Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

Poison

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #780 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
I'm a little hesitant here.   I would've liked an x and o guy and obviously we swung and missed with Pinckney but having a 24 yr old assistant coach? Ga's will be older than him.  Not that mitch Richmond has any more coaching experience but geez. I guess I just would've hoped that after the stellar recruiting hires of slice and matt a that we would've completed the staff with a seasoned vet.

We have an X and O guy. Chris Mullin.

All of these guys knows X's and O's. The question is....can they teach it? That is what separates the better coaches. We will find out.

If a coach isn't a teacher what is he then? A bullshit artist? I've had enough of inept coaches. I'm counting on Mullin answering our prayers. I'm just not expecting the answer to come next season.

« Reply #781 on: July 06, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »
It seems to me the smart marketing strategy for any school aspiring to elite level college basketball is the approach Mullin is now taking.  And it may be the only strategy that will rescue St. John's basketball from mediocrity.  It's no longer about winning nor about your college experience and certainly not about education.  It's about NBA prep.  If he hires Richmond, he is doubling down on that strategy.  I know nothing about Richmond's ability to contribute to the on-court success of the team, but I'm fairly sure the hire will fortify the sales pitch...Come to St. John's; we know how to get you into the league. If he is successful in creating that perception, we'll get a lot of great recruits.  That strategy, albeit a travesty to the whole idea of going to college, has worked well for Kentucky.  It can potentially work just as well on the world's greatest stage.

« Reply #782 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »
It seems to me the smart marketing strategy for any school aspiring to elite level college basketball is the approach Mullin is now taking.  And it may be the only strategy that will rescue St. John's basketball from mediocrity.  It's no longer about winning nor about your college experience and certainly not about education.  It's about NBA prep.  If he hires Richmond, he is doubling down on that strategy.  I know nothing about Richmond's ability to contribute to the on-court success of the team, but I'm fairly sure the hire will fortify the sales pitch...Come to St. John's; we know how to get you into the league. If he is successful in creating that perception, we'll get a lot of great recruits.  That strategy, albeit a travesty to the whole idea of going to college, has worked well for Kentucky.  It can potentially work just as well on the world's greatest stage.
I agree.  I could see it really resonating with recruits with NBA potential who are not one and done types.  Take Yakwe - Givony from Draft Express said he is a consistent corner three away from being in the league.  Mullin and Richmond have to be as good as any on paper to develop that skill at the college level.

ras

« Reply #783 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »
I agree.  I could see it really resonating with recruits with NBA potential who are not one and done types.  Take Yakwe - Givony from Draft Express said he is a consistent corner three away from being in the league.  Mullin and Richmond have to be as good as any on paper to develop that skill at the college level.
Thats one of the problems. We need coaches w different strengths. Mullins great teaching the 3 pt. shot. We dont need another coach w the same strength. I would like to see a big man coach or an XO expert.

desco80

« Reply #784 on: July 06, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
Regardless of whether he would be a good cosch (and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt)  does anyone else find it ridiculous that Mitch Richmond is in the hall of fame?

Hope he's on our staff and all that ... but the basketball hall is like a participation award.    It's equivalent to baseball and football enshrining Gregg Jeffries and Adrian Murrell

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/richmmi01.html

No, I think he is deserving.

His similarity scores are comparable to Derek Harper, Dan Marjele, and Rolando Blackmon ...

« Reply #785 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
Regardless of whether he would be a good cosch (and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt)  does anyone else find it ridiculous that Mitch Richmond is in the hall of fame?

Hope he's on our staff and all that ... but the basketball hall is like a participation award.    It's equivalent to baseball and football enshrining Gregg Jeffries and Adrian Murrell

His similarity scores are comparable to Derek Harper, Dan Marjele, and Rolando Blackmon ...

Well I don't think any of those guys have 10 seasons averaging over 20ppg. Harper and Blackmon were both very good players, but a quick look at their career stats would show you how flawed "similarity scores" are. Neither of them had close to the overall career Richmond did. Are you honestly comparing Richmonds career to Dan Marjele?

Was Richmond ever one of the best players in the league? Probably not. But other factors such as consistently great production and longevity can get you in the hall. 

desco80

« Reply #786 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

Well I don't think any of those guys have 10 seasons averaging over 20ppg. Harper and Blackmon were both very good players, but a quick look at their career stats would show you how flawed "similarity scores" are. Neither of them had close to the overall career Richmond did. Are you honestly comparing Richmonds career to Dan Marjele?

Was Richmond ever one of the best players in the league? Probably not. But other factors such as consistently great production and longevity can get you in the hall. 

I'm not saying he was bad, just that he doesn't fit the "all-time great" criteria that I would use for the Hall of Fame.  I think the basketball hall is watered down compared to the other sports'.

« Reply #787 on: July 06, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Thats one of the problems. We need coaches w different strengths. Mullins great teaching the 3 pt. shot. We dont need another coach w the same strength. I would like to see a big man coach or an XO expert.
Would you rather have a big man coach like Jim Whitesell instead of Richmond?  Two HOFers with our two elite recruiters on paper sounds as good as it is going to get here.

Foad

« Reply #788 on: July 06, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »
I'm not saying he was bad, just that he doesn't fit the "all-time great" criteria that I would use for the Hall of Fame.  I think the basketball hall is watered down compared to the other sports'.

38th all time in scoring, 148 all time in assists, 76 all time in steals, 30th all time in 3 pointers made, 47th all time FT made.  21 ppg career average, 20,000 points.

desco80

« Reply #789 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:16 PM »

38th all time in scoring, 148 all time in assists, 76 all time in steals, 30th all time in 3 pointers made, 47th all time FT made.  21 ppg career average, 20,000 points.

The cumulative stats are there.  I m probably not giving MR enough credit.
But he's also 73rd in minspayed in his career, and only once finished in the top 15 in MVP voting (13th).   If there was only one season when he was regarded as a top 15 player in the league, I have a hard time giving him hall of fame status. 

MCNPA

« Reply #790 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:44 PM »

Welcome back gabelmc..  Long time SJU poster. I agree wholeheartedly.  Fans want to win.  Talent wins.  The talent wants to play pro.  Sell the talent on playing pro, bring the most talent in...  Team is loaded with talent, both the talent is happy and the fans are happy.

I don't think people should be worried if guys like Mullin can coach.  He loves SJU, is s gym rat, NBA all-star, was always known as a "skills guy" beyond all skills guy.  Mark Jackson credited Mullin with creating the work ethic and skills to make him an NBA'er.  Add a great recruiter and former head coach in Slice who has also been AHC under Cal and Jamie Dixon, Abdelmessih, maybe Richmond, St. jean. Etc.. 

We have the coaches.  I don't think anybody should worry because Mullin knows what this school needs.  There should be trust there.  He bleeds SJU red.  He would never take a job he didn't think he could win at.  He's the ultimate winner. 

MCNPA

« Reply #791 on: July 06, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

The cumulative stats are there.  I m probably not giving MR enough credit.
But he's also 73rd in minspayed in his career, and only once finished in the top 15 in MVP voting (13th).   If there was only one season when he was regarded as a top 15 player in the league, I have a hard time giving him hall of fame status. 

Desco, cumulative stats have him in the top 50 or so in the history of the NBA in multiple categories.  To say he doesn't deserve it is silly at this juncture.  Plus he was the cover of NBA live 97'

SJUFAN

« Reply #792 on: July 07, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »

That was Lavin's approach, didn't work. It's not just about the talent, you need to bring in players with the right attitude and work ethic. With all the talent in the world, both Jordan and Obeka cared more about themselves then the team. Their selfish attitudes cost us from competing in our tourney games in back to back years. 

« Reply #793 on: July 07, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

That was Lavin's approach, didn't work. It's not just about the talent, you need to bring in players with the right attitude and work ethic. With all the talent in the world, both Jordan and Obeka cared more about themselves then the team. Their selfish attitudes cost us from competing in our tourney games in back to back years. 

« Reply #794 on: July 07, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
I would expect Mullin would impart to these guys that NBA preparation includes working hard and learning how to play within a team concept.

Poison

« Reply #795 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »

I don't think Obekpa had all the talent in the world. He was a great shot blocker, but the rest of his game was underwhelming.

« Reply #796 on: July 07, 2015, 04:38:41 PM »

I don't think Obekpa had all the talent in the world. He was a great shot blocker, but the rest of his game was underwhelming.

No development and marginal improvement

Poison

« Reply #797 on: July 07, 2015, 04:40:35 PM »

I do think he improved last season. The problem was his attitude and maturity. He acted like a kid.

« Reply #798 on: July 07, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »

I do think he improved last season. The problem was his attitude and maturity. He acted like a kid.

He improved from refusing to enter a game to getting suspended altogether

« Reply #799 on: July 07, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »
Braziller saying no assistant till after July live period. Really not understanding what the hold up is herr.