Around Big East

• 3954 replies

desco80

Re: around the big east
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »
I actually saw nothing wrong with what Zach said.   
Our struggles aren't a new thing - they do trace back to those games.   Even though we won by 10, nobody walked out of Holy Cross or the NJIT games saying we played well.   

And common opponents aren't a great measure, I'll admit that up front, but some of the games we won in single digits, our Big East breather-en won in blowouts.

We beat Detroit by 3, Pitt beat them by 13.
We beat C of Charleston by 11, Lousiville beat them by 42.    Not a misprint.
Holy Cross loss to Providence by 19.
And Pitt beat Fordham by 35.   

To say we've played well this far is incorrect.   We have struggled.   I think Zach is right.   I don't personally think outside shooting is the issue; I would point to 1) Defensive assignments   2) Rebounding   3) Ball movement.   
But regardless, I do agree we've struggled, and we do not look like a tournament caliber team.   
The best that can be said is we're young and supposedly very talented - if that talent develops... then we're a different team.

Moose

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
I actually saw nothing wrong with what Zach said.   
Our struggles aren't a new thing - they do trace back to those games.   Even though we won by 10, nobody walked out of Holy Cross or the NJIT games saying we played well.   

And common opponents aren't a great measure, I'll admit that up front, but some of the games we won in single digits, our Big East breather-en won in blowouts.

We beat Detroit by 3, Pitt beat them by 13.
We beat C of Charleston by 11, Lousiville beat them by 42.    Not a misprint.
Holy Cross loss to Providence by 19.
And Pitt beat Fordham by 35.   

To say we've played well this far is incorrect.   We have struggled.   I think Zach is right.   I don't personally think outside shooting is the issue; I would point to 1) Defensive assignments   2) Rebounding   3) Ball movement.   
But regardless, I do agree we've struggled, and we do not look like a tournament caliber team.   
The best that can be said is we're young and supposedly very talented - if that talent develops... then we're a different team.

I understand they are common opponents but I'm not a fan of playing 6 degrees of separation that way.  Its reaching IMO on so many grounds.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »
Margin of victory does not really mean much.

Last year STJ lost to Detroit by 6. ND beat Detroit by 6. STJ beat ND by 3. 

Your logic does not hold.

desco80

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
Margin of victory does not really mean much.

Last year STJ lost to Detroit by 6. ND beat Detroit by 6. STJ beat ND by 3. 

Your logic does not hold.

I know what you're saying.   It's not my first choice for comparison either; I'm just offering it to you guys as 1 example.  It's early in the season and we've all played these teams within the last month.   It's "a"  method of comparison, not necessarily the best.   Certainly there are plenty of other ways to measure a team's performance, no doubt.

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
Braziller: It's not just two games. St. John's struggles go back further than that, nearly losing to Holy Cross and Florida Gulf Coast as well.

Read more: - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/starting_five_prospects_storm_struggles_3OEm950rRgNFf8kzot1tMK#ixzz2ElypQHG4

I know these two were tighter than many of us expected or would have liked but double digit wins in both does not qualify as nearly losing.

And the other guy thinks were are tournament bound but Marco is our only shooter............

Think he said next year.

Missed that.  So proof he's even more nuts :)
So you don't think we are making tourney next year either. Must admit i may be confused.

Moose

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
Braziller: It's not just two games. St. John's struggles go back further than that, nearly losing to Holy Cross and Florida Gulf Coast as well.

Read more: - NYPOST.com http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesports/starting_five_prospects_storm_struggles_3OEm950rRgNFf8kzot1tMK#ixzz2ElypQHG4

I know these two were tighter than many of us expected or would have liked but double digit wins in both does not qualify as nearly losing.

And the other guy thinks were are tournament bound but Marco is our only shooter............

Think he said next year.

So you don't think we are making tourney next year either. Must admit i may be confused.

I've said many times were making it this year and its a disappointment if not.

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »

Think he said next year.

I've said many times were making it this year and its a disappointment if not.
Sorry, I got confused. Do remember you saying that but thought you may have changed your mind. Agree, prior to the season thought the same way-now not so sure our chances are above 50-50.

paultzman

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
“@BigEastMBB: DePaul rolls to a 78-61 win at Arizona State. Blue Demons improve to 7-3.”

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
“@BigEastMBB: DePaul rolls to a 78-61 win at Arizona State. Blue Demons improve to 7-3.”
Pretty impressive road win. Look out for the Blue Demons.

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB's Sampson Earns BIG EAST Rookie Of The Week Nod; Harrison Selected To Honor Roll: Plus updated @ncaastats: http://t.co/cFw7Ma7o

Moose

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB's Sampson Earns BIG EAST Rookie Of The Week Nod; Harrison Selected To Honor Roll: Plus updated @ncaastats: http://t.co/cFw7Ma7o

Interesting note-

Of note, St. John’s Moe Harkless was a two-time BIG EAST Rookie of the Week before going on to capture conference Rookie of the Year honors last season.

DFF6

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »

Interesting note-

Of note, St. John’s Moe Harkless was a two-time BIG EAST Rookie of the Week before going on to capture conference Rookie of the Year honors last season.

One or two more RotW awards during BE play, and I think Sampson is as good as gone to the NBA next year.  Bittersweet for SJU, but I think it's inevitable given the totality of the circumstances (e.g., conference uncertainty, projected weak NBA draft class this year and the other usual motivators).

Moose

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »

Interesting note-

One or two more RotW awards during BE play, and I think Sampson is as good as gone to the NBA next year.  Bittersweet for SJU, but I think it's inevitable given the totality of the circumstances (e.g., conference uncertainty, projected weak NBA draft class this year and the other usual motivators).

The biggest factor that isn't mentioned much that ppl overlook is he's really not a freshman.  So he's already a year older.

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »

Interesting note-

jermaine lawrence can slide right into that role with a veteran team of super athletes around him
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:34:15 PM by Gray Chudney »

Poison

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
What position is Sampson in the league?

« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »

That's the problem I see. No 3 point shot and not big enough to bang.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Throwing a name out there
Hakim Warrick

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »

Throwing a name out there
Hakim Warrick

Not a bad comparison at all.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
Butler's President commenting on the BE 7's new conference and rumors surrounding Butler's possible invitation:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8756116/butler-bulldogs-president-catholic-7-rumor-says-school-do-right

Two days after school president James Danko told The Associated Press he would not rule out the possibility of joining a new conference with the seven Catholic schools that are leaving the Big East, he issued a statement calling the rumors a "tribute" to the Bulldogs' success and saying only that that the school would "do what is right."

Butler would be a great fit.

Poison

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

i wasn't suggesting a problem. just that i didn't know.