If Lovett misses rest of season or significant time......

• 122 replies

Foad

Re: If Lovett misses rest of season or significant time......
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
Nah these 2 teams won't play each other for another 20+ years.

Right, and the Toledo Mud Hens don't play the Cleveland Indians very often either. Because one team's in the majors and the other's in the minors.

Foad

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
. Ellison showed potential but let’s not kid ourselves, he was a lot of work away from being a legit BE starter or even rotation player. It is disappointing that he left because we’ve turned guys like into quality role players.

He was already a rotation player, he averaged 25 minutes a game last year. And as opposed to who's getting his minutes this year he's Bill Russell.

Question: in the off season when the walk on Holifield transferred you started an entire thread devoted to how much his loss was going to hurt to the program. Speaking of not kidding ourselves, can you explain why his loss was a detriment and Ellison's wasn't because he was a lot of work away  from being even a rotation player?

Thanks in advance.

Poison

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2018, 09:07:05 PM »
. Ellison showed potential but let’s not kid ourselves, he was a lot of work away from being a legit BE starter or even rotation player. It is disappointing that he left because we’ve turned guys like into quality role players.

He was already a rotation player, he averaged 25 minutes a game last year. And as opposed to who's getting his minutes this year he's Bill Russell.

Question: in the off season when the walk on Holifield transferred you started an entire thread devoted to how much his loss was going to hurt to the program. Speaking of not kidding ourselves, can you explain why his loss was a detriment and Ellison's wasn't because he was a lot of work away  from being even a rotation player?

Thanks in advance.

I didn’t say that Holifield was a loss and that Ellison wasn’t. I didn’t want either of them to leave. In regards to Ellison specifically, his departure was frustrating because we suffered through him learning the game and Pitt will probably reap the rewards. But like I said, he has a lot of work to do. Holifield wasn’t going to get serious minutes here unless our roster was decimated with injuries. But there have been games where we could have used him for 5-8 minutes to give Ponds or Simon a blow. I say this because we’ve played really well the last two games and in the last 5 minutes we’ve been unable to execute. I think it’s fair to assume that we were out of gas.

And to be perfectly clear, I never think it’s a good sign for a college basketball program when 6 players leave in one year, Or was it 7? I think I’ve lost count. Not a very good example of a staff that has control over their program.

They are both guys we could use now. Don’t you agree? Before you answer let me remind you that Amar Alibegovic is our second best ball handler off the bench.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:11:23 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »

Thanks in advance.

Ellison was one of my least favorite players but he would have really helped this squad. He could play some point and free up Ponds for jumpers while spacing the floor better than Simon. I think his absence has a lot to do with why Ponds has struggled from deep this year.

Trading him and Mussini for Lovett and Trimble add at least two wins to our record already IMO.

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
If this keeps up any longer I'm going to have start conducting interviews for the much coveted position of Carmineabbatiello favorite player.  Mussini was my only backup to Marcus and he already left for the motherland.

Mussini gave up more than he made when he wasn’t playing NEC level talent. That’s because he’s an NEC level talent. Nothing wrong with that. I bet he coulda put up 20 ppg in the NEC. Somewhere along the way Mussini was rated as a top college basketball prospect. Clearly not by anyone who saw him play defense. If you recall, we were all pretty excited when we beat out Gonzaga for him.

Still, having him out there might have given us the zone buster off the bench that Trimble isnt.

The player SJ misses is Ellison. Ironically he transferred (presumably) because he was scared to compete for playing time. Just goes to show.

Agree.  We honestly miss both, but Mussini leaving for a pro contract in his home country is much more understandable than Ellison sitting out a year to play for the worst team in the ACC when he would have played 25 mpg here.

Why go play  in The ACC when you can play for a last place team at Carnesecca Arena?

Good news: maybe he'll transfer to Iona, one of the best shittiest teams in America. He can look forward to losing to St John's for the rest of his life, like all the other losers Cluess recruits to your shitty MAAC program.

Nah these 2 teams won't play each other for another 20+ years. On the positive side, at the end of the season(March 7th)-at least St. John's can hang their hats on beating 1 tournament team this year

You really are ONE BIG SWINGING DICK.

That's what she said. 

goredmen

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »

Ellison was one of my least favorite players but he would have really helped this squad. He could play some point and free up Ponds for jumpers while spacing the floor better than Simon. I think his absence has a lot to do with why Ponds has struggled from deep this year.

Wut
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:37:57 PM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »

Wut

Many or even most of Ellison's assists were Ponds treys. His shot also kept Lovett on the ball more which led to Ponds being able to spot up.

goredmen

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2018, 10:24:23 PM »

Wut

Many or even most of Ellison's assists were Ponds treys. His shot also kept Lovett on the ball more which led to Ponds being able to spot up.

Simon is playing Ellison's role this year and is a far better passer than Ellison ever was. Simon is also better at driving off the dribble and getting into the lane, causing the defense to collapse. I think Ponds' shot is off because The staff has made him the primary ball handler when he's better suited off the ball. I think the game against SHU where Simon had to play point the whole game finally opened their eyes

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2018, 11:20:31 PM »

Wut

Simon is playing Ellison's role this year and is a far better passer than Ellison ever was. Simon is also better at driving off the dribble and getting into the lane, causing the defense to collapse. I think Ponds' shot is off because The staff has made him the primary ball handler when he's better suited off the ball. I think the game against SHU where Simon had to play point the whole game finally opened their eyes

Simon is a better passer but Ellison has a MUCH better handle. Simon isn't setting up Ponds for whatever reason. He's kicking to Clark, Ahmed and others off 1-2 dribbles. Guys aren't cheating off Ponds to help because they WANT Simon taking it to the basket.

ras

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »
I’d rather have Simon than Ellison. But,the departure of Ellison hurt a lot. He had nice size and could play the 1,2 or 3. I’d rather have Ellison than Mussini, more complete game. The departures are a huge concern. Hard to rebuild when you loose that many players not due to graduation.

« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
he's out again

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »
he's out again
Maybe he will be ready by Yanks home opener oh pinstriped one.

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »
@Marcus_LoVett
 1h
1 hour ago

The last time I had this injury I was a freshman (RS) due to academics and I handle that well and came back and played last season now it happens again I'm going to handle it with ease again
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:32:36 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2018, 02:39:38 PM »
@Marcus_LoVett
 1h
1 hour ago

The last time I had this injury I was a freshman (RS) due to academics and I handle that well and came back and played last season now it happens again I'm going to handle it with ease again

Yup sitting is easy

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
At this point, he really should just get himself 100 percent ready for next phase of his life with professional career, even if that means sit rest of year. He is not going to change direction for this season at this point

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
At this point, he really should just get himself 100 percent ready for next phase of his life with professional career, even if that means sit rest of year. He is not going to change direction for this season at this point

That's probably why he's been sitting out for so long....  To not hurt himself again nor his chances to play professionally somewhere.

paultzman

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »

That's probably why he's been sitting out for so long....  To not hurt himself again nor his chances to play professionally somewhere.

Yup

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2018, 03:23:37 PM »
So are we to the point where we know he could be playing right now but choosing not to for individual reasons?

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »
So are we to the point where we know he could be playing right now but choosing not to for individual reasons?

Per Paultz's response (and what I've been sensing) that sounds like the scenario.

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »
Mullin has to take his lumps this year and without LoVett get guys ready for next year.. if kid is really sitting, just to sit, then the season has been over for quite some time.