Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
Stunt today is why I've stated St. John's has no shot. Just stringing along.

How dare you say this?  Those SJU fans with a hard on for NY kids will revolt.

Haha. His whole recruitment has been clown town (not unlike almost all alpha dog NYC recruits of recent memory; lance, Lawrence, whitehead). Imagine being a buffalo fan today.  That'd b rough.   

« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
What's the harm in staying involved? The staff has cast a wide enough net in this class, and if things go like it sounds like it will (getting Ahmed/German kid, aka two wings...I don't have inside info), then why not? He would simply be the cherry on top of a very good class, but we wouldn't be relying on him. If he does crave this attention, and doesn't care about the team's previous winning, then what better place to get the attention than a team on the rise in NYC?

« Reply #402 on: October 09, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »

As, a few of us have said for awhile....  The centric NYC stuff from some posters is overplayed, and, frankly, tired, IMO.  We're not gonna win on the level most would like to by having a team full of New Yorkers.  Of course, you wanna get the best of the best from the city (ie, Ponds and Alkins), but it's also imperative we recruit nationally and globally. 

Tom Konchalski even said the same.  The Newman guy who does the podcast with Zags also reiterated the same.  My motto is get good players, regardless where they reside.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:58:38 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »
@Iam_RawleAlkins: Missing NY 🏦🗽

Maybe his time away from NY will be a good thing for us.

« Reply #404 on: October 11, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »

Or maybe he is just enjoying playing with us us all.  Remember the Albany tweet?  I think he likes attention.  Maybe he came to SJU the day before he left for Carolina just so the NY area would be making a big deal over him all season.  Or maybe he is very sincere about everything he is saying.

« Reply #405 on: October 12, 2015, 12:27:04 AM »

Or maybe he is just enjoying playing with us us all.  Remember the Albany tweet?  I think he likes attention.  Maybe he came to SJU the day before he left for Carolina just so the NY area would be making a big deal over him all season.  Or maybe he is very sincere about everything he is saying.
Or maybe he misses NY because he misses family, friends, home cooking, good pizza. Have you ever had pizza in NC? Everything doesn't have to relate to SJU or their fan base.

Tha Kid

« Reply #406 on: October 12, 2015, 06:11:06 AM »

The kid is living away from home his last year of HS.  This tweet is not intended to get you excited.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #407 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:26 AM »

As, a few of us have said for awhile....  The centric NYC stuff from some posters is overplayed, and, frankly, tired, IMO.  We're not gonna win on the level most would like to by having a team full of New Yorkers.  Of course, you wanna get the best of the best from the city (ie, Ponds and Alkins), but it's also imperative we recruit nationally and globally. 

Tom Konchalski even said the same.  The Newman guy who does the podcast with Zags also reiterated the same.  My motto is get good players, regardless where they reside.

The best teams assembled at St John's were dominated by locals

Tha Kid

« Reply #408 on: October 12, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »

True, and also had key non-NY performers (Bootsy and Lavor; Wennington and Rowan, etc.).  A good balance is necessary, would like at least half the team to be from NY/NJ/CT ideally but in the end as long as they are the right guys thats all that matters.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #409 on: October 12, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »

my personal opinion from the very beginning is that this kid has been trolling us.  From that first tweet where he said "finally got the sju offer" i've pegged him as someone who's seeking attention. 

obviously the staff know's what they're doing, so i'll trust they're judgement.  but this kid seems to be a high maintenance type person.

« Reply #410 on: October 12, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »

What does that has to do with the price of tea in China?  That stuff holds no weight today.  We're not gonna win on the level many fans would like by loading up on local players.  A few of us have said it for awhile, and Konchalski and Newman said it a week ago.

I like how this staff, like the one before them, ate doing it....  Recruiting nationally and globally.   

« Reply #411 on: October 12, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »

True, and also had key non-NY performers (Bootsy and Lavor; Wennington and Rowan, etc.).  A good balance is necessary, would like at least half the team to be from NY/NJ/CT ideally but in the end as long as they are the right guys thats all that matters.

Wennington, although a Canadian, attended LuHi so you could stretch him as a local.  If he was still up north or at a school outside the NY Metro area do you think we would have recruited him?

Poison

« Reply #412 on: October 12, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
We've always wanted NY guys, but what we've seen over the last 20 years, (for the most part) is that these kids tease us, drag it out and never actually had any intention of coming here. Also, now that we're an honest program, it's hard to compete in a game where there are Louisvilles and Syracuses doing whatever they please - and with little to no penalty.

