Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH

• 142 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:41:33 AM »
http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094125

A player from the City Rocks who is even more under the radar than Katenda is Daouda Soumaoro '11 of Our Savior New American (NY). The big man came over to the United States from West Africa in December and has only been playing basketball for six years.

Soumaoro lists a scholarship offer from Colorado to go along with recruiting interest from Washington and St. John's. He does not have a favorite of the three.

Checking in at 6'9, Soumaoro has great length and works hard in the paint. He is a superb rebounder, both offensively and defensively. Soumaoro is an effective low post scorer, both off the glass and off the dish from a teammate. He does need to work on his posts moves though. Possessing solid athleticism and long arms, Soumaoro can also block shots in the paint. While he is by no means a finished product and is still pretty raw, Soumaoro has a high ceiling and tremendous upside.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=103429
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:52:37 PM by kjd01067 »

gonzalo

Re: Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-1028/daouda-soumaoro-intriguing-2011-big-man/

Our Savior New American has been highly successful in the past with foreign big men, highlighted by Juan Palacios.

The next big-time post player from the small school on Long Island looks to be Daouda Soumaoro.

Soumaoro is a 6-foot-10 center from Mali who gets noticed immediately because of his size and ability to rebound and block shots. When we saw him on the AAU circuit with the Albany City Rocks, he impressed us with his non-stop motor and aggressive style of play, at both ends of the court. Soumaoro runs the floor well and can finish in the lane with dunks and short jumpers.

Right now, OSNA assistant coach Eric Jacklitsch said Soumaoro is hearing from St. John’s, Washington, Colorado, Utah and Fairfield.

“He’s signing late,” Jacklitsch said. “Taking the [SAT] test next weekend.”

Because he has not taken the SAT yet, Soumaoro has not been allowed to go on any official visits. However, St. John’s did invite him to its Midnight Madness a couple of weeks ago.

Although his recruitment has a long way to go, Soumaoro will certainly make a difference at whichever school he chooses.

“Daouda has a chance to be a very good player and I think he can make the impact at the ‘right’ high-major school,” Jacklitsch said.

Come April, we will find out exactly which school is the “right” one for Soumaoro.

kjd01067

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103429/daouda-soumaoro

Strengths:
Soumaoro is a well built and versatile big man with good potential. He has a long and sturdy build, already supporting a cut physique with the room on his frame for expanding mass. He runs the court well, is relatively agile for a player his size, and has a quick second bounce. He is very active on both ends of the floor, rebounds in traffic, and contests/blocks shots inside the paint. He has a soft touch facing the basket, consistent range to 15 feet, and is even capable of knocking down the occasional three-pointer.

Weaknesses:
Soumaoro's high motor and active game is important because it hides the fact that he isn't quite as athletic as he looks. While he has some developing dexterity around the rim, he isn't always a consistent finisher because he is rarely able to play above the rim in traffic. While he has a good shooting touch he tends to short arm his release and needs to learn to finish the shot. He appears more comfortable facing the basket than with his back to it and would do well to develop some type of low post scoring presence.

Bottom Line:
Soumaoro's size and strength gives him the versatility to play either interior position. He is still fairly raw offensively and not quite as athletic as he looks but his high motor is a great asset while his long term potential may be as a step-out post down the road.

http://hsnewyork.scout.com/a.z?s=403&p=8&c=1&nid=5154026

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »
http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/19519415129214976

Daouda Soumaoro '11, a 6'9 center from Our Savior New American (NY), is currently looking at Colorado, St. John's, Washington & Fairfield.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
http://twitter.com/#!/jeffborzello/status/62619899142488064

Daouda Soumaoro, a 6-foot-9 Mali native who plays at OSNA (N.Y.), said he will visit St. John's and Texas Tech, and then make his decision.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Daouda Soumaoro - PF - OSNA (N.Y.) - Centereach, NY
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
He is supposed to visit this week in addition to visiting Texas Tech. He's big but not exactly a high major talent. I was under the impression he was supposed to prep but Jeff Borzello reports that he's going to make a decision after the visits.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
This visit is perplexing.  Soumaoro in lieu of God's Gift or in addition to?  I'd guess in lieu of but who knows?

Poison

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
If we sign this guy and GG, we'd have 3 big men for next season not counting Polee, because he isn't big.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »
I really can't see him coming to St. John's. Don't think he is good enough. Probably puts some pressure on God's Gift to come because no doubt if Soumaoro was offered by St. John's it would be the best offer he could get.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:46 AM »
I really can't see him coming to St. John's. Don't think he is good enough. Probably puts some pressure on God's Gift to come because no doubt if Soumaoro was offered by St. John's it would be the best offer he could get.

FWIW, John Miciotta thinks that Soumaoro is quite good and can certainly be pretty good at this level.  I can't access his scouting report from Redmen.com, but JPM is an astute an evaluator of local talent as there is.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »

FWIW, John Miciotta thinks that Soumaoro is quite good and can certainly be pretty good at this level.  I can't access his scouting report from Redmen.com, but JPM is an astute an evaluator of local talent as there is.

I always value what John has to say but personally I feel he's more suited to play in a conference like the MAAC. I think he has upside but he'd never reach it playing in the Big East.

Also John posts here too.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
Maybe we're not done...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/04/27/gods-gift-to-announce-thursday/#more-51463

Meantime, 6-9 forward Daouda Soumaoro of Our Savior New American said he may still visit St. John’s Thursday.

“I might go there maybe,” he said before a workout Wednesday.

A native of the African nation of Mali, Soumaoro is a teammate of 2012 St. John’s commit Jevon Thomas.

He is considered a talented sleeper by some Big East coaches.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
Maybe we're not done...

Meantime, 6-9 forward Daouda Soumaoro of Our Savior New American said he may still visit St. John’s Thursday.

A native of the African nation of Mali, Soumaoro is a teammate of 2012 St. John’s commit Jevon Thomas.

Maybe the visit was contingent on what GG decided?  At least I hope it is because I don't want this kid.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
Maybe we're not done...

He sees the writing on the wall.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
Alex Kline reporting that he was on campus today visiting unofficially.

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
I really think he's going to prep

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »

Which means he doesn't have an offer.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »

Technically an offer does not have to be included with an official or unofficial visit.  Obviously official visits tend to be given to only serious recruits thus they usually have a real offer with it.  But it is not required.  And he is located so close to SJU that it is a waste to burn an official on him even if you were serious with an offer.

But you are correct anyway, he has not been officially offered and I don't believe he will get one at this point.

JC

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
I don't know much about the kid but not sure what the logic would be in locking him up when that would basically use up all the scholarships, especially when we are in the mix for a top 25 guy for 2012 in Gathers.  I know that everyone will say that things happen and ships open up but why even take the chance that you could lose out on Gathers for a fringe BE player. 

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

Technically an offer does not have to be included with an official or unofficial visit.  Obviously official visits tend to be given to only serious recruits thus they usually have a real offer with it.  But it is not required.  And he is located so close to SJU that it is a waste to burn an official on him even if you were serious with an offer.

But you are correct anyway, he has not been officially offered and I don't believe he will get one at this point.

STJ has never, prior to this this season, had a kid on campus for an official visit without an offer on the table.
I'll assume Lavin has continued that trend.
Next year will be interesting as they will have only one to give.
Fire Mullin.