Welcome to the Jungle....(New & Old Members introduce yourselves)

• 170 replies
Re: Welcome to the Jungle....(New & Old Members introduce yourselves)
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
Hey I'm Jonathan. I'm a Queens native. Graduated Manhattan College in 2013. I am a big Jaspers fan. I am currently a grad student in history MA program at St. John's. Grew up a Hofstra and St. John's fan, now my alliances lie with Manhattan and St. John's. I started to really follow the SJU program this year. Saw my first game live against Marquette at the Garden. Sir Dom was easily my favorite SJU player, and one of the three players I most enjoyed seeing live as an MC and SJU fan. I'm looking forward to learning more about the program, and partaking in the elegant dance of rooting for two local teams. Trust me this week has been quite interesting to me as a dual fan lol

Welcome Jonathan from a fellow Jaspers grad & SJ's die hard. I go back to the Tim Cain and your new esteemed coach's playing days. I hope you know who they are as their names hang in their respective rafters.

Enjoy grad school and this board. You'll learn a lot and enjoy yourself in the process.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:54:30 AM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2015, 05:57:03 PM »
Hi All-

My name is Bob & I live out in Seattle ( since 1981). Graduated from Port Jefferson ( 1972) & attended St. John's CBA (1977). I played football
under Bob Ricca from 1972-1976.
 My first St John's game ( Alumni Hall) was St. John's vs. Tennessee. Tennessee had a couple of local NY kids- Bernard King & Ernie Grunfeld &
was ranked no. 4 in the country. St' John's upset them. Close game. Bernard King it seemed was able to jump 1 ft. higher than anybody else.
Have been a fan ever since. 

« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2015, 09:48:30 PM »
Hi All-

My name is Bob & I live out in Seattle ( since 1981). Graduated from Port Jefferson ( 1972) & attended St. John's CBA (1977). I played football
 My first St John's game ( Alumni Hall) was St. John's vs. Tennessee. Tennessee had a couple of local NY kids- Bernard King & Ernie Grunfeld &
was ranked no. 4 in the country. St' John's upset them. Close game. Bernard King it seemed was able to jump 1 ft. higher than anybody else.
Welcome to the board Bob.  I hope to get to know your thoughts on the board. This way, it'll be more fun when we come out to Seattle Century Link Field for the Final Four in 2018 (Provided the idiots in the 2A start having the FF in some better cities than Indianapolis, Arlington & Houston, and St. Louis.  Slew of gun crazed, biased bigots in all these towns...lol

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »
Hi All-

Welcome to the board Bob.  I hope to get to know your thoughts on the board. This way, it'll be more fun when we come out to Seattle Century Link Field for the Final Four in 2018 (Provided the idiots in the 2A start having the FF in some better cities than Indianapolis, Arlington & Houston, and St. Louis.  Slew of gun crazed, biased bigots in all these towns...lol

Stereotype much?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2015, 11:47:11 PM »
Hi All-

Remember that game, it was a great one. It wasn't so much that King jumped high it was what was written in that days papers that  his jump shot is in the basket before the defender can react. I remember doubting that and than seeing him shoot baseline jumpers in John Farmers face and the ball was indeed in the basket before the defender could react.

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »
Celtics-

I do remember that when SJU played Tenn. that Tenn. was ranked no. 4 in the country. Unlike today, most games were played at Alumni Hall.
I think it's been re-named after Jack Kaiser the A.D. at the time. Or maybe the baseball stadium was named after Jack Kaiser. Not sure. Anyway,
in the early 1970's ( 1972-1976) the stars were Frank Alagia, Glen Williams & Beaver Smith. A year or so behind me was a kid named Kevin Cluess.

I was a security guard at Alumni Hall- after football season & met Kevin. I think he graduated in 1975. He was the second leading scorer on the team.
I know his brother Tim is the coach at Iona. Kevin had 3 siblings ( Tim, a sister & younger brother). Kevin & a younger brother had a genetic dis-order &
both he & the younger brother died in their 20's from a rare form of cancer. Kevin had to be the nicest people that I met at St. John's. We'd always have
the time to talk & chat about sports or academics. He'd be one of the 4-5 basketball players after their practice on a Saturday come down to watch us play football- including Louie.

I played squash a few times a week with Brian Mahoney & John Kresse. Kresse has the basketball facility named after him at the College of Charleston. Brian & John were 2 of the nicest people I ran into during my security guard duties. Great guys & Brian & John  got along very well.

I'm in the financial services industry & we have facilities in Purchase NY. My wife & I stayed at the Ritz Carlton back in 2010. We're standing outside & Chris Mullin walks out. I spent about 10 minutes chatting with him. Very intense in a good way. I couldn't be happier with SJU's choice of a coach. I think people underestimate him & I think he's going to do a great job putting NY kids on the roster and surprise some people by recruiting nationally.

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »
Sup Guys,

First name Kelvin, but mostly everyone knows/refers to me as Forty. Attended St. John's from 2006-09 (Not going to get into full detail into what I really see the University as. Different story..), but I have been a St. John's fan since my early youth.

My first recollection of St. John's is sitting down on a Saturday afternoon with my father to watch a game when I was around 8-9. Being Dominican and growing up in a Dominican household, basketball is not the most popular sport to view or grow up playing, but there was one player my dad wanted to see, even though he knew nothing about College Basketball:

Felipe Lopez.

From there on, my fandom and love for St. John's began and I never looked back (I even remember losing to Detroit in the First Round in the tournament back in 98.)

Fun Fact: LaSalle Academy/St. John's University...me and Metta might as well be brothers.

