Isaiah Washington - G - St. Rays - NY - MINNESOTA

• 95 replies
Re: Isaiah Washington - G - St. Rays -NY
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 07:12:07 AM »
You missed my point.  The staff has made it a priority to pursue NY kids.  My understanding is that we are not strongly pursuing Washington and/or Alvarado because the chances of them coming to St. John's with who we already have on board are slim.  These kids will want to play right away.  Having three players in the fold for the PG/lead guard position (Simon, Lovett and Ponds), all of whom were ranked higher than either Washington/Alvarado, is a huge deterrent.  If Washington came on board (assuming as schollie were available), he'd have a redshirt junior PG/lead guard (former 5 star) transfer from a high major program, a former 4 star PG as a redshirt soph (Lovett), and a former 4 star lead guard as a true sophomore (Ponds, who I understand will ultimately get some run at the point if he develops as expected).  No PG ranked in Washington's range is going to be as interested in that situation as they are in another program where they might be able to start or play significant minutes off the bat. 

Mussini's presence isn't impacting a guy like Washington's decision.  Simon, Lovett and Ponds most definitely are, coupled with some of the stud PG prospects (like Muhhamed) that we are making a strong push for in 2018.

Mussini isn't the issue.  With Simon, Lovett and Ponds I don't see any top 100-150 PG signing on.  The front court was the bigger need and we locked up a great talent.  We are focusing big time on 2018 guards, hence the full court Muhammed press.

Mussini was a big part of the issue because he was asked to run the offense an he wasn't quick enough to do it. He isn't quick enough to play any position in D1 ball. He'll be fine as a shooter off the bench, when they zone us.

But as it relates to this kid, we want to be known for NYC point guards once again. If this kid is willing to stay in the city in the high school, there seems to be a good chance he'll want to for college as well.

Simon will be a redshirt soph, same as lovett.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
Thanks. Even more of a deterrent for 2017 kids.

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
Good to know we are so stacked coming off a 1 win season that local stars are intimidated to come here now.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Jury is out on whether these kids are as good as their HS rankings.  Doesn't mean having highly-rated kids at the same position with several years of eligibility has no impact on recruits.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
Good to know we are so stacked coming off a 1 win season that local stars are intimidated to come here now.
Are you implying that local stars should forget that there are 3 top 50 underclass PGs on the roster? 

QuanMan

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
We're loaded at PG for the foreseeable future, you can't nab them all as much as I'd like to see Mullin develop 2017 city generals like Washington or Markquis Nowell. I'm more than comfortable with Brown/Simon/Clark adding to this core in 17'-18'. Recruiting wise I shifted my full attention towards Reid and Muhammad once we landed ZB. 2017 is closed barring something unforeseen.
Section 3
Section 116

hnk

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »
I think we can expect three current players will not be here next year >>>>Amar?  Moose? Williams?   That leaves two more openings.

QuanMan

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 01:43:53 PM »
I think we can expect three current players will not be here next year >>>>Amar?  Moose? Williams?   That leaves two more openings.
Let's atleast get to the Red/White scrimmage before we predict 2017 transfers, sheesh. Enjoy the process we have a fun season ahead w the current roster.
Section 3
Section 116

hnk

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
When is the red/white scrimmage?

Pete88

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »

Fail to see your point here.  Considering that the 3 guys mentioned in the post above that might deter Washington from coming here (Simon, Lovett and Ponds) were not part of that 1 win season. 

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »
Are you implying that local stars should forget that there are 3 top 50 underclass PGs on the roster? 

No, but none of them have played a game in college for us yet, some might say that none of them are true PGs, and based on the amount of transfers in college basketball teams change from year to year so there is no reason for a player to be scared of playing time at St. John's.  I mean somehow Nova is able to fill out their roster every year.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
Mussini isn't the issue.  With Simon, Lovett and Ponds I don't see any top 100-150 PG signing on.  The front court was the bigger need and we locked up a great talent.  We are focusing big time on 2018 guards, hence the full court Muhammed press.

Mussini was a big part of the issue because he was asked to run the offense an he wasn't quick enough to do it. He isn't quick enough to play any position in D1 ball. He'll be fine as a shooter off the bench, when they zone us.

But as it relates to this kid, we want to be known for NYC point guards once again. If this kid is willing to stay in the city in the high school, there seems to be a good chance he'll want to for college as well.

You gotta stop. Mussini is definitely a D1 player.  He may not be a high major starting PG, but he's a good enough shooting prospect to play for 300+ D1 programs.  He could wind up falling out of the rotation here, but that doesn't mean he's not a D1 talent.

He's got D1 jumper, and an NAIA everything else.
  In that yearly international high school age game only Mussini and Artest have a connection to SJU

What do you mean?

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »

No, but none of them have played a game in college for us yet, some might say that none of them are true PGs, and based on the amount of transfers in college basketball teams change from year to year so there is no reason for a player to be scared of playing time at St. John's.  I mean somehow Nova is able to fill out their roster every year.

No one would say Lovett is not a PG. 

Seems like you're complaining for sport. We have plenty of PG depth for the first time in decades. I'd take all three of our guys over Washington.

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 07:39:41 PM »
But it's not about filling out a roster.  Lovett has never been described as anything but a PG.  I don't know much about Simon, but from what I've read he is considered more of a PG or at least a "lead guard".  Ponds definitely folks are mixed on but there is some chance he plays PG too.  The reality of recruiting is that a top 100 kid who wants to play the point is going to be less interested in going to a program that has three of those guys at arguably the same position who will have plenty of eligibility left when the recruit steps on campus.

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »

You gotta stop. Mussini is definitely a D1 player.  He may not be a high major starting PG, but he's a good enough shooting prospect to play for 300+ D1 programs.  He could wind up falling out of the rotation here, but that doesn't mean he's not a D1 talent.

Did Max Hooper have much more? Looked like a statue on D and hes in a D league.

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 11:12:29 PM »
He should go to Seton Hall. Would be really good there and can play right away.

Why shouldn't he come here?

To directly answer your question. Immediate playing time.

From St. John's perspective I pass on him in hopes of hitting big in 2018.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 02:39:56 AM »
He should go to Seton Hall. Would be really good there and can play right away.

Why shouldn't he come here?

To directly answer your question. Immediate playing time.

From St. John's perspective I pass on him in hopes of hitting big in 2018.

Thank you. Certainly makes sense.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

Max Hooper shot 45 percent from three, not thirty. He's also 6'6", as opposed to a 150 pound dwarf.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

Right, and he might be fine in the Max Hooper role. But I think that's his ceiling. Maybe a little higher if he can make a damn in-bounds pass.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:58:31 AM by Poison »

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »

Max Hooper shot 45 percent from three, not thirty. He's also 6'6", as opposed to a 150 pound dwarf.

He also shot 0% from 2.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle