NJIT loses 35th straight

• 8 replies

Marillac

NJIT loses 35th straight
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »
I don't understand streaks like this.  You know you suck.  You lost every game last year.  Why not schedule a D-2 team to break this streak.  Why not load your schedule with shitballs like Prarie View A n M. 

Re: NJIT loses 35th straight
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
I graduated from Rutgers-Newark, right across the street from NJIT When I was there, our school set the all-time record for consecutive losses at I believe 47. The record was later broken by Rutgers-Camden, thus keeping it in the Rutgers family.
Our team had seven players (I was not one of them). As I recall, three of them were little guys from the Orient who were mainly pursuing an education. A group of Rutgers students who hung out in the pub used to get drunk, then go over to the gym and play basketball against the varsity - and demolish them. It is not that easy to schedule patsies.

Some 25 years later: I'm pretty sure all the guys on the Rutgers-Newark basketball team got their degrees. And it wouldn't surprise if the guys that used to beat them in the gym are still hanging out at the pub.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »
I graduated from Rutgers-Newark, right across the street from NJIT When I was there, our school set the all-time record for consecutive losses at I believe 47. The record was later broken by Rutgers-Camden, thus keeping it in the Rutgers family.
Our team had seven players (I was not one of them). As I recall, three of them were little guys from the Orient who were mainly pursuing an education. A group of Rutgers students who hung out in the pub used to get drunk, then go over to the gym and play basketball against the varsity - and demolish them. It is not that easy to schedule patsies.

Some 25 years later: I'm pretty sure all the guys on the Rutgers-Newark basketball team got their degrees. And it wouldn't surprise if the guys that used to beat them in the gym are still hanging out at the pub.

So New Jersey has a long history of losing.

He should try to schedule the MEAC, SWAC, and remaining independents to try to end the drought, but those coaches might be equally concerned about being the one who lost first to NJIT.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
They'll get a win or two - http://www.njithighlanders.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball& look at that schedule.  They're playing other transitional D-1 teams like Houston Baptist and Utah Valley State, who I think are both in their soon-to-be "Great West" conference.  Teams like Penn State and St. John's get them at least on local radio, get their name out there  Playing Houston Baptist is like two mid-level D-II teams clashing - no one cares, and it's not even in the paper.

I still don't understand how no-name former independents are going to afford traveling from Utah to New Jersey for conference games in basketball, let alone in the other sports.  Makes no sense.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »
I don't understand streaks like this.  You know you suck.  You lost every game last year.  Why not schedule a D-2 team to break this streak.  Why not load your schedule with shitballs like Prarie View A n M. 

Scheduling D2 teams would hurt their RPI.   :D

sjd8886

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
some schools just arent meant to go D-1

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »
some schools just arent meant to go D-1
Very true.  A little slow economy may just shake some of those schools off the D-1 boat.  It costs to compete at this level!

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
Being D1 in sports is overrated. NJIT was and is very good at what they are without that crap. It's sad that they allowed themselves to be seduced into it.

It is nauseating to see some of these schools trying to be "big time" in sports, including many in BCS conferences.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:39:41 PM »
But I suppose being D1 means that your loss counts for other teams' records, and since NJIT is an auto-win, bigger schools pay to bring them on campus.  That has to help the revenue in their athletic department more than being a D III school.