Jayson Williams Article In the NY post

• 22 replies

Re: Jayson Williams Article In the NY post
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:54:40 AM »
It is such a sad story.

Everybody loved Jason before this tragic accident.

I always loved the way he adopted his sisters kids when she died of aids and how much he loved coach Lou.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:17:36 AM »
Jayson donated a million dollars to the school...more than any other player.  It would be nice if the school repaid him in some way.  He led the NBA one year in offensive rebounds...and was second in overall rebounds.  Maybe he can take Zendon's role.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »
Yeah maybe Chris can bring back for some role - maybe he can teach and explain to Zack Brown about the bad things he did.

He is not really a bad person just does dumb things - maybe helping younger players is what he needs to help turn his life around.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
As odd as it sounds, Jayson is a classic "redneck".  He is smart as a whip and has a heart as good as gold but feels the need to entertain everyone constantly with his personality. His book, "Loose Balls" is the funniest I have ever read and he was the best guy ever on morning radio in NY  but, it's likely he started every one of his downfalls with the statement, "Hey fellows, hold my beer and watch this"  before he caused his own trouble.
Like all of us, he is a flawed human being but he is a great guy at heart and one of the most entertaining people who ever walked the earth.   He can profit from Chris Mullin's experience with life; I hope he gets that opportunity as, under control, he could be one of the greatest influences ever on a young players attitude and life. I wish him well.
BTW, I believe it was $2 million he donated to StJ, the largest single donor gift ever to the University.. That's the kind of guy he is. Generous to everyone except his except to his own reputation. He hurts now; we should respond.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
Beautiful and heart warming comment about Jason.

I wish he can get his demons behind him and come back and help Chris out with helping the big men out and get him back into something useful for his life.

Gumby

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 11:46:39 AM »
I would love to see Jayson helping out Coach M.  We clearly could use a big man coach.

I thought Jayson's junior year, if I remember correctly,  was one of the best showings of a STJ Center during my tenure. He was like a magnet to the ball on the offensive end. And he could finish a play.  I believe he was hurt in his senior year.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 03:23:26 PM »
I would love to see Jayson helping out Coach M.  We clearly could use a big man coach.

I thought Jayson's junior year, if I remember correctly,  was one of the best showings of a STJ Center during my tenure. He was like a magnet to the ball on the offensive end. And he could finish a play.  I believe he was hurt in his senior year.
yeah he was great his junior year. teams were double teaming him down low and he was scoring on them. I remember he started playing without socks or something like that because it was good luck for him or there was some story behind that

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »
I remember how he told the story of his sisters kids that he adopted and Coach would drive them to school and always got lost.

He loved the Coach like his own father.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
He was such a funny dude that I always thought he would make a great late night tv show host or I'm not sure if he followed other sports but a great radio talk show guy too if he followed other sports

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
BTW, Jayson played at StJ with Coach Mullin's younger brother Terrance. and, in one of hundreds of funny stories in "Loose Balls",  was involved in a punching and shoving match on a plane on the was to a game.  A little old lady was seated between the two when Terrance farted silently, but with a olympic medal winning aroma. The lady suspected Jayson of the deed and turned and glared at him. Terrance, taking up the lead, joined in the stare, and added some verbal invective to cement the blame with the big guy.  Jayson came over the top of the lady with a shove and a punch at the, by then,  hysterically laughing Mullin:  Coach had to come back, break the fight up, and force Jayson to sit up with him for the rest of the flight as a penalty.  He might not always have been guilty but he was always the guy who got the blame. 
If you are a Jayson Williams or a StJ fan, find the book. It's very funny.
I am a little embarrassed to admit  It helped me to get my grandchildren to not be afraid of what they called "chapter books" when they were young. The boys became Jayson fans.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:02 PM »
Nothing funnier than a good old punching and shoving match on a plane with an old lady caught in the middle! LMFAO!

Foad

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
Nothing funnier than a good old punching and shoving match on a plane with an old lady caught in the middle! LMFAO!

Not as funny as when he got drunk and killed that guy, that was a hoot.

SJUFAN

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »

Not as funny as when he got drunk and killed that guy, that was a hoot.

Let's not let a tragic moment define a man for the rest of his life. It was an accident. I wonder how things would have turned out for him had he not tried to cover it up.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
Let's not let a tragic moment define a man for the rest of his life.

Exactly, he's just like OJ, he just made one tiny mistake. Although OJ never shot a dog, so there's that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »

Exactly, he's just like OJ, he just made one tiny mistake. Although OJ never shot a dog, so there's that.

That is why I also mentioned it was an accident, which was conveniently left out. I don't recall that being part of OJ's defense strategy. Although I get your point you can't compare him to OJ, OJ was found not guilty, then hood winked by the justice system when he no longer had the funds to pay for a top rated defense team.

In any event it's a shame what happen to Jason's post basketball career. His TV personality was great. He was Charles Barkley minus the controversial remarks.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
In any event it's a shame what happen to Jason's chauffeur

Agree 100 percent.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 11:50:07 PM »

That is why I also mentioned it was an accident, which was conveniently left out. I don't recall that being part of OJ's defense strategy. Although I get your point you can't compare him to OJ, OJ was found not guilty, then hood winked by the justice system when he no longer had the funds to pay for a top rated defense team.

In any event it's a shame what happen to Jason's post basketball career. His TV personality was great. He was Charles Barkley minus the controversial remarks.
It was NOT an accident! People do not go to jail for accidents, or get convicted of crimes. There was criminal culpability involved.

SJUFAN

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 02:32:29 AM »
In any event it's a shame what happen to Jason's chauffeur

Agree 100 percent.

That too.

SJUFAN

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 02:49:50 AM »

It was NOT an accident! People do not go to jail for accidents, or get convicted of crimes. There was criminal culpability involved.

He was convicted of aggravated assault. Not Murder or Manslaughter. Someone died so of course there is culpability. That doesn't mean it wasn't an accident. He was being reckless, there wasn't intent hence the aggravated assault.