Steve Lavin Takes New York by Storm [AOL Fan House]

• 4 replies
Steve Lavin Takes New York by Storm [AOL Fan House]
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
Brett McMurphy
Senior NCAA Writer

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Even before Steve Lavin is one sentence into answering my first question, a realization quickly settles in: The fully-charged batteries in my digital recorder will not be able to outlast St. John's new basketball coach.

Lavin is extraordinarily accommodating and gracious with his time. And, boy can he talk. He manages to reference plate tectonics, continental drift speed, the Bible, poetry, John Wooden, Rome, Don Coryell, Don Zimmer, Paris, Sid Gillman, Joe Torre, Noah's Ark, Gene Keady and the Karate Kid's Mr. Miyaga. And that's just in the first 10 minutes.

There has never been a question about Lavin's gift of gab. But the former UCLA coach did have doubts if he would ever return to the sideline. That all changed on March 30.

"St. John's was the first school that presented three kind of key elements that I looked for in deciding to make a return to coaching: a great opportunity, the timing had to be right and it had to be a good fit," Lavin told FanHouse earlier this summer at the Jimmy V/Dick Vitale gala for cancer research. "This is the first one where all of those lined up.

"Obviously what was attractive is the tradition and heritage of St. John's, the Big East Conference, playing your home games in Madison Square Garden and the New York, New Jersey greater metro area recruiting base. There wasn't a school that offered a better opportunity to return to the sideline than this."

Despite not having coached in seven years since a one-point loss to Oregon in the second round of the 2003 Pac-10 tournament, Lavin's hiring created an instant buzz for St. John's. The video from his initial press conference on the school's official website was viewed 51,000 times -- or about 49,000 more than the previous most watched video at redstormsports.com. The school also has sold 200 more season tickets than last season with the first game still more than three months away.

Read More
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

Re: Steve Lavin Takes New York by Storm [AOL Fan House]
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
 How can you not be pumped after reading that? 

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
From what I gather coach lavin is much more open to using than media to his advantage than norm was as he was more closed door with the media
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »
He's done more interviews in 4 months than Norm did in 6 years.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
He's done more interviews in 4 months than Norm did in 6 years.
From a media perspective, he's frankly more captivating too.