If it comes down to a 3 star player who will sit and learn for two years, and one kid is from NYC, and the other is from Minnesota, we should make it a point to go after the local first, but even with a 3 star kid, an offer is made, interest shown, and then make up your damn mind, because the offer isn't open forever.

ras

« Reply #413 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
Between Mullin, Slice and Matt. They are smart enough to know the recruiting game. At this point Alkins is a luxury, not a necessity. All our eggs are not thrown into the Alkins basket.

Poison

« Reply #414 on: October 12, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »
Between Mullin, Slice and Matt. They are smart enough to know the recruiting game. At this point Alkins is a luxury, not a necessity. All our eggs are not thrown into the Alkins basket.

It comes down to what kind of program we're building here. Mullin and his staff landed a top notch guard in Ponds, but Alkins is a program changing player. You put him in the backcourt with Ponds, Mussini and Ellison and then we probably have something that can compete with top ranked programs. Ponds can't be expected to come right in and be Erick Barkley from day 1. (And even Barkley had a lot of help)

« Reply #415 on: October 12, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »

What does that has to do with the price of tea in China?  That stuff holds no weight today.  We're not gonna win on the level many fans would like by loading up on local players.  A few of us have said it for awhile, and Konchalski and Newman said it a week ago.

I like how this staff, like the one before them, ate doing it....  Recruiting nationally and globally.   

Holds no weight today? We've been getting our balls beat in with kids from Texas, Michigan, Philly etc. Most of these kids could care less about representing St. John's or NYC. The successful teams at SJU have had great local talent. Time to bring that back. Ponds is a great start

« Reply #416 on: October 12, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »

Holds no weight today? We've been getting our balls beat in with kids from Texas, Michigan, Philly etc. Most of these kids could care less about representing St. John's or NYC. The successful teams at SJU have had great local talent. Time to bring that back. Ponds is a great start

No!  It doesn't hold any weight. 

Your comment about us getting whipped with kids from out of state, and they couldn't care about representing St. John's doesnt even deserves a response, as it's just an asinine comment.  Complete fallacy.

So, I guess Konchalski is off in his assessment, too?  A guy who watches a ton of local hoop games.

Ponds is certainly a good start, but we're gonna have to bring in more than just local talent, in order to CONSISTENTLY compete on a national level.  Grab the best the city has to offer (ie, Ponds, Alkins types), and grab the kids on the national and globally.

Poison

« Reply #417 on: October 12, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »
It's never been just about where a kid is from. Lavor wasn't from NYC, but have we had a player from NYC or anywhere for that matter, since he's left that played a tougher brand of basketball? We do need to go hard after the Rawlie Alkins types, but we can't kiss his butt for 18 months, while ignoring everyone else out there if he's not sincerely interested in STJ.

What was Norm left with after going all in for Sylvan and Lance? What did Lavin have after Briscoe? You go hard after these kids, but our staff can't go all in for any one player. That's the lesson no STJ staff seems to understand, except, maybe this one. This staff can recruit Akins hard, because if they don't get him, its not like there's nothing left when he signs with Kentucky or North Carolina.

« Reply #418 on: October 12, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »

No!  It doesn't hold any weight. 

Your comment about us getting whipped with kids from out of state, and they couldn't care about representing St. John's doesnt even deserves a response, as it's just an asinine comment.  Complete fallacy.

So, I guess Konchalski is off in his assessment, too?  A guy who watches a ton of local hoop games.

Ponds is certainly a good start, but we're gonna have to bring in more than just local talent, in order to CONSISTENTLY compete on a national level.  Grab the best the city has to offer (ie, Ponds, Alkins types), and grab the kids on the national and globally.

Are you comparing yourself to Konchalski?

I never said "just go after local talent". I said the best teams we've had were full of local talent. Is that not true?

Like I said, Ponds is a great start, now let's gets some more and surround them with other talent.

« Reply #419 on: October 12, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the conversation but do people actually believe there is any difference from a talent standpoint from a top 10 kid from New York and a top ten kid from New Mexico.  Like I get the pipeline effect and making your claim to new York schools but people can't actually believe that all things being equal a new York kid has to be better than a kid of the same talent level from elsewhere. I mean that doesn't even make sense.