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
Hi All-

Stereotype much?
Never

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »
Hey Johnny Fans,

SJU grad here - Class of '97... 

Remember seeing a few games on TV during high school at tail end of Lou C. era and I was hooked following them when on TV or listening on AM radio.

job relocation near Charlotte,NC a few years ago but still love my team.

Great forum....been lurking a while....and glad to be here

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 08:05:49 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
Hi,
I'm Bill. "60 grad college of pharmacy. Redmen follower since 1944. Love this school and the basketball team. Looking forward for a resurrection to its former glory.    LET'S GO REDMEN

« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm an independent analyst keeping my pulse on the goings on in the hoops world. 

« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2016, 07:44:32 PM »
Hey guys just signed up here, still in my HS years but I have been a SJU fan since I was born because of my family's connection to the university.  Don't worry I am at least 16 years old (as i was required to be when signing up here).  I love St. John's and will stay loyal to them no matter where I go for school next year.  Not afraid to voice my opinion about the program as well.  I really think we can be a top 10 team with years to come with the way we are gaining attention from top players left and right.  GREAT TIME TO BE A JOHNNY! Thanks!

derk

« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
Hey guys just signed up here, still in my HS years but I have been a SJU fan since I was born because of my family's connection to the university.  Don't worry I am at least 16 years old (as i was required to be when signing up here).  I love St. John's and will stay loyal to them no matter where I go for school next year.  Not afraid to voice my opinion about the program as well.  I really think we can be a top 10 team with years to come with the way we are gaining attention from top players left and right.  GREAT TIME TO BE A JOHNNY! Thanks!

Welcome aboard. Great to have you. Now can you get a dozen or so of your best friends to join you.

Booksnball

• "Success Comes To Those Who Prepare for It through
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2016, 10:40:17 PM »
BACK IN THE JUNGLE!
 Had the pleasure of seeing St. John's former players/coahes at last Friday's (May 6) "Basketball Old Timers of America" Hall of Fame induction dinner at Sirroco's in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn.. Tyrek Turner was there to support St. John's great Frank Alegia out of St. Agnes H.S. (Garden City L.I.)   Coach Carnesecca was there, long with former assistants, Carmine Calzinetti & Asst./Head Coach, Brian Mahoney & current Associate Head Coach Barry "Slice" Rhorresen. Super fan, Sam Albano was also in the great crowd of who's who of the NYC basketball  community.

Other notable inductees were former CHSAA coach John Carey (All Hallows) who saw two of his former players make it to the NBA (Olden Polyinice & Shawnell Scott). Along with Queen's native & retired  NBA official Lee Jones. Another high light of the night was the induction of ALL five Rafferty brothers who played H.S. basketball at Holy Cross and college ball at Fordham & St. Francis College.  This annual event is always a special night & you should try to make it to the event at least once. (Usually held on the first Friday night in May).  Contact the CHSAA Brooklyn office & ask for Ray Nash for details or St. Francis College in Brooklyn (Ask for Dennis McDermot)
RK

Poison

« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2016, 01:23:21 AM »
BACK IN THE JUNGLE!
 Had the pleasure of seeing St. John's former players/coahes at last Friday's (May 6) "Basketball Old Timers of America" Hall of Fame induction dinner at Sirroco's in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn.. Tyrek Turner was there to support St. John's great Frank Alegia out of St. Agnes H.S. (Garden City L.I.)   Coach Carnesecca was there, long with former assistants, Carmine Calzinetti & Asst./Head Coach, Brian Mahoney & current Associate Head Coach Barry "Slice" Rhorresen. Super fan, Sam Albano was also in the great crowd of who's who of the NYC basketball  community.

Other notable inductees were former CHSAA coach John Carey (All Hallows) who saw two of his former players make it to the NBA (Olden Polyinice & Shawnell Scott). Along with Queen's native & retired  NBA official Lee Jones. Another high light of the night was the induction of ALL five Rafferty brothers who played H.S. basketball at Holy Cross and college ball at Fordham & St. Francis College.  This annual event is always a special night & you should try to make it to the event at least once. (Usually held on the first Friday night in May).  Contact the CHSAA Brooklyn office & ask for Ray Nash for details or St. Francis College in Brooklyn (Ask for Dennis McDermot)

Tyrek?

pmg911

« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »
BACK IN THE JUNGLE!

Was bummed I couldn't make it this year - ALWAYS A GREAT EVENT...

« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
BACK IN THE JUNGLE!

Tyrek?
That's how he played. Ty Wreck.

Poison

« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
BACK IN THE JUNGLE!

Tyrek?
That's how he played. Ty Wreck.

Not nice. He wasn't ready for the BE as a freshman. Neither was his coach.

« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
Hey everyone.  Name is Dan.  Went to St. John's for two years, 91-93 ( graduated from Stony Brook in 96 ), but have always been a huge Redmen fan, starting from the mid 80's.  I miss the heyday of the Big East, when the Johnnies were relevant, with year after year NCAA tournament appearances.  I try to go to 5-10 games a season.  Here's to hoping Mullin can keep recruiting well, and get the team back on the radar in the near future.  Let's go Johnnies!

« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Hey everyone. Name is Paul .I'm pretty new to the forum. Ive been reading everyday now for about a week and half now. Really happy to know there are people out there as passionate about SJU basketball as I am. Ive been a fan of the Red Storm since the Felipe Lopez/Chudney Gray days. I will be graduating from St. John's in a few years with a master's in Sports Management.

I hope to provide the forum with a little basketball insight, nothing more.

Also, I picked the Freddy Mercury avatar in hopes one day soon we can play "We are the champions"  while hoisting a Big East Championship trophy at MSG.

GO JOHNNIES