to my father, that guy is built like Shaq. I soon found out why a player built like Shaq was a bench player. Amar is 6 9 w some skills ,lets hope he can do some banging this year and Yakwe improves. Im not a big fan of getting non skilled giants. That said, staff had plenty of time to add a big. Maybe we will get lucky and Morgan will work out.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »

Remember Johnson from several years ago, 7"5" scared the shit out of Notre Dame with a few minutes work.

Johnson turned the entire game around. The energy in the stands was crazy. Most lovable player ever too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:52:06 PM by Marillac »

MCNPA

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »
Our big guy situation isn’t nearly as bad as it was in the past.  Owens is actually quite. Decent center/pf,  we also have alibegovic and quite a few players that have decent size.  I remember the days when Glover at 6’5”was our center, and we had decent teams.  More
Importantly this year we have balance and excellent guards.  Should be a fun season if we stay healthy.   Need to defend and rebound.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 10:49:56 PM »
Our big guy situation isn’t nearly as bad as it was in the past.  Owens is actually quite. Decent center/pf,  we also have alibegovic and quite a few players that have decent size.  I remember the days when Glover at 6’5”was our center, and we had decent teams.  More
Importantly this year we have balance and excellent guards.  Should be a fun season if we stay healthy.   Need to defend and rebound.

Owens is one of the better bigs in the league. The problem is that he wa bullied last year by bigger players and the Big East loaded with monsters like Delgado, Spellaman, Govan, Kalif Young, O'Mara etc. all checking it at 45+ lbs more than Owens.

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »
Love Owens hustle, but problem is most of those guys are still in league and for the 10 lbs he probably gained, he's still 30+ lbs short.

He'll get his points, rebounds &  blocks, but I still expect the others to get better of him more than not.

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
We have 4 legitimate power forwards + Bashir who is capable of some time there. Unfortunately none of them are legitimate centers. If Owens can stay on the floor then I’m confident in making the tourney. Marvin, Yakwe, and Amar will have to be physical.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.