JaKarr Sampson Signs with 76ers

• 139 replies

Tha Kid

Re: JaKarr Sampson Signs with 76ers
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
If JaKarr makes the team and is sent back to NBDL before season's end, would he automatically receive the $507k league minimum for rookies?

I'd guess that part of the first year 507K is guaranteed and the remainder is not, contingent on his status. (And my guesses nearly got me through public school.) Incentive to sign, incentive to perform, no liability for the 6ers if he doesn't pan out.

Exactly.  Sometimes these deals are "guaranteed" for as little as 25K or 50K --- great no doubt for Jakarr regardless, but I would expect a minimal amount of money guaranteed bc they see potential in him and wanted to scoop him up in case they believe that potential can be realized as a member of the 76ers.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »
Still no word on Jakarr's guarantee, but for example, the Sixers also signed Ronald Roberts, and he was partially guaranteed with the guarantee at $35K.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »
surprised no one has bought up that Jakarr played last night.  played for 16 minutes.

he appeared tentative.  struggled to keep his man in front of him. he needs to get stronger.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2608891/jakarr-sampson

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
Jakarr needs to get stronger? I bet he can do 5 pushups

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »
Still no word on Jakarr's guarantee, but for example, the Sixers also signed Ronald Roberts, and he was partially guaranteed with the guarantee at $35K.

Sampson signed a 3-year deal worth $2,332,826 according to http://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/jakarr-sampson/  No guarantee according to that site. 

Outside of the  locks to make the roster at PF, the other three hopefuls besides Sampson have similar deals but with guaranteed money.  Brandon Davies signed a three-year deal last year for 2.25 million with first year guaranteed at 490k. Jarvis Varnado signed a three year deal for two million  last yearwith 246k guaranteed--75k of that guaranteed for this season. Roberts signed the same deal as Sampson, but is guaranteed 35k this year. Jerami Grant  (SF) signed a three year deal for 2.7 mill with 1.7 guaranteed.

I just don't see any way he makes the roster.  The Sixers owe too much guaranteed money to too many PFs:  Moultrie (1,136,160), Noel (9 mill), Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (4 mill), etc.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »

Sampson signed a 3-year deal worth $2,332,826 according to http://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/jakarr-sampson/  No guarantee according to that site. 

Outside of the  locks to make the roster at PF, the other three hopefuls besides Sampson have similar deals but with guaranteed money.  Brandon Davies signed a three-year deal last year for 2.25 million with first year guaranteed at 490k. Jarvis Varnado signed a three year deal for two million  last yearwith 246k guaranteed--75k of that guaranteed for this season. Roberts signed the same deal as Sampson, but is guaranteed 35k this year. Jerami Grant  (SF) signed a three year deal for 2.7 mill with 1.7 guaranteed.

I just don't see any way he makes the roster.  The Sixers owe too much guaranteed money to too many PFs:  Moultrie (1,136,160), Noel (9 mill), Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (4 mill), etc.

"The 76ers have signed former St. John’s forward JaKarr Sampson to a partially guaranteed contract, an NBA source told the Inquirer’s Keith Pompey [...]

"JaKarr Sampson has signed a three-year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers. The contract does include some salary protection "

"The 76ers have signed former St. John’s forward JaKarr Sampson to a partially guaranteed contract, an NBA source told the Inquirer's Keith Pompey."

"The New York Daily News reports that the deal is a partially-guaranteed, three-year contract."

The bad news is that Marillac is cherry picking data to support his insane theory that Jakarr Sampson is not good at basketball. The good news is Marillac has not yet started referring to himself in the third person.

LoganK

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »

Another site mentioned that the contract only becomes guaranteed if he makes the final roster cut, which might help explain the confusion between whether or not it's guaranteed - but who knows.  I wouldn't be worried about the contract having much bearing on whether or not he makes the team.  The 76ers are so far under the cap they can afford to take a couple of hits by cutting more "guaranteed" contracts.

FWIW, on his ESPN.com player id page it states he has 4 years remaining on his contract.  Seems like no one really knows what the hell contract he signed, lol.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »
He knows the Sixers are going to pick whoever plays the worst. #tanking

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »

"The 76ers have signed former St. John’s forward JaKarr Sampson to a partially guaranteed contract, an NBA source told the Inquirer’s Keith Pompey [...]

"JaKarr Sampson has signed a three-year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers. The contract does include some salary protection "

"The 76ers have signed former St. John’s forward JaKarr Sampson to a partially guaranteed contract, an NBA source told the Inquirer's Keith Pompey."

"The New York Daily News reports that the deal is a partially-guaranteed, three-year contract."

The bad news is that Marillac is cherry picking data to support his insane theory that Jakarr Sampson is not good at basketball. The good news is Marillac has not yet started referring to himself in the third person.

Marillac did not cherry pick data...Marillac relied on the only site that supplied actual #s of the contract.  Sampson will not make the final roster.

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
Sampson is starting in tonight's game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

bk8664

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »
Sampson is starting in tonight's game.

Has anyone watched the game at all to see if his jumper form has improved?
I just got home.   He's 2-3 from the field, and 1-2 from the three point line with 4 rebounds at the 4 minute mark in the 3rd quarter.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
He's playing well. Good for him.

bk8664

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:24 PM »
He's playing well. Good for him.

He finished 3-4 from the field, 1-2 from three, 2 of 3 from thee point line, 9 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 3 turnovers...  26 minutes of play.

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
He actually played SG because MCW, Grant, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, and Alexy Shved were all injured.  The game was played at Syracuse and the coach said that and the fact that it was against the Knicks figured into Sampson getting the start after a good week of practice.

bk8664

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
He actually played SG because MCW, Grant, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, and Alexy Shved were all injured.  The game was played at Syracuse and the coach said that and the fact that it was against the Knicks figured into Sampson getting the start after a good week of practice.

Orlando vs. Philly pre-season game last night:

Sampson:  4-7 from the field; 1-1 from three point line; 9 points;  five rebounds (one offensive); 1 assist, 1 block,   2 turnovers  in 23 minutes of time. 

Is he going to make the team?

Harkless in the same game:
6 for 13 from the field;  0-2 from three; 2-6 from the point line.  14 points; 7 rebounds (2 offensive);  2 assists, 3 steals; 2 blocks; 1 turnover.    30 minutes of time.  Other than the free throw shooting, that's a pretty good line.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »

Sampson:  4-7 from the field; 1-1 from three point line; 9 points;  five rebounds (one offensive); 1 assist, 1 block,   2 turnovers  in 23 minutes of time. 

6 for 13 from the field;  0-2 from three; 2-6 from the point line.  14 points; 7 rebounds (2 offensive);  2 assists, 3 steals; 2 blocks; 1 turnover.    30 minutes of time.  Other than the free throw shooting, that's a pretty good line.

Moe's FT shooting has been abysmal every time I look.
Remember who broke the Slice news

bk8664

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »

Moe's FT shooting has been abysmal every time I look.

He had been 5 for 6 in the prior three pre-season games.  But last night's efforts was disappointing.  He has get that together if he wants to be a starter/real contributor on a team and get a decent contract.