Game 14: #12 Butler, NYE Queens 730P/FS1

• 250 replies

QuanMan

Game 14: #12 Butler, NYE Queens 730P/FS1
« on: December 24, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »
Easily one of the most pivotal games of the past ten years. Protect home court and (3) Top 25 wins are on the resume. Butler is last in the conference in steals and rebounds, they play at a slow pace and rarely turn the ball over. They can shoot it and are well coached. Let's start up the discussion, win this and we are sitting very pretty for the time being.
Section 3
Section 116

cjfish

Re: Game 14: #12 Butler, NYE Queens 730P/FS1
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
Easily one of the most pivotal games of the past ten years. Protect home court and (3) Top 25 wins are on the resume. Butler is last in the conference in steals and rebounds, they play at a slow pace and rarely turn the ball over. They can shoot it and are well coached. Let's start up the discussion, win this and we are sitting very pretty for the time being.

They will not be allowed to play slow as we take them out of their comfort zone.

Our pressure will lead to tight game with winning a strong possibility.

I’ve been extremely impressed by how the team hustles to get the ball in and over the line after made baskets. Wreaks havoc on the opposition

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »

We can make an early statement with a win here. Defending home court is also important. Should be fun.

cjfish

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »
They may have rarely turned the ball over until now but our quick hands and pressure will change that.  Butler has to attack the pressure.  If they pull it out and slow it down it will benefit us as our defense has been great.  See shot clock problems for them.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
I think it comes down to their offense against our defense. I think we can win, as we all should.

Trying to be cautious with my optimism, but it’s telling that after losing Heron the team needed someone to step up and that someone was everyone. Every single player has stepped up since Heron’s injury.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »

They were picked to finish 8th in the league. Clearly it’s a rebuilding year for them according to the logic of one of our most prolific posters.

SJUFAN

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »
They were picked to finish 8th in the league. Clearly it’s a rebuilding year for them according to the logic of one of our most prolific posters.

It’s more to it than that obviously. New coaches, new systems, no pg on the roster, etc.

cjfish

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »
It’s more to it than that obviously. New coaches, new systems, no pg on the roster, etc.

The carmine nickname is stupid and we all should not encourage him by discussing it further. Let’s talk hoops and not engage in ridiculous arguments. Anyone with any hoop knowledge can see the team is playing much better. JYD (junk yard dog) would be more appropriate.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
Looking forward to this one.  It will be a tough game.  I think expecting a win is getting ahead of ourselves

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 01:15:51 PM »
I think we'll be about 5 point dogs in this one.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
I think we'll be about 5 point dogs in this one.
Seems high. That means we would be 8/9 at butler?

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 02:46:48 PM »
Seems high. That means we would be 8/9 at butler?

Closer to 10 but yeah

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
Closer to 10 but yeah
You have been right. But that seems really high.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 03:42:37 PM »
The carmine nickname is stupid and we all should not encourage him by discussing it further. 
As much as I would like to take credit for it, alas I can't. It's Doc's creation. All I did is alter it slightly from "CTC" to "CFC".

Michael wrote this on the closed thread; "Coach 20/52 was never disrespected like Coach Anderson." He must have been asleep the last 4 years and 10,000 posts.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
As much as I would like to take credit for it, alas I can't. It's Doc's creation. All I did is alter it slightly from "CTC" to "CFC".

Michael wrote this on the closed thread; "Coach 20/52 was never disrespected like Coach Anderson." He must have been asleep the last 4 years and 10,000 posts.
What are you taking credit for? Sorry you and your ilk are so butt hurt. Keep this crusade up. I may the only one but I find it hilarious. You guys have been on this board since it’s existence. We finally have a great coach who seems to be doing everything right. We have a real AD who is really trying. And you Guys take shots at him and the program every chance you get. Keep counting empty seats. Keep predicting losses. Keep everything up in general. I love discussing coach lazy ass 20-59. That shit is never boring.

PS-2 weeks ago- the New Year’s Eve game barely sold 2500 tickets. That’s not true any more

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »
What are you taking credit for? Sorry you and your ilk are so butt hurt. Keep this crusade up. I may the only one but I find it hilarious. You guys have been on this board since it’s existence. We finally have a great coach who seems to be doing everything right. We have a real AD who is really trying. And you Guys take shots at him and the program every chance you get. Keep counting empty seats. Keep predicting losses. Keep everything up in general. I love discussing coach lazy ass 20-59. That shit is never boring.

PS-2 weeks ago- the New Year’s Eve game barely sold 2500 tickets. That’s not true any more
Let's squash the false narrative you believe once and for all that CFC is your coach and Coach Mullin is my coach. 

CFC is my coach. Chris Mullin was my coach. Steve Lavin was my coach. Norm Roberts was my coach. Mike Jarvis was my coach. Fran Frischilla was my coach. Brian Mahoney was my coach and Lou Carnesecca was my coach.

In fact, the Razorback is more my coach than he's your coach because a true Johnny fan would never have a disparaging word to say about the legend. Period!

Here's your quote:
"And you Guys take shots at him and the program every chance you get."  I don't know who these "you Guys" are you're lumping me in with but I've never taken a single shot at him since the day he was hired. Calling him the very benign, innocent "CFC" is no shot. In fact, I've been nothing short of complimentary towards him.  You just having been paying attention I guess.

disclaimer: I have in fact taken shots at the program from time to time.  How could you not? For
We are...St. Johns.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »
Let's squash the false narrative you believe once and for all that CFC is your coach and Coach Mullin is my coach. 

CFC is my coach. Chris Mullin was my coach. Steve Lavin was my coach. Norm Roberts was my coach. Mike Jarvis was my coach. Fran Frischilla was my coach. Brian Mahoney was my coach and Lou Carnesecca was my coach.

In fact, the Razorback is more my coach than he's your coach because a true Johnny fan would never have a disparaging word to say about the legend. Period!

Here's your quote:
"And you Guys take shots at him and the program every chance you get."  I don't know who these "you Guys" are you're lumping me in with but I've never taken a single shot at him since the day he was hired. Calling him the very benign, innocent "CFC" is no shot. In fact, I've been nothing short of complimentary towards him.  You just having been paying attention I guess.

disclaimer: I have in fact taken shots at the program from time to time.  How could you not? For
We are...St. Johns.

All coaches sometimes deserve the criticism that they get. If they do something that i feel warrants criticism, I will give it to them regardless of who they may be. Once Mullin became the coach I looked past his accomplishments as a player and was forced to judge him through a different lens, the actual success of the team and him as a coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 07:52:18 PM »

Here's your quote:

We are...St. Johns.
So you are not butt hurt? And happy that we FINALLY have a real coach? I assume the curse is over and you are confident that we are on the right track to to win games and have success?

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 02:12:06 AM »
I was totally wrong about the Arizona game for Mike but I have a feeling the feel good is going to come to an end..Butler trounced Mike two years ago in the NCAA tourney which pretty much led to his firing at Arkansas. Will he make changes this time around? We’ll see!!

SJUFAN

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 03:17:09 AM »
My concern would be the advanced scouting for league play. If we don’t turn the other team over we may struggle to score in the half court. Time for Heron to play up to his pre-season billing. If we can get consistent play out of Heron and LJ, we may surprise this year.