Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #760 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
i think realfan is right. 

it's not fair to the kids to overhype them then pour on the hate if they miss a free throw or brick threes for a few games.

the reality is there are tens of millions of kids playing ball today...and we're seeing, at worst...the top thousand something coming here and at best top 100.  that says plenty about the players who rise to this level.

if they're not saviors yet...so be it.

« Reply #761 on: December 11, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:46:05 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #762 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
Amir size and rebounding is going to be a big. Our zone is about lenth and Amir fits the bill.

Here we go again, overating these kids at this point in time.Amir is a nice player and will EVENTUALLY turn into a contriutor, but he is by no mens a difference maker.  Not to mention, he is going to need a good month or so before he can even get on the floor at this level.  Let me guess, it was some of you guys who touted Nuri as the next NBA star.  Give Amir a chance to get acclimated to the situation before you start touting him as the next coming.

Nobody saw Nuri play to call him an NBA player.  We all read what was written about him from Chad Ford of ESPN.com.  Does he look like that now?  No.  But all people here did was go off of what an expert was saying.  Be fair.

Axtually I am being fair.  Many people on this site saw Nuri in the NJC championships and were touting him then.  Several posters and friends of mine saw him as well and saw nothing that would even slightly resemble an NBA player at that time.  He lacked a decent shot and his handle was inconsistent at best.  I dont see his leaving as a big loss at all.

« Reply #763 on: December 11, 2011, 06:33:01 PM »
Nothing new but here is a short piece on Amir joining us.

http://212sports.com/college/st-johns/stjohns-latest-news/1068-amir-garrett-set-to-join-red-storm
How does this guy say Pelle and Sampson have decommitted and will enroll elsewhere when we are still under consideration by both of them? ???

Moose

« Reply #764 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
Nothing new but here is a short piece on Amir joining us.

http://212sports.com/college/st-johns/stjohns-latest-news/1068-amir-garrett-set-to-join-red-storm
How does this guy say Pelle and Sampson have decommitted and will enroll elsewhere when we are still under consideration by both of them? ???

I would take it with a grain of salt.  We are still very much in it for Jakarr.  This site seems like nothing more than a chance to rehash what is found on google.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #765 on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »
I think Amir will be this year's Polee, but win, but with a bit more ball-handling and three pt attempts.

« Reply #766 on: December 12, 2011, 07:22:49 PM »
when I saw amir play I was impressed with his passing. I think hell be a good person to put in the middle against a two three.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #767 on: December 12, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »
when I saw amir play I was impressed with his passing. I think hell be a good person to put in the middle against a two three.

Ideally that spot is perfect for Moe but he has to play out of position unfortunately.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »

Ideally that spot is perfect for Moe but he has to play out of position unfortunately.

Absolutely. Moe is great from the high post/elbow area. I think amir and him will form a nice tandem. It will be great to have three forwards in there at all time. All of them can run as well.

When amir comes back I think you will see the four forwards getting all around equal minutes with mo getting a little more than the rest.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:16:16 AM by jumpinjohnny »

Marillac

« Reply #769 on: December 15, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
Garrett is listed at 6'6 210 on Brigton's roster!  That is a lot of Beef on Amir...I think that puts him as the second heaviest player on the roster behind GG.  Wood is listed at 175 and Nichols at 185 (6'5 and 6'6, respectively).

While I'm not too impressed with Garrett's polish as a SF, I think he will be much better than Polee was in the undersized PF role.  I'm impressed by Garrett's strong base, as he always seems to be able to keep his guy on his back or hip while going after boards.  Polee was one of the worst at boxing out and fighting for boards that I've ever seen at that height.  Garrett should help from jump street in this area, especially out of our chaotic zone. 

« Reply #770 on: December 15, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
Garrett is listed at 6'6 210 on Brigton's roster!  That is a lot of Beef on Amir...I think that puts him as the second heaviest player on the roster behind GG.  Wood is listed at 175 and Nichols at 185 (6'5 and 6'6, respectively).

While I'm not too impressed with Garrett's polish as a SF, I think he will be much better than Polee was in the undersized PF role.  I'm impressed by Garrett's strong base, as he always seems to be able to keep his guy on his back or hip while going after boards.  Polee was one of the worst at boxing out and fighting for boards that I've ever seen at that height.  Garrett should help from jump street in this area, especially out of our chaotic zone. 

The school says that pointer weighs less than moe. Anyone else have a hard time believing it?

« Reply #771 on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
Believe basketball unlike football where weight is more important just makes up a number.

« Reply #772 on: December 20, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Amir cleared to play tomorrow!

#stjbb RT @GoodmanCBS: Amir Garrett has been cleared to play at St. John's, Garrett's father told CBSSports